K&A Trip planned

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

I jump off the balance beam, not bothering with the stirrups, though I appreciate some might find this difficult.

Agreed. The stirrups are deeply seductive. 

I've learned to ignore them, but it feels deeply counter-intuitive. Like not smiling back at that weird girl smiling at you across the room in the pub :)

Nice wine, this...

I always do though!

Thanks for the input guys and girls ... and Mike! ;-)

I am a seasoned boater (I think) having lived aboard for 16 years now. However, am not sure my other half (5ft) would be upto jumping great distances to attempt to hold 25 tons in whilst I try to get a long scaff board across on a regular basis!

So, VM's ... are they all hogged but cc'ers who don't cc or are there, essentially, too many hire boats for the available VM's?

We'd pay for overnight marina moorings but there doesn't appear to be that many.

4 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I am a seasoned boater (I think) having lived aboard for 16 years now. However, am not sure my other half (5ft) would be upto jumping great distances to attempt to hold 25 tons in whilst I try to get a long scaff board across on a regular basis!

So, VM's ... are they all hogged but cc'ers who don't cc or are there, essentially, too many hire boats for the available VM's?

We'd pay for overnight marina moorings but there doesn't appear to be that many.

Funny aint it how things change. We moved onboard in 89 and used to oft jump from the boat etc and even jump across from one lock gate to another yes I know I know whata plonker etc I agree. We were babies then only in our mid thirties so it didnt hurt but alas now jumping is well off the cards lol. I step gingerly everywhere and not until the boat is at a complete standstill. As for boarding planks ohhhh noooooooo not on your nellie. One point of order here there is no such thing as a ccer who doesnt cc they are cmers and have a different licence B)

8 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

It's not difficult once you develop your technique. I manage it easily enough with a 68ft 22 tonne boat entirely on my own. And it doesn't involve any jumping.

Reading through to Devizes you probably will be okay to find visitor moorings spaces, just don't leave it till too late in the day. I haven't been below Caen Hill flight for a while but I do know it is considerably busier, with several hire boat companies and a large marina. Despite the gossip it's congestion rather than liveaboards not moving causing a problem. 

Well I'd estimate there are about 500 CCers on the K&A and a further 200 hire boats. And about 100 proper VM spaces on piling with rings. Very little serious hogging seems to go on these days thanks to CRT now carrying out a degree of meaningful enforcement but as you can see, it is a rather intense game of musical chairs. If you insist on mooring only on VMs with piling and rings, the K&A is probably not for you.

Just done Birmingham to Wolverhampton today. Very good beer in the Great Western at a good price, but otherwise the K&A wins hands down, I just can't understand why people don't like it. A long gangplank is a small price to pay for clean, safe, graffiti free moorings. And they talk all funny up here.

..............Dave

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's not difficult once you develop your technique. I manage it easily enough with a 68ft 22 tonne boat entirely on my own. And it doesn't involve any jumping.

managed technique for years Mike, and with a small Woolwich drawing almost 4 ft. However, approaching 62, three hip replacements, spondylolisthesis (back) which has affected upper body strength/shoulders/arms/hands etc etc. Can still do Denham Deep on my own but avoid where possible as recovery from a slip not what it was. As previously mentioned, draft is around 2'8" - 2'9" so stern could be further out making the occasional jump mandatory.

May consider not going so far along the K&A now or even do the Oxford ring again but clockwise this time.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I'd estimate there are about 500 CCers on the K&A and a further 200 hire boats. And about 100 proper VM spaces on piling with rings. Very little serious hogging seems to go on these days thanks to CRT now carrying out a degree of meaningful enforcement but as you can see, it is a rather intense game of musical chairs. If you insist on mooring only on VMs with piling and rings, the K&A is probably not for you.

Thanks again Mike (catching up with replies). Am not bothered about proper VM's, rings, piling. Am happy to moor half a mile away on the towpath but providing it's not more than say 4 feet away from the boat nor 4 ft high!

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Just done Birmingham to Wolverhampton today. Very good beer in the Great Western at a good price, but otherwise the K&A wins hands down, I just can't understand why people don't like it. A long gangplank is a small price to pay for clean, safe, graffiti free moorings. And they talk all funny up here.

..............Dave

how long a gang plank Dave? Do you get the bow in? What's your draft and length?

13 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

managed technique for years Mike, and with a small Woolwich drawing almost 4 ft. However, approaching 62, three hip replacements, spondylolisthesis (back) which has affected upper body strength/shoulders/arms/hands etc etc. Can still do Denham Deep on my own but avoid where possible as recovery from a slip not what it was. As previously mentioned, draft is around 2'8" - 2'9" so stern could be further out making the occasional jump mandatory.

May consider not going so far along the K&A now or even do the Oxford ring again but clockwise this time.

Thanks again Mike (catching up with replies). Am not bothered about proper VM's, rings, piling. Am happy to moor half a mile away on the towpath but providing it's not more than say 4 feet away from the boat nor 4 ft high!

Blimey so many hips! I'm the same age and so grateful to still be reasonably fit and had none of all that yet. I can see your concern now you mention this.

My boat too draws 2ft 8in or perhaps a bit more right at the skeg. And about 1ft 8in at the bow. When mooring up I steer the bow into the bank and let it ground a foot or two away. I let the stern drift across the cut and do whatever it likes while I secure the bow. I either step off the bow onto the bank (if close enough) or put my plank out which is about 7ft long and disembark across that. Then knock in a bigger than standard mooring stake and tie the bow line to it. Go back onto the boat and throw the stern line ashore (or centre line if the stern has drifted too far off the bank by now).

Go back onto the bank and haul the stern in as close as poss. The stern usually grounds about six to ten feet out but that's fine for the K&A. Knock in a stern line mooring stake. Secure the stern. Re-tighten the mooring lines. This usually results in the bow settling in 3 ft or so from the bank and the stern six feet.  No need for fenders as the chine of the boat is against the mud. The chine tends to climb the mud and boat heels over slightly with the surge from passing boats. This bothers some people but I can ignore it.

Return to the bow and secure the gang plank to the bank with a stake (through a hole drilled in the plank at each end), and to the boat using a bit of scrap rope. I tie the boat end of it to a D shackle though a hole I drilled through the lip of the gunwale. This ensures the plank is still there in the morning or when I return to the boat.

• Greenie 1

On 31 May 2017 at 10:25, Markinaboat said:

We have gotten as far as Bath so far over about a three week period. Haven't found it to difficult finding moorings though we do tend to moor early afternoon. It's been lovely so far, really enjoying it.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey so many hips! I'm the same age and so grateful to still be reasonably fit and had none of all that yet. I can see your concern now you mention this.

My boat too draws 2ft 8in or perhaps a bit more right at the skeg. And about 1ft 8in at the bow. When mooring up I steer the bow into the bank and let it ground a foot or two away. I let the stern drift across the cut and do whatever it likes while I secure the bow. I either step off the bow onto the bank (if close enough) or put my plank out which is about 7ft long and disembark across that. Then knock in a bigger than standard mooring stake and tie the bow line to it. Go back onto the boat and throw the stern line ashore (or centre line if the stern has drifted too far off the bank by now).

Go back onto the bank and haul the stern in as close as poss. The stern usually grounds about six to ten feet out but that's fine for the K&A. Knock in a stern line mooring stake. Secure the stern. Re-tighten the mooring lines. This usually results in the bow settling in 3 ft or so from the bank and the stern six feet.  No need for fenders as the chine of the boat is against the mud. The chine tends to climb the mud and boat heels over slightly with the surge from passing boats. This bothers some people but I can ignore it.

Return to the bow and secure the gang plank to the bank with a stake (through a hole drilled in the plank at each end), and to the boat using a bit of scrap rope. I tie the boat end of it to a D shackle though a hole I drilled through the lip of the gunwale. This ensures the plank is still there in the morning or when I return to the boat.

Very detailed reply Mike. Do you moor on the off side when it's windy :P

On 31/05/2017 at 19:15, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have spent much of today both walking and cycling along the K&A and there are a lot more ringed visitor moorings now than there were when i moored down here 15 years ago. There were plenty of Visitor spaces above the lock at Bradford on Avon about 11am this morning , although it may get full later in the day, and there were still quite a few spaces at Bathampton at 4pm this afternoon. There were also a lot of non ringed spaces between Limpley Stoke and Bathampton, although you may have to jostle a bit with the 100+ liveaboard boats also moored on this 4 mile section.

Edited by David Schweizer

Mooring is now slightly better on visitor moorings Semington to Bath due to efforts of Cart, mooring on the river at Bath is now much reduced as building work is taking place and the moorings near the weir have been removed ( forever). Just returned from Bristol at the end of last week and found no moorings on pontoon at Hanham lock ( full of CMers), new visitor moorings on the bank side above Saltford lock mostly empty, almost full VM on pontoon at Keynsham lock ( CMers), Bath 50% full, K & A not to bad even with a large number of hire boats out.

Travelling on the river is good but check levels and access to/from Neatham lock in advance - ring lock keeper for the best advice - number on the Bristol Harbour Site. It is almost impossible to stop along the length of the river so plan as a 1 day trip. Water/ pump out at Newbridge Bath (restricted hours). Water on a pontoon near Bitton, Water at Netham lock, full services in Bristol Harbour on the new area opposite SS Great Britain and other points. Also pump out at Bath Narrowboats above top lock on K & A.

Edited by adrianh

10 hours ago, adrianh said:

Mooring is now slightly better on visitor moorings Semington to Bath due to efforts of Cart, mooring on the river at Bath is now much reduced as building work is taking place and the moorings near the weir have been removed ( forever). Just returned from Bristol at the end of last week and found no moorings on pontoon at Hanham lock ( full of CMers), new visitor moorings on the bank side above Saltford lock mostly empty, almost full VM on pontoon at Keynsham lock ( CMers), Bath 50% full, K & A not to bad even with a large number of hire boats out.

Travelling on the river is good but check levels and access to/from Neatham lock in advance - ring lock keeper for the best advice - number on the Bristol Harbour Site. It is almost impossible to stop along the length of the river so plan as a 1 day trip. Water/ pump out at Newbridge Bath (restricted hours). Water on a pontoon near Bitton, Water at Netham lock, full services in Bristol Harbour on the new area opposite SS Great Britain and other points. Also pump out at Bath Narrowboats above top lock on K & A.

That's again for even more helpful information. If we went as far as  Bath only, would we be missing out on any spectacular scenery?

8 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

That's again for even more helpful information. If we went as far as  Bath only, would we be missing out on any spectacular scenery?

We wondered the same but pushed on to Bristol yesterday. Bath to Bristol was a lovely stretch and like it here in the floating harbour so much that we have booked for a week mooring. I strongly recommend it.

Edited by ianali

Passage down river and into Bristol is interesting. The river is winding and often tree lined with 5 larger locks by wiers. Nothing to difficult. Pub at Saltford , vm moorings before is good, also older of the pubs at Hanham. Plenty to see and do in Bristol.. You can moor in the centre part, a  bit  noisy or opposte SS Great Britain or further down just past the boat yard. Water taxis available in the day time. Mooring about 20 pounds per night for 40 ft boat

On 03/06/2017 at 08:33, Markinaboat said:

It depends what 'spectacular' means to you. 

The scenery most of the way to Bristol is rather delightful in a sort of English countryside sort of way, but no not spectacular like, say, the Grand Canyon. Or even the Avon Valley in Bristol itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We're on the K&A now. Haven't been on the canal for over twelve years. It has changed. Considerably changed.

Mooring in the sticks is even more difficult than it was. Of course you can't get into the Bank, but you now need a taxi. We have managed finding VM so far,but we want to moor 'in the country' now. There're water shortages,maybe down a foot or more. We haven't found the locks to be anymore strenuous than others around the system. Not a lover of wide locks on our own,hey ho!

We had plans of staying on this canal until next year, but may now change our plans.

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We're on the K&A now. Haven't been on the canal for over twelve years. It has changed. Considerably changed.

Mooring in the sticks is even more difficult than it was. Of course you can't get into the Bank, but you now need a taxi. We have managed finding VM so far,but we want to moor 'in the country' now. There're water shortages,maybe down a foot or more. We haven't found the locks to be anymore strenuous than others around the system. Not a lover of wide locks on our own,hey ho!

We had plans of staying on this canal until next year, but may now change our plans.

mmmm thanks for posting this. We were thinking of the K and A as part of our next route and havnt been on it for about guessing 12/15 years or so. Please keep us informed re if it gets worse and I may decide to miss it out. Its a shame as we had a mooring first on their in around 92 ish and it was quiet with virtualy no boats between bath and B o A and over the next few years on occasional trips it got a bit busier and was always a pain to moor in the middle of nowhere. Thing is myself and the old girl don't " jump " anymore so it may well now be a no no :mellow: