Ladder and pole cradle, fixing options

Featured Posts

I am about to fit two solar panels on my 60ft canal boat.

The existing ladder and pole cradle is welded to the roof,  towards the rear of the roof  on the right hand side, pretty much in line with were I would ideally like to site the solar panels. The panels will be mounted at the highest part of the roof, using tilt and swivel marine quality brackets. I have done the measuring, and if I leave the cradle in its location, there is very little gap, 10 to 20 mm between the top of the ladder and the bottom of the panel.

So I can,

1: Live with it, not my preferred option as what can go wrong will, and I would bet the ladder will bite the panel at some stage, 

2: Move the cradle: I can have the cradle cut from current position,

2.1 In order to have it re-welded further along the roof, issue, I am being advised  I would need to remove the roof linings from inside the boat adjacent to the new location, not ideal

2.2 Drill and bolt the cradle in new location, issue, I am introducing a potential problem of leaking roof in the future  (I am aware that I will be doing this with the solar panel mounting brackets)

2.3 Has anybody come up with an alternative solution, I.E. magnetic fixings for cradle

I am aware I can look for some higher mounting brackets for the panels, but feel this is not an solution I want to go with until I have explored all other possible options.

Tanks for your input.

• Greenie 1

I have brass cradles which are held on the roof with 5mm countersunk setscrews.   The roof (4mm) is drilled and tapped.  They've been there ten years with no sign of leaking.  put a bit of silicone on if you are worried, but if screwed down properly they will not leak.  My solar panel is fixed in a similar fashion.

ETA: so move the cradle!

Edited by dor

I'm sure there is a good reason but just wondered why you have to have the solar panels in the same location as the pole cradle.

It sounds a clumsy arrangement to leave it where it is, but I'm not a fan of having any more holes in the roof than absolutely necessary if you decide to move it. 

My pole/boarding plank rack is a wooden affair that just sits in the centre of the roof I'm sure others have a similar set up.  It has no fixings at all and has been subjected to storm force winds yet it never moves.  It is basically a long shallow box contoured to fit the roof though it sits on those little nylon "feet" you get for under the legs of chairs. It holds a pole either side and the box is really useful for storing the mop, boathook and mooring pins, the boarding plank is the "lid".  I suspect it was custom made but it seems to me it wouldn't be that difficult to fashion something out of wood to fit the ubiquitous brass/chrome cradles to or you might even be able to rework your existing cradle to mount on a wooden frame.  Just a thought.   

I hate pole and plank holders at the rear as its too easy to taffle centre line in. I dont have one at all and dont have a pole as I never need one. If you must I would simply have a couple of wooden cradles made up and place them at the front  on the roof.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Fender151 said:

Hi Neil,

That sounds like an interesting solution, do you a photo you could share.

Thanks,

Jon

As I was writing that I was thinking a photo would be useful, but the few pictures of the boat I looked at none of them show the cradle it's always hidden behind something. I'll have a proper look tomorrow.   

I'm ashamed to say the paint on the cradle is deteriorating and number 1001 on the to do list this year is to repaint it but I fear it might be too far gone.  If so I'll use the old one as a template to replace it  

We have a couple of wooden cradles for plank, pole, and boat hook -- which just sit on the roof without any fixings at all.  Normally, they're in the middle, so you can get to them whichever side you happen to be; but we have been known, when mooring in the middle of a city like Birmingham for example, to push them over to the far side, just so they're not easily in reach for idle hands from from the towpath.

I lash my ladder & plank to the roof - so a couple of small eyes - and that holds the cradles in place. I suspect not really necessary, but I did not fancy them falling off while crossing the Wash!

This photo shows the general idea. Sorry the roof should have been tidied before I took this photo.

dscf5241.jpg

I have regretted a bit siting my panels in between the centre point and the pigeon box. We have to be very careful with our centre ropes now to avoid fouling the panels. I did it this way to make wiring easier via a mushroom into the engine room. In hindsight i would have the solar panels in the front part of the roof and given a bit more thought to the wiring back to tne batteries.

One of the Sikarflex mastic products is an adhesive & it sticks like" the proverbial to the blanket " I stuck some oak pieces to mount a fitting when I decided to move the fittings it broke the oak rather than break the grip of the goo

Edited by X Alan W