Which idiot puts the bath outel below the waterline?

Featured Posts

As some might know I bought a broads cruiser last year, I have been stripping it out so that it can be refitted as a comfy electric powered boat.

The bath was the latest thing to go and imagine my surprise when it was removed the water started flowing in from the drain! It turns out the outlet is about 2 inches below the waterline so it was no hassle to bung it up, but clearly as it was all very flimsy this was an accident waiting to happen. I will take the boat out and repair this with a glassfibre patch and gelcoat before antifouling it but I do find it strange after steel boating for 12 years

My neighbours in the marina nearly sunk their boat because of exactly the same situation. Their shower empties into the bulge but only has a manual bilge pump. They forgot to switch it on and a redundant skin fitting on the waterline then became under the waterline and down she started to go

They only noticed once water started to come up over the floor, it was a close run thing with their pump only just having the edge over the skin fitting !!

This was 3 months ago and guess what? the skin fitting remains the same, unsealed.

Phil

In all my sea going craft I had  seacocks below the waterline. When leaving the raft you closed them. It was as important as when leaving the boat you ensured the mooring lines or anchor were correctly laid.

I mean craft

On my Dutch sailing boat the sink is drained via a underwater seacock.

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

My neighbours in the marina nearly sunk their boat because of exactly the same situation. Their shower empties into the bulge but only has a manual bilge pump. They forgot to switch it on and a redundant skin fitting on the waterline then became under the waterline and down she started to go

They only noticed once water started to come up over the floor, it was a close run thing with their pump only just having the edge over the skin fitting !!

This was 3 months ago and guess what? the skin fitting remains the same, unsealed.

Phil

Not really the same situation tho as the OP tho as it wasn't a redundant outlet.

12 minutes ago, Robbo said:

On my Dutch sailing boat the sink is drained via a underwater seacock.

Not really the same situation tho as the OP tho as it wasn't a redundant outlet.

Still has the potential to sink your boat though. ☺ 

29 minutes ago, jddevel said:

In all my sea going craft I had  seacocks below the waterline. When leaving the raft you closed them. It was as important as when leaving the boat you ensured the mooring lines or anchor were correctly laid.

I mean craft

Same on ours. Always closed when leaving the boat longterm. However they are not as in this case bath outlets but toilet and engine. 

The other outlets can of course be below the waterline when the boat is healing 

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil

You can't fix stupid.

36 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Still has the potential to sink your boat though. ☺ 

But not really a design flaw, although it sounds like it was just a skin fitting and not a seacock and for that height above water I would prefer a seacock.

31 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Same on ours. Always closed when leaving the boat longterm. However they are not as in this case bath outlets but toilet and engine. 

Mine has 4 seacocks, sink, engine, and two for toilet.

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Mine has 4 seacocks, sink, engine, and two for toilet.

Think ours has 9.three of which are under water, but all have seacocks except the exhaust. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

I mean craft

oh go on, leave it uncorrected.  it exercises our imagination :rolleyes:

On merchant ships, the deck scuppers exit below the waterline and have no valves.  They are made of solid drawn pipe, heavy duty and are regularly surveyed.  I've known swimming pool dumps to leak but they were repaired in situ after a diver had put a plug in.  They would be renewed at the next dry-dock.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Its the fault of global warming - it has raised sea levels. Everything is the fault of global warming...

I realise this is supposed to be satirical, but it just demonstrates the level of scientific comprehension typical  of a climate change denier.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I realise this is supposed to be satirical, but it just demonstrates the level of scientific comprehension typical  of a climate change denier.

Cynical - but sadly true. I thought the original was hilarious - so I gave him a greenie (or what passes for that nowadays)

If it had happened when all the bath panels were in place it would have sunk! there was no way of getting the panels off without hammers and levers stupid broads craft builder!!!! or the person that modded it anyway. For about 20 seconds it was chaos as I worked out how to stop it then it was off for a cup of tea to calm down, and yest to all who have said it should have sea cocks you are right and it shouldnt be a bit of 40mm drain pipe in there!!!!!

54 minutes ago, peterboat said:

If it had happened when all the bath panels were in place it would have sunk! there was no way of getting the panels off without hammers and levers stupid broads craft builder!!!! or the person that modded it anyway. For about 20 seconds it was chaos as I worked out how to stop it then it was off for a cup of tea to calm down, and yest to all who have said it should have sea cocks you are right and it shouldnt be a bit of 40mm drain pipe in there!!!!!

You could have stuffed a rag in from the outside without taking off the bath panels.

4 hours ago, jddevel said:

I mean craft

Indeed.  I'm surprised that seacocks on skin fittings fitted to narrowboats aren't compulsory under the BSS scheme.

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Has your boat got better yet?

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, peterboat said:

Brown trouser moment.  ;)

• Greenie 1