What's the Llangollen like these days?

Neil2

Featured Posts

It's must be fifteen years or more years since we did the Llangollen canal, that was during late September it was really congested and we struggled to find a mooring in the town itself.  We were thinking of heading that way end of next week and just wondering how busy it gets these days.  When we passed through Middlewich a few weeks back all but one of the hire boats headed that way..

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

It's must be fifteen years or more years since we did the Llangollen canal, that was during late September it was really congested and we struggled to find a mooring in the town itself.  We were thinking of heading that way end of next week and just wondering how busy it gets these days.  When we passed through Middlewich a few weeks back all but one of the hire boats headed that way..

There is ample room now in the new basin in Llangollen. As ditchcrawler says there is a charge which I think is £6 per night but you can only stay for 2 nights.

The charge includes electric and water on the pontoons.

If you can be in Llangollen at the weekend, it is quieter, as most of the hire boats tend to be there mid-week. We spent two very pleasant days there earlier this month. If you want longer, it is possible to moor just east of the narrow section for free.

Richard

If you are heading into Llangollen, my recommendation would be to be there on Sat and Sun nights, as the majority of the hire boats are back down the canal at that point having turned around on Fri/Sat.  Last time we were there, 4 years ago I think, on the Sun night in August the basin was about a quarter full, and on the Mon still only half full.  When we left on the Tues morning once we were past the aqueduct we started to meet the hordes of hire boat heading to Llangollen.

edited to add: wot he said... /\ /\ /\

Edited by john6767

Is the hire boat effect as apparent now as it was 20 years ago? Whilst there's still plenty of hire boats around, a lot more people own a boat now compared to back then, with more marinas.

In terms of the journey to and from Llangollen, the busiest days at Grindley Brook tended to be Sundays and Thursdays in high season, but that was mainly because of the hire boat movements. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is the hire boat effect as apparent now as it was 20 years ago? Whilst there's still plenty of hire boats around, a lot more people own a boat now compared to back then, with more marinas.

In terms of the journey to and from Llangollen, the busiest days at Grindley Brook tended to be Sundays and Thursdays in high season, but that was mainly because of the hire boat movements. 

I would say Llangollen is a special case, there is a heavy concentration of hire boats, and they are all doing the same thing.  That is the difference between somewhere like say Napton which also has a lot of hire boats, but in that case they are doing multiple routes.

It will be interesting to compare the traffic with the last time we ventured that way, my perception is there are fewer moving boats generally these days even taking into account the hire boat trade.    

We have just come off the Llangollen,last two weeks, and I can confirm it's just as picturesque as it was. Llangollen is great and the basin is worth the £6 in my opinion. In fact nice not to have to run the engine for battery topping up. 

We had a mix up with prescriptions so asked for permission to stay extra time. We did and we are grateful. You pay at the shop where the horse boats operate.

Enjoyed the Llangollen.

Watch for speeding day boats,loaded up with beer,I was hit by one head on and another side swiped me,both were speeding and all appeared to b having a jolly on the ale.and not being in control.

I was last there in July 2015.

The linear moorings as well as the basin also have power and water, and also cost £6 per night, for 48 hours max.

We arrived on a weekday in the middle of August and took the last linear mooring, however the basin was less than 50% full.

We're based on the Llangollen and would echo these comments. It's a lovely canal, but the last few weeks have been noticeably busy. We struggled to find a space in Ellesmere on Sunday lunchtime and have had a few incidents with out of control hire boats.

Thanks to the new basin, mooring in Llangollen is much easier than it used to be. We still prefer to moor online but it's not as busy as it used to be - a shame in some ways as we used to like the atmosphere and watching the entertainment as late-comers tried to find spaces, but it does take some of the stress away from passing through the narrows wondering if you'll be able to find somewhere to moor.

There's a lovely (free) mooring near the lift bridge slightly out of Llangollen, but most have cottoned on to this so you'll be lucky to get a spot.

16 minutes ago, Angry Sheep said:

- a shame in some ways as we used to like the atmosphere and watching the entertainment as late-comers tried to find spaces

What did you find entertaining about late-comers trying to find spaces?

Just now, rgreg said:

What did you find entertaining about late-comers trying to find spaces?

It added to the bustling atmosphere of the place... hire boaters from Trevor and Chirk all turning up at the same time and squeezing in. A throwaway comment, apologies if it offended.

12 minutes ago, Angry Sheep said:

It added to the bustling atmosphere of the place... hire boaters from Trevor and Chirk all turning up at the same time and squeezing in. A throwaway comment, apologies if it offended.

I know what you mean, that's how I remember the place but there was also a lot of goodwill as people already moored tried to make space, something you don't see so much these days.  It's nice to see a bit of action from time to time, I think it's a shame that some of the hot spots eg Fradley seem have gone a bit lukewarm. 

Edited by Neil2

10 minutes ago, Angry Sheep said:

No offense to me; I always feel sorry for people who struggle to get moored, especially families on hire boats who often need to be near to facilities.

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I know what you mean, that's how I remember the place but there was also a lot of goodwill as people already moored tried to make space, something you don't see so much these days.  It's nice to see a bit of action from time to time, I think it's a shame that some of the hot spots eg Fradley seem have gone a bit lukewarm. 

Exactly. I can remember a few instances of shuffling boats mid-BBQ to help squeeze another in, followed by drinks and general good spirit all round.

Last time I was at Llangollen (admittedly early in the season), there were just two of us on the online moorings. Seemed a bit of an anticlimax after all of the efforts getting there.

Just now, rgreg said:

No offense to me; I always feel sorry for people who struggle to get moored, especially families on hire boats who often need to be near to facilities.

Yeah, not being able to moor isn't fun. But part of the attraction of a place like Llangollen is the movement of boats coming and going, and if extra spaces combined with compulsory mooring fees mean most don't bother, the atmosphere isn't the same. Next time I think I'd be tempted to go as far as Trevor and make a day of walking/cycling/getting the bus into Llangollen itself.

1 hour ago, Angry Sheep said:

We struggled to find a space in Ellesmere on Sunday lunchtime and have had a few incidents with out of control hire boats.

You can always find space on the run up from the tunnel, it's only a short walk to the town. It's also 14 day. 

Anyway, we've just come back from Llangollen. No problems at all Sat/Sun in the basin which was only a third full. 

I have met a lot of boaters who avoid the last stretch from Trevor to Llangollen due to this supposed 21 inch max draft (I know, here we go again).

We are 30 inch and had no problems the two times we have done the trip. Working boats have also made it to the end. 

So if you are heading that way don't miss out on the best bit, or at least walk it. There are a few spots like the tunnels which are quite slow but I personally think the max 21 inch draft advice is silly. 

Also, if you are heading that way, the Montgomery is worth a go. 

18 minutes ago, rowland al said:

You can always find space on the run up from the tunnel, it's only a short walk to the town. It's also 14 day. 

Anyway, we've just come back from Llangollen. No problems at all Sat/Sun in the basin which was only a third full. 

I have met a lot of boaters who avoid the last stretch from Trevor to Llangollen due to this supposed 21 inch max draft (I know, here we go again).

We are 30 inch and had no problems the two times we have done the trip. Working boats have also made it to the end. 

So if you are heading that way don't miss out on the best bit, or at least walk it. There are a few spots like the tunnels which are quite slow but I personally think the max 21 inch draft advice is silly. 

Also, if you are heading that way, the Montgomery is worth a go. 

Can't be too many boats that draw under 21" these days.

We have time to visit the Montgomery - I presume you still have to book ahead for the locks at Frankton?  How far down can you get these days? 

28 minutes ago, rowland al said:

When we last did the trip on Fulbourne (3 ft draught) some years ago, the run from Trevor to Llangollen was easier than some of the earlier sections.

16 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Can't be too many boats that draw under 21" these days.

We have time to visit the Montgomery - I presume you still have to book ahead for the locks at Frankton?  How far down can you get these days? 

Yes, you are supposed to book. You may get blocked if you say you have more than 0.69m draft though. When we queried it with the lockie we were allowed on in the end. 

You can go down about 5-6 miles. Don't be put off by the 'No Turning Here' sign some NIMBY has put on the winding hole at the end though. ;) 

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Maybe they will charge £6 a night there as well soon. O I forgot the cafe owner is.  Will London be next, it a popular "honey spot"