Grounded not far from selbycanal

chevron

Featured Posts

I grounded in exactly the same place a few years ago on my first foray up the Aire. The bit about "where the cows come down to drink" gave it away. We had a whole herd watching us. The bank side was about 18 inches deep and tother side was dunno but deep. Luckily the water skiers were out when I grounded and one of them pulled me off. I know this is not likely but a mate of mine is taking  a boat to Goole on Saturday so if your still there then we could pull you off. It's only a 30 footer with a 2 pot lister but it should be okay. Hopefully you will be off before then though. I doubt you will get any help from Selby Boat Yard these days. He doesn't have any boats other than private ones. I am in Selby but I don't have a boat any more. But I do have a winch thingy and some rope but where you are there are no trees on that side so you would have to get to the other side to use a rope. I'll pm you my phone number though and if you think I can help ring me. I'm about 10/15 minutes away.

• Greenie 2

I used this trick once to get off a shallow bend on The Thames.

Take a long rope, stand on the roof and throw a loop over the front end as if you were skipping.

Now drag it along the full length of the boat to the back end with a sawing motion side to side.  Rocking the boat as you do it.

You're looking to break the suction of the mud.  If it doesn't work first time tie some bulky knots close to each other in the section that will be sliding under the boat.

Good luck

• Greenie 2

If it's any consolation we used to waterski in that area regularly and what happened to you used to happen all the time.

Many times we used to either tow narrowboats off the sand bank on the corner or we'd jump into the river and push them off.

It's always been a shallow bend and we've  spoken to CRT about it before but nothing as ever been done.

Its now over 10 years since we skied there but obviously the problem goes on .

Dave

When this happened to a couple we know on the Thames, RCR told them to stick it in reverse add some revs and go and make a cup of tea. This they did and about 40 minutes later the flow of water under the boat had washed enough away and they were floating again

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Billy Boy said:

If you can get to a tree behind you with a rope tie one end to boat go round tree back to boat tiller bar between rope and wind it, makeshift winch. I can't think of what you call it. 

Spanish Windlass

16 minutes ago, chevron said:

hi thank you to all we have managed to get going combination of the level going up and some luck moving again thanks for all the support

Superduper :D

1 hour ago, chevron said:

hi thank you to all we have managed to get going combination of the level going up and some luck moving again thanks for all the support

Great to hear you're on the move again. I'm hoping to go up that section later in the summer so can you tell me were you on the inside or outside of the curve? (just so I know to avoid it:rolleyes:)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

inside curve of bend it's meant to be a known grounding point after the avent if you look on google earth it's before you get to selby turn off bends looks like a w or m and its the last bend on that on google earth you can see where the cows stand in the river some one above has said it's been like that 10 years

13 minutes ago, chevron said:

inside curve of bend it's meant to be a known grounding point after the avent if you look on google earth it's before you get to selby turn off bends looks like a w or m and its the last bend on that on google earth you can see where the cows stand in the river some one above has said it's been like that 10 years

It looks as though you mean here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53°43'32.6"N+1°10'17.0"W/@53.7267005,-1.1730152,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.725737!4d-1.1713904

I'll look out for the big red Google marker :rolleyes:

I have pulled a stuck fast hire boat off a bank in Whitchurch weir stream by tying the mooring lines together, swimming one end to a suitable bank and tying the line to a tree. Then made  a loop in the middle of the rope and stuck the boat hook shaft into the loop and twisting the rope up. This made a Spanish windlass but it was a bit hard to twist while treading water. However a combination of rope, empty water tank, full astern and the hirers rocking the boat got it off. In my view it is important to pull it off the opposite way to how it went on.  The same might work if you put a 45 degree pull on the stern so the rope not only pulled it backwards but also twisted the boat.

PS - the ropes were not in very good condition afterwards!

Edited by Tony Brooks

When I have snatched boats off I always worry about the deck fittings. the worst being a wooden tripboat on the Thames downstream of Folly Bridge full of passengers. I was expecting the cleat to head in my direction.

18 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I have snatched boats off I always worry about the deck fittings. the worst being a wooden tripboat on the Thames downstream of Folly Bridge full of passengers. I was expecting the cleat to head in my direction.

Naughty cal your correct stay in the middle we have learnt a big lesson only defence we have is how far it comes out in the water we were not that near to the bank,thanks to the two men who had a try with there small boat at pulling us off,Wanderer Vagabond that's the position of the build up as above I had a wood stick that I pushed in the build up guess the stick was 2.4 metres I left twelve inches above the water line and marked it to see if the water level was going up or down that's a big build up we were also grounded on the outer of the boat as well.Big thanks to Pete who offered his help and phone number. The RCR were very supporting and the canal trust also.morral is yes keep to the centre. 

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

From https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/failure-of-mooring-bollard-on-passenger-vessel-star-clipper-at-st-katharine-s-pier-river-thames-england-with-loss-of-1-life#summary:

Between 30 and 35 people were on the pier waiting for Star Clipper and other river services. As the vessel made the approach, her mate, standing at the port passenger entrance, passed the eye of a polypropylene berthing rope over a pier bollard and secured it loosely onto one of the vessel’s bollards. The captain manoeuvred Star Clipper to align with the pier and vessel passenger gates. When the vessel was about 1.5m from the pier, the rope was secured and slight ahead power maintained to bring her alongside.

Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clipper’s mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries.

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 15:11, chevron said:

We are on the aire not far from selby canal we have gone round a tight bend and have grounded where the cows come down to drink water just after a w bend on the map

It's a bit late to say now but I always keep well clear of places that cattle come down to drink. 

Edited by NickF
didn't read the whole thread properly!