SR2 oil leak

Chaotic River

Featured Posts

We were lucky enough to be on holiday during the heat in the past week so we took the boat out for a few days. I was worried to see oil on the floor of the engine room on the way home! Have cleaned up the engine and ran her for a few minutes this morning, returned after lunch and there is some oil leaking from the {1/2 inch bsp) plug marked with a blue arrow in the photo. This is on the side of the engine below the fuel pump. I have tried the plug with a spanner and it does not appear to be loose.

Two questions before I unscrew it:

1> Is this likely to be below the sump oil level? 

2> My usual way of fixing leaks on tapered threaded fittings would be PTFE tape, would there be a better way to seal it?

Thanks in advance :)

engine.jpg

PTFE tape can dissolve in contact with certain oils.

I'd use one of the liquid gasket tubes of goo that are made for that kind of job.

First check it is coming from there, what does your dip stick tell you? If she says she knows nowt and leaves that kind of mechanically stuff to you, then just leave her in the kitchen.

If however it shows your sump is overflowing and the lubrication oil smells of diesel then you have a fuel leak that is draining internally.