CAV Separator / Sedimenter seals

Mikexx

Featured Posts

I'm trying to obtain new seals for this Sedimenter / Separator. This is an all alloy type.

The only part numbers I have are:

Type: SS

Des No. 5836B250

I can buy a new one or equivalent but that seems an extreme way to go when all I need are the seals.

Assuming its a CAV unit then the same seals come with a CAV 296 filter element (I think that's the right number) because they use the same top and bottom casting. The only one you need to take care with is the small one around the bolt IF your sedimentor uses one. SO either buy an element or  find someone who uses one and cadge an old set. I think I may have a set on the boat but will not be there for a week or so.

Just realised you put this in the BMC section. If its a 1.5, 1.8 or 2.2 with DPA pump just use the old set when you change the fuel filter.

Edited by Tony Brooks

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Assuming its a CAV unit then the same seals come with a CAV 296 filter element (I think that's the right number) because they use the same top and bottom casting. The only one you need to take care with is the small one around the bolt IF your sedimentor uses one. SO either buy an element or  find someone who uses one and cadge an old set. I think I may have a set on the boat but will not be there for a week or so.

Just realised you put this in the BMC section. If its a 1.5, 1.8 or 2.2 with DPA pump just use the old set when you change the fuel filter.

It is a 1.5, and yes the filter you reference is the same as my other filter.

Just reserved a Mann P917X filter which should be compatible. £1.65 from Eurocarparts

Many thanks, if I had known I would have been more careful keeping the seals!

Many thanks for the offer.

3 hours ago, Mikexx said:

It is a 1.5, and yes the filter you reference is the same as my other filter.

Just reserved a Mann P917X filter which should be compatible. £1.65 from Eurocarparts

Many thanks, if I had known I would have been more careful keeping the seals!

Many thanks for the offer.

Why would you want to keep the seals? As Tony said, all the seals come with the new  filter.

51 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Why would you want to keep the seals? As Tony said, all the seals come with the new  filter.

He want seals for his sedimentor, not the engine filter. I like to strip my sedimentor every couple years to check what it has caught but not drained via the drain plug and seals last a very long time but not indefinably. Sedimentors do not use a filter element (if they did it would be an agglomerator), they use a cone and centrifugal force to remove 80% of the water and the heavier bits of crud from the fuel. The engine filter removes the rest. Sedimentors have at least an 1/8" gap inside so they are all but impossible to block unless they fill to the brim with dirt.