What you can or can't do?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, philjw said:

It is also not allowed to offer help the crew of any other boat at the lock you are waiting for. You must stay with your boat at all times, preferably inside the cabin, until the lock is free for use.  And of course you must close the gates after leaving regardless of that oncoming boat.....

And after leaving the lock, you must pull the boat into the side, and all your crew must board, even if the next lock is only 3 or 4 boat lengths away. On arrival at the next lock you must fully moor up to bollards, rings or mooring pins before one of your crew is allowed to walk to the lock and draw a paddle...

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

If your a member of the National Bargee Travellers Association, you can moor where you like for as long as you like.

Harsh ---- But fair

9 hours ago, Northernboater said:

You can post a lot or post little, the more post counts you have and if you post on every Topic even if it is irreverent to the topic the more you are experienced in boating, even if you don't have or never had a boat.

A lot of posts are irreverent yet still relevant !

I would also suggest that there are many forum members that do not have a boat that are vastly more experienced than some people who do own their own boat. (obviously not forum members thoiugh!) 

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

And after leaving the lock, you must pull the boat into the side, and all your crew must board, even if the next lock is only 3 or 4 boat lengths away. On arrival at the next lock you must fully moor up to bollards, rings or mooring pins before one of your crew is allowed to walk to the lock and draw a paddle...

Dont forget, use all three ropes

15 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Further to my post in the walking the gunnels thread with regard to being told that walking the gunnels whilst underway is illegal, and the fact that once a stupid point of view is voiced as fact it doesn't take long for people to believe and start repeating it.

This has started me wondering are there any other boating rules/regulations that belong in the urban myth catagory?

It didn't take long for idiots running schools to ban conkers because of all the non existent conker related eye injuries, all because certain idiot newspapers (newspapers as used in its loosest possible term) ran a story about some schools banning them and idiots followed suit.

So what complete tosh have you heard on the cut that you can or can't do?

I've heard there is a rule about slowing down when passing moored boats - not a lot of people know that one it seems!

Edited by Horace42
typo

4 hours ago, NickF said:

A lot of posts are irreverent yet still relevant !

I would also suggest that there are many forum members that do not have a boat that are vastly more experienced than some people who do own their own boat. (obviously not forum members thoiugh!)

What like you? I doubt someone that does not own a boat or maybe never has been on one and worked the canal system has more experience then someone that has, anyone can search on the internet then post on here but owning a boat and working it is a different matter. 

15 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

What like you? I doubt someone that does not own a boat or maybe never has been on one and worked the canal system has more experience then someone that has, anyone can search on the internet then post on here but owning a boat and working it is a different matter. 

You ignore all those who have owned a boat for decades but have retired from boat ownership.  You also ignore those who hire for weeks every year and clock up more hours than marina dwellers.  And there are those who crew for friends and family.

Relevant, but not entirely on topic.

We are at present on the River Avon. They have slightly different 'rules' than CRT in locks. 

Boat to be tied Fore and Aft. Which is difficult to achieve. Crew member,singular,on lock side. Skipper secures stern having passed line to crew member and same then passes around round Post and hands back to skipper. Skipper then legs it to bow, throws line to crew member,who then secures line. Opens ground paddle, in the case of PERSHORE lock is away from the lockside and halfway between top and bottom gates. Boat is raised slightly and pushed away from lockside. Crew member racing around retrying bow rope as it's come loose as the only securing method is a round pole, in addition to raising the paddle a little more and a bit more. Boats rises again and pulls the rope a little more. When gate paddles are submerged you can then open them. All hell breaks loose and the whole kiboogle goes to pot. Eventually the boat settles and the lock fills. You have to open both gates on a wide lock to reduce damage,as we always bash the gages as we speed out of the single opened gate. You leave the gates open regardless of direction of travel.

or.......use the centre line!!! and carry on as we've done for quite a few years.

Moorings are far and few between. 

You can't  travel over the river bed more than 4mph upstream and 6mph downstream. Oh yes you can,with a 50 hp Barrus.

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

sorry, MJG has gone to the caravan forums now.

I think we have found the new MJG below.

34 minutes ago, mross said:

You ignore all those who have owned a boat for decades but have retired from boat ownership.  You also ignore those who hire for weeks every year and clock up more hours than marina dwellers.  And there are those who crew for friends and family.

No I don't I'm talking about people who have never had a boat, been on one and have never been on a canal except to walk along the Towpath.

2 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

No I don't I'm talking about people who have never had a boat, been on one and have never been on a canal except to walk along the Towpath.

To be fair, that's not what you said in your earlier post, so Mross' interpretation was a valid one.

Priority at lock landings is accordingly ......

1 ... Fishermen

2 ... GRP boats

3 ... Families feeding ducks

4 ... Hire boats

Ex working boats just sit in the middle of the cut waiting, those with newish boats will go berry picking on the offside when they try to do the same.

Whether they end up in soft bushes or hard scratchy branches is in direct proportion to how many shillings they spent having the cabin sides coach painted.

Priority for mooring outside popular pubs and V.Ms. is limited strictly to boats with marginally less on their roof than is sitting on the towpath next to them, and must be unerringly committed to staying put for months on end.

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

To be fair, that's not what you said in your earlier post, so Mross' interpretation was a valid one.

It's how you interpret it. I said "don't and never had" meaning what I said above, I'm sure Mross will get another 10 post on his count out of this LOL.

Edited by Northernboater

Not really: originally you mentioned people who don't own a boat OR MAYBE have never been on one, who could be two different lots.

Of course, I agree that people who have never been on one are not likely to know as much as those who have.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not really: originally you mentioned people who don't own a boat OR MAYBE have never been on one, who could be two different lots.

Of course, I agree that people who have never been on one are not likely to know as much as those who have.

Not really bothered, Oh I have one more post to my count. YeHa.

11 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

Not really bothered, Oh I have one more post to my count. YeHa.

As you've been a bit of a forum shrinking violet, averaging fewer than 100 posts a year, it is good to see you posting more frequently than hitherto.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As you've been a bit of a forum shrinking violet, averaging fewer than 100 posts a year, it is good to see you posting more frequently than hitherto.

Presuming that there wasn't a previous Forum membership, of course.