Water Wanderer

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 05/06/2017 at 12:25, Ray T said:
'Water Kelpie' near Hayes on the Grand Union Canal

As a slight aside, Water Kelpie was owned and lived on at Uxbridge in the 1970s by Nick and Rachel Walker. In 1975 Nick bought the Clyde puffer VIC32 which he still runs taking passengers on the Crinan canal.

9 hours ago, Yorksshirepud said:

in October 1982 we rented another narrow  boat but forget the name. We met a lovely couple who were living on their boat they had build . He was a Jazz Musician and she was a writer . Their name was Owen and Iris Bryce.   

If I remember correctly Owen and Iris Bryce owned a boat named BIX :captain:

On 12/10/2017 at 11:38, Yorksshirepud said:

Pluto. Glad my post went through as I was not sure if I had done it correctly. I just joined so I  could reply about the " Water Wanderer ". I will look through all my photos the next few days and see what I can come up with.

i have also often wondered what happened to the lovely narrow  boat called "Dorothy Grace" we rented in 1976  

in October 1982 we rented another narrow  boat but forget the name. We met a lovely couple who were living on their boat they had build . He was a Jazz Musician and she was a writer . Their name was Owen and Iris Bryce.   

Such an ideal way to get away from the life in a city.

I would really like to see your photos of the "Water Wanderer" too, if you can find them.

When she was operating in France she was booked through Continental Waterways and often cruised together with a smaller barge that was named "Water Wanderer 2" this was to enable them to accept slightly bigger groups.

Peter.

Sadly I have only come up with 2 photos this far. Doubt they will be much of interest as they only show the inside end of the boat. Did find the receipt for the 5 day trip. Cost us $142 .Seems quite reasonable these days but in 1964 it was a little pricey. Actually not that pricey when you consider we received 3 meals a day with snacks included. I also found 2 booklets “Cruising on the Trent Waterway”and “Cruising on the Fossdyke and Witham Navigations”  Most interesting looking at them after so many years.   I have also received in the mail from Amazon 3 books written by Iris Bryce on their life as canal liveaboards. I will keep looking to see if I can find any photos we may have taken of the outside of the “Water Wanderer”. Quite a task going through 53 years of photos. 

1 hour ago, Yorksshirepud said:

Sadly I have only come up with 2 photos this far. Doubt they will be much of interest as they only show the inside end of the boat. Did find the receipt for the 5 day trip. Cost us $142 .Seems quite reasonable these days but in 1964 it was a little pricey. Actually not that pricey when you consider we received 3 meals a day with snacks included. I also found 2 booklets “Cruising on the Trent Waterway”and “Cruising on the Fossdyke and Witham Navigations”  Most interesting looking at them after so many years.   I have also received in the mail from Amazon 3 books written by Iris Bryce on their life as canal liveaboards. I will keep looking to see if I can find any photos we may have taken of the outside of the “Water Wanderer”. Quite a task going through 53 years of photos. 

Actually, inside photos would be of interest, if they show how things were arranged for passengers.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello everybody. I spent a few days several times on these two barges which traveled together on the Canal du Midi in the late 70s. The captain was called Brian and his wife Lili. She was from Mauritius. And it was very pleasant to travel in the shade of the plane trees. Unfortunately, I only found a few photos that I am happy to attach. The first is a postcard sold on board.

Water Wanderer 01.jpg

Water Wanderer 03.jpg

Water Wanderer 02.jpg

Jen-in-Wellies: Oh no. It was in the south of France, on the canal du midi. But I can't remember where I took the picture. It was about 45 years ago. I just remember our tiny little cabin was at the front of the barge and only reachable by a hatch !