Waste Oil

Drayke

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

No, but you might have just put me off it. As I recall, on my first boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads the bogs used to flush straight into the river but that changed many years ago, is the Great Ouse still in a time warp?

Some boats on the broads still do. The sewage works discharges at Trowse

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some boats on the broads still do. The sewage works discharges at Trowse

I don't think any of the hire boat do, and haven't done for a while.

When you say that the sewage works discharges at Trowse, I'm assuming that the discharge is in fact treated water, which I have no real issue with. Back in the mid 1980's in Torbay we were still pumping raw sh*t out into the sea off Hopes Nose which was a real treat in an easterly wind since it pushed it all ashore at Goodrington, quite a pleasant walk on the beach through the turds and sanitary towels as I recall. At that time, as a minor protest, I refused to clear up after my dog when he left a deposit in the gutter, if we were happy pumping this into the sea then a few extra dog turds going the same way were pretty small beer in my estimation. When we cleaned up our act and treated the sewage, I cleaned up my act and cleaned up after the dog.

The only time we now discharge raw untreated sewage as far as I'm aware is is under flood conditions when the street drainage, system that also passes through the treatment works, overwhelms the system, under those conditions they rather hope that dilution in flood water will reduce the problem.

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The only time we now discharge raw untreated sewage as far as I'm aware is is under flood conditions when the street drainage, system that also passes through the treatment works, overwhelms the system, under those conditions they rather hope that dilution in flood water will reduce the problem.

Now how many times has that been on the Thames in recent years. Dont follow the link if you are eating https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/22/thames-water-hit-with-record-fine-for-huge-sewage-leaks

A few years back http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/anglian-water-fined-22-000-for-polluting-a-norfolk-river-1-722116

It was 1960 when they passed the Bylaw prohibiting sewage discharge from motorboats on the Broads.

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Now how many times has that been on the Thames in recent years. Dont follow the link if you are eating https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/22/thames-water-hit-with-record-fine-for-huge-sewage-leaks

In fairness that does rather prove the point. The water companies that discharge untreated sewage are breaking the law and being fined. Back in the 1980's it was perfectly lawful to do so because I can clearly recall walking on Goodrington beach with my dog and coming across sanitary towels and turds, in those days it was just considered 'one of those things' due to adverse weather conditions. Now they cannot do it, it was one of those good things that came out of the EU (Council Directive 2000/60/EC) otherwise we'd still be pumping raw sh*t into the sea.

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

In fairness that does rather prove the point. The water companies that discharge untreated sewage are breaking the law and being fined. Back in the 1980's it was perfectly lawful to do so because I can clearly recall walking on Goodrington beach with my dog and coming across sanitary towels and turds, in those days it was just considered 'one of those things' due to adverse weather conditions. Now they cannot do it, it was one of those good things that came out of the EU (Council Directive 2000/60/EC) otherwise we'd still be pumping raw sh*t into the sea.

I use to windsurf off Gt Yarmouth in the early 80s and the turds would float over the board.

In the very early 80s, we had a fishing boat and would enter the annual 'Boat Fishing Competition' in Liverpool Bay - there was a fantastic 'hotspot' a couple of miles offshore which was where the sewage pipe discharged its contents - the size & number of Plaice, Dabs and Cod was remarkable.

It was in the days before GPS and we had a 'Decca' navigator - anyone remember them ?

When fishing close inshore in the Mersey estuary we caught many 'deformed' fish and many diseased fish - it was hardly surprising when every couple of hours an enormous 'brown scum' would be flushed down river and drift off / break up in the sea - never knew what it was or where it came from but it had a very acrid smell.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was in the days before GPS and we had a 'Decca' navigator - anyone remember them ?

Yes. My dad had one, he was always went for new technology,an early user of betamax too. The Decca was pretty good iirc. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yes. My dad had one, he was always went for new technology,an early user of betamax too. The Decca was pretty good iirc. 

Originally you could only rent them from Decca - but we did buy on off the 1st to be offered for sale.

I found them to be 'better than nothing' but not particularly good for getting exactly on a fishing 'mark' - they relied on radio signals from land based stations and tri-angulated your position - rain, fog, low cloud and 'Neptune' all interfered with the transmissions and you could be several 100 yards away from a mark you had actually 'way-pointed' the previous day.

Being based out of Holyhead we primarily used Chain 3B.

decca_ukmap.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I found them to be 'better than nothing' but not particularly good for getting exactly on a fishing 'mark' - they relied on radio signals from land based stations and tri-angulated your position - rain, fog, low cloud and 'Neptune' all interfered with the transmissions and you could be several 100 yards away from a mark you had actually 'way-pointed' the previous day.

Ah, yes, that sounds right. it would get you close to a waypoint as you say, but wasn't repeatable. I think it was used as a rough guide, nowhere near as accurate as GPS, but a step up from the old RDF sets. 

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was 1960 when they passed the Bylaw prohibiting sewage discharge from motorboats on the Broads.

I first hired a boat in 1974 (a cruiser on the T&M) and it certainly discharged its toilet into the water.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the very early 80s, we had a fishing boat and would enter the annual 'Boat Fishing Competition' in Liverpool Bay - there was a fantastic 'hotspot' a couple of miles offshore which was where the sewage pipe discharged its contents - the size & number of Plaice, Dabs and Cod was remarkable.

When fishing close inshore in the Mersey estuary we caught many 'deformed' fish and many diseased fish - it was hardly surprising when every couple of hours an enormous 'brown scum' would be flushed down river and drift off / break up in the sea - never knew what it was or where it came from but it had a very acrid smell.

It was much the same in Torbay, the sewage outfall pipes were at Sharkham Point on the Brixham side and Hopes Nose on the Torquay side. I don't know about plaice, dabs (bottom feeders) or cod (predators) but the fish that the day trippers used to come back to the holiday camp where I worked with black sacks so full of mackerel that they didn't know what to do with them. If you don't gut them the day you catch them they rapidly go off and, since it was apparent that it was turds they were eating I never had much appetite for them:sick:

10 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

You fill a tin can 3/4 full with ash or sand and fill it full of oil, place a firelighter on top, and burn it in your stove. The ash stops the oil boiling over. Leave the tins lid on a "hinge" to regulate the flame. You will get a low heat from it for a couple of hours.

That's one way of keeping firefighters in a job.  :(

On 21/06/2017 at 08:45, mango said:

That's one way of keeping firefighters in a job.  :(

And polluting the atmosphere. I bet the combustion products would be loaded with poisons and I would want to be breathing them. 

10 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

You fill a tin can 3/4 full with ash or sand and fill it full of oil, place a firelighter on top, and burn it in your stove. The ash stops the oil boiling over. Leave the tins lid on a "hinge" to regulate the flame. You will get a low heat from it for a couple of hours.

WW2 desert troops stove - as described (without the firelighter)

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And polluting the atmosphere. I bet the combustion products would be loaded with poisons and I would want to be breathing them. 

Why would you want to breathe them? Do you have a death wish? 

Oh, I see, it was a typo. :P

I can confirm first hand that the council tip at Middlewich, with its own convenient mooring bollards, still allows boaters to walk in and dispose of engine oil, the staff even say "thank you" as you leave!

Have just spent a week in Middlewich and found the town and people very boater friendly.

............Dave

On 7 June 2017 at 20:53, Ace 01 said:

There is a council run recycling/tip about 50 yds along the road on the opposite side to the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Junction on the W and B with the Droitwich.  They also do an excellent Sunday Lunch every day of the week (cheaper during the week).  Good excuse as any to stop by a pub (moorings outside or other side of bridge)

Cheers

David

Not rubbish then?  :-)

7 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I thought it was petrol they used.

During WW2 my dad was stationed on a little island off Southern Italy working an RDF station on top of a mountain and they used sand in a bucket with petrol from the gennie as fuel.  He often used to tell his story of what happened to his mate that decided to add more petrol when it was already lit.