Montgomeryshire Canal

Featured Posts

I have noted that the Montgomeryshire Canal through to Welshpool and beyond has potential of being a worthwhile walk to do. Improvement of the towing path has opened up a scenic walk. There is also a lot to see that includes canal houses, innovative lock gear, lift bridges (old and new) and there are parts where the boats still cannot go. There are elements of industrial archeology such as canal side limekilns that are a reminder of why this waterway was constructed.

Years ago  (1991 I think) I walked from Newtown to Frankton with two friends over a bank holiday weekend. We camped, sort of. I had a Fiat Panda, the seats folded down form a bed, so my mate and his girlfriend slept in it whilst I found a bridge, church porch or hedge to sleep under. I must have been fit as each morning I dropped my bike off at the day's destination, drove back to the start, and at the end of the day cycled to get the car back!

It was a fascinating walk, and I still value the perspective it gave me on the history of the whole canal and the scenery and towns along the route

• 4 months later...

Definitely walk-able. In May this year I (as part of a team of 3) did the Montgomery Triathlon. It's a yearly think I think, roughly 17 mile bike ride, 11 mile walk, 7 mile canoe. Went from Newtown to Lower Frankton...

http://www.montgomerycanal.me.uk/triathlon2017.pdf

...anyhow, it's certainly doable by foot. It was a brilliant day out, pretty sure they're having it again in 2018 and I'd highly recommend it. You don't need to be an athlete, our team aren't built for speed or agility, it has to be said!

I quite fancy getting the train to Newtown one morning, then cycling back along that route before joining the Llangollen canal and then the Shroppy and riding back to Chester, perhaps having a stop over round Ellesmere for the night at a B&B, as from Barbridge/Hurleston to Chester the towpath is uncut.