Wetroom ................... again

Gal

Featured Posts

Back on the wetroom subject. We hired a narrowboat last year, we were so impressed with her and we had a great week. We enjoyed it, and many previous canal holidays, so much that we have now bought a  narrowboat that we are currently re-fitting in reverse layout. The boat that we hired last had a vinyl floor (with vinyl that curved up all walls ans was neatly welded at the mitred corners) wetroom which was fantastic, very clean, modern and functional. I would like to put one in our boat 'Garoline'. I am hoping that someone on here might have some photos or details of something that they have seen or have themselves and possibly details of a decent vinyl wetroom installer ?       Many thanks

Gary, Caroline & Garoline.

I`ve installed a wetroom in my sailaway. The bathroom is 1800mm long by 1100mm wide. The following was the process I used. Bought a Impey wetroom former 800mm by 800mm-online. Raised it on battens  sufficiently to get a Impey low level pump waste under and levelled the remaining 300mm area again with batten and ply. Pipework for the waste exited between the battens to the pump located outside the bathroom. Installed a raised division across the bathroom thus confining the water from the shower in a 800mm by 1100mm area. A vinyl membrane was then installed both in the 800mm by 1100mm area dressed up all around including the raised (100mm high ) division. The remainder of the bathroom 800mm by 1000mm was also vinylled  and I`ve installed a vanity unit and toilet in this area. I have actually bought two bespoked double bi-fold doors from Spain which as they both fold back open up the bathroom completely. I decided on these as it ensures that the toilet and vanity unit do not get covered in water especially when the grand children are onboard. The raised division does create a step but chose that as obviously when others are moving about the vessel it ensures that water on the floor is contained. All the walls have been clad in waterproof panelling. No pictures yet available as the doors not yet installed and I`v not got a wide angle lens camera. Hope this helps. 

• Greenie 1

Hi  jddevil,

thanks for your very detailed reply, it sounds great .......................I'm assuming that you glued the vinyl to the former, the floor and as you said dressed all around the raised division (I'm assuming you pushed the vinyl tightly into the raised section corners and edges to make it look like an integral part of the floor ? ) Did you take the vinyl up the walls slightly ?, if so did you weld the corners ? The doors sound like a really good idea, I was thinking along the same lines but could not find anything suitable so thought of using a shower curtain right across the room to try to avoid soaking the toilet, sink etc  when using the shower (your idea of the raised division would work well with this)  Id love to see some photos even if it is unfinished ...........................

Gal.

Vinyl was fitted by a professional carpet layer that I used in my business. They supplied the vinyl to my choice, the necessary "coving" that is fitted around the perimeters and the "capping" around the wall up stands. All glued in place with welded corners.  Total cost for the room £400. I thought this reasonable and gives me peace of mind regarding leaks. Having said that I have made a spy hole to be hidden behind hall way skirting which will enable me to view the waste and pipe under the Impey former. The central division ( a piece of 125mm=5 inch oak fixed on its edge ) whilst dressed up both sides was not capped as it is not possible to turn the vinyl at such a acute 90 degree angle. I intend capping myself with some u shaped plastic of a different colour to ensure idiots like me are aware of the divisions existence and hopefully prevent tripping !!!!! Regarding pictures as stated at this moment in time I`ve no wide angle camera lens and will have to get one of my children to oblige.

6 hours ago, Gal said:

I'm assuming you pushed the vinyl tightly into the raised section corners and edges to make it look like an integral part of the floor

As stated all perimeters including what is a division in the form of a up stand across the room  is coved as vinyl cannot be laid at an acute angle. The coving is 38mm wide. 

Ive got a stainless steel tray which was made to measure to fit the room. It has outlets which are connected to the pump outside the shower room. The walls are lined with membrane and on top of that I have got T&G cladding which finishes below the upstands on the stainless tray. I have 3 timber bearers to which are fixed timber slats to allow the shower water to run through, collect in the tray and be pumped overboard. All easy to get to and no problems after 5 years, still looks like new!

I think that simply put there are two basic rules to a wet room:

1. The base must have at least a 100mm upstand and must be reliably watertight. 

2. The sides must overlap the upstand so that water cannot pass outside of the base. 

I guess it's also obvious that the walls must be totally watertight too, whether that's by using bathroom panels or by use of a membrane.