Wallpaper..........!!!

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Now i may be wrong as a noob to all tge world of narrow boating but ive just seen a boat that has been wallpapered internally in our hunt for our new to us boat.....

Now as i say im no eggspurt but wallpaper and the cold......well they dont really work very well.......for example peeling off......

Am i missing something here or is it actualy feasable because if so clever for a modern contempary design idea if not disaster in the making.

I wallpapered the internal bulkheads in the bedroom, and have wallpapered on top of ply on sides and bulkhead in the galley. I tiled around the shower bath, but wallpapered behind the basin and toilet. The outside of the bathroom is also wallpapered in the passage. The bedroom has lasted 29 years, the passageway 22 years, and the galley has been changed 3 times and has been a b*****d to strip each time. Nothing wrong with it as long as you choose a good paper.

A boat should not be any more hostile an environment than a house.

Edited by Ex Brummie
just felt it needed saying.

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Think I would be worried what it may be covering

I don't think Wallpaper would last long but I have come across wood grain effect Fablon used to cover bulkheads which were sound but showing their age and that lasted for a year or two. I gather that it was a real pain to put it on because it grans as soon as it touches!

Howard

I wallpapered a couple of sections of a boat in hessian years ago, it was fine and lasted years but absorbed the smell of tobacco smoke which was horrible when I gave up smoking.

My brother in laws boat is wallpapered. It looks absolutely fab, has never peeled and has been done for many many years, a perfectly feasable idea and less boring than the usual wood faced ply that most of us myself included have. It hasnt budged and for years it was a hobby boat and he has lived aboard for the last two years.

I wallpapered above the gunnells 2 years ago and it is still fine. I done this as I had a all oak fit out and was fed up being in a tube. Did think about paint but realized that papering would mean I could always go back to the oak.

10 minutes ago, bastion said:

I wallpapered above the gunnells 2 years ago and it is still fine. I done this as I had a all oak fit out and was fed up being in a tube. Did think about paint but realized that papering would mean I could always go back to the oak.

I painted one of my boats some years ago inside and it looked fine,. Theres nowt more boring than the typical wood board that most of us have but personalising ya boat too much could make it harder to sell when you want to.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I painted one of my boats some years ago inside and it looked fine,. Theres nowt more boring than the typical wood board that most of us have but personalising ya boat too much could make it harder to sell when you want to.

That's why I did not paint, New owner would always have the choice, paper or panel.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

makes me wonder why folks bother with painting the cabin (exterior).  ........  why not develop a nice design and do a vinyl wrap job?

Remember that leopard print one at Crick a few years back?

9 hours ago, Murflynn said:

makes me wonder why folks bother with painting the cabin (exterior).  ........  why not develop a nice design and do a vinyl wrap job?

My buddy has done just that. He had his boat wrapped last summer by a company who did the entire boat ( 69 footer ) in 2 days completed. Looks great.

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My buddy has done just that. He had his boat wrapped last summer by a company who did the entire boat ( 69 footer ) in 2 days completed. Looks great.

Can you give us any idea of what it would cost?

11 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Seen a few vinyl-wrapped boats.   One was done in a zebra print - very distinctive!  There is, or used to be, one on the Bridgewater advertising a marina development.  Seen a couple of others around that were done for advertising.

It shouldn't be any more difficult than doing a van and should last just as well.