Stove chimney

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Sorry, I just don't get this right/left thing.  You could say the opposite about boats travelling in the opposite direction!

????

You pass on the right. So does the boat coming the other way, so you both have starboard close to the bank. Where the trees are. What's not to understand?

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

????

You pass on the right. So does the boat coming the other way, so you both have starboard close to the bank. Where the trees are. What's not to understand?

To be fair to Mac of Cygnet 95% of low bridges can only take one boat at a time.

There aren't many miles of wide beam canals where you could consider passing another boat under a bridge and live to tell the tale!

1 hour ago, Mikexx said:

To be fair to Mac of Cygnet 95% of low bridges can only take one boat at a time.

There aren't many miles of wide beam canals where you could consider passing another boat under a bridge and live to tell the tale!

But I wasn't talking about bridges, simply passing on the canal. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2017 at 21:50, Tom766 said:

Silly question time (new boat owner),

Why do folk need to remove and re fit the chimney to clear bridges?

Is there a length, from roof to top of chimney, that will clear all bridges?

Tom n Jill.

On some occasions a boat may have an un-planned trip into low hanging foliage, best to have the chimney chained to the boat.

24 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

where's the emoji for lathe-envy?

Its a rather old Colchester Student. It hasn't got the nice screw cutting gearbox.

However I do have two more Students that do, and I'm in the process of making one good one out of the two :-)

If you didn't live as far as the Milky Way.................

44 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Its a rather old Colchester Student. It hasn't got the nice screw cutting gearbox.

However I do have two more Students that do, and I'm in the process of making one good one out of the two :-)

If you didn't live as far as the Milky Way.................

Colchester lathes ceased to exist some years ago, a huge Tescos was built on the site.

14 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Colchester lathes ceased to exist some years ago, a huge Tescos was built on the site.

They seem to have phoenixed:

http://www.colchester.co.uk/products/colchester-centre-lathes/

They claim to have the Colchester heritage, but who knows!

Mine is more of this ilk:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html

55 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

How much do new Students cost these days? I have no idea. Time to buy another lottery ticket...

I think too much, certainly for occasional use.

One like mine in a non-working condition, probably £500. One in fine fettle up to £2,000.