Kelvin T6 Injector refitting

orlando

Featured Posts

Just had all the  injectors in for a service and they were shot blasted.  Now they feel loose in the bores even though they were a real bugger to remove and I've got blow by on two of  them.  Should I have used some kind of sealant or caulking?  I remember removing rings of some kind of material from them on removal any ideas what it may/should be ?

Thanks.

I don't know about the T6 but injectors usually have soft copper sealing rings under them.

They will work harden when compressed but if you re-fitted the old ones, it would have been a good idea to anneal them to re-soften them (by heating to red heat then allowing to cool) first.

Very likely some grit/rust/muck under the copper washer down the injector hole, stops the washer seating properly. The injector holding down nuts need to be tight as well.

Packing round the injectors? That'll be  compacted dust from the grain cargo in times past! Assuming it's Panary  that has the T6?

7 hours ago, orlando said:

Thanks for that Mike the Boilerman. New washers fitted, but really wondering about the packing I removed...

I'm with billh on this. If there are conventional copper washers, then they will almost certainly be the only component doing the sealing, so the blow-by will be a fault with the copper washer seal. There are several possibilities:

1) Copper washers not made from fully annealed copper
2) Dirt or grit on one of the sealing faces
3) Fixing nuts not sufficiently tightened
4) Fixing nuts not tightened in a 'balanced' way, assuming there are two. Start with both finger tight, then put 1/4 or 1/8th turn on each nut alternately. Fully tightening one nut, then fully tightening the other will lead to the injector being tilted slightly, the sealing washer being distorted and probable blow-by.

This is conventional advice for generic injectors. As I said in my last post I don't know exactly how the T6 injector is designed so none of this may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much gents.  Removed said injector and on examining copper washer saw where the blow by was occurring. Gently lapped the seating reversed copper washer and tightened up as you advised.  Panary's engine now back in working order and less smokey.

Thanks again.