Moderating

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Loddon said:

On another forum which Nick and I frequent that runs the same software as CWDF swear words are automatically replaced with **** thus removing the need of any editing of posts by Mods.

We have the capability to do this but Canal World expects its members to act like adults and as such we treat our members like adults. 

On 15/09/2017 at 07:51, nicknorman said:

This is the relevant post that was "silently" edited....

It appears stamped to me?

On 15/09/2017 at 20:47, RichM said:

We have the capability to do this but Canal World expects its members to act like adults and as such we treat our members like adults. 

This.

Daniel 

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

How odd. I see this:

Screenshot_20170918-093257.png

@RichM Can you look into this? 

Daniel 

For what it's worth, Dan & Rich, I can also not see anything that indicated that Athy edited the post.

Something definitely looks "broken".

• 1 month later...

That is rather a leading question, Nick, and one to which I think you know the answer.

I too have been awaiting a reply from Daniel about a quite different matter. I think that he leads a busy professional life which often takes him overseas, but in my experience he always catches up with correspondence when he returns.

So, patience is a virtue.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That is rather a leading question, Nick, and one to which I think you know the answer.

I too have been awaiting a reply from Daniel about a quite different matter. I think that he leads a busy professional life which often takes him overseas, but in my experience he always catches up with correspondence when he returns.

So, patience is a virtue.

Well no I didn’t know the answer, which is why I asked. I wondered if there was an email address or the like, rather than just using the PM system. Although I suppose to be fair, that wouldn’t necessarily elicit a response any quicker.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The moderation of late has been first class. This I think is due to two things one being the present bunch of moderating bods are bloomin good at their thankless task unlike some past mods and the second reason being since the playground opened its doors many former members are no longer using this forum for various reasons. Keep up the good work please.

+ 1

The last three (very kind) posts may illuminate NN's query: we can't answer because we can't get our 'eads through t'dooer to get to our computers.

Trivia note: the last three posts are (on my screen at least) numbered 189, 190 and 176, in that order. Surely shome mishtake here?

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

The last three (very kind) posts may illuminate NN's query: we can't answer because we can't get our 'eads through t'dooer to get to our computers.

Trivia note: the last three posts are (on my screen at least) numbered 189, 190 and 176, in that order. Surely shome mishtake here?

Yep 189,190 and 191 here.Its probably that silly password of yours,it has been hacked:)

(edit As i posted, my post came up as 176 too.spooky)

Edited by rusty69

I agree that the moderation has been very good since the great purge. But I don’t think that is grounds to totally ignore bad moderation. I’m sure Mr Athy Sir wouldn’t have been impressed when the boy who was caught smoking behind the bike sheds said “but Sir, I haven’t smoked at school for a long time, until today!”

It would be straight round to the Headmaster’s study for a sound beating.

Edited by nicknorman

• 2 weeks later...

Just to wake up this thread again and get back on topic, it seems that insulting the poster instead of dealing with the views he expresses is now acceptable provided the insutl is mild enough. 

That nice Mr Higgs called Wonderer Vagabond a self righteous prig the other day in open forum and as I think this breaches the 'no name-calling rule', I reported it. Team Mod however decided the insult was mild and was therefore acceptable. 

I'm just wondering now where the limit lies. I'm fairly sure posts calling people an idiot have been modded out in the past. And definitely a twat. But as self righteous prig is fine I might use it liberally myself in future when I think I could be losing an argument!

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just to wake up this thread again and get back on topic, it seems that insulting the poster instead of dealing with the views he expresses is now acceptable provided the insutl is mild enough. 

That nice Mr Higgs called Wonderer Vagabond a self righteous prig the other day in open forum and as I think this breaches the 'no name-calling rule', I reported it. Team Mod however decided the insult was mild and was therefore acceptable. 

I'm just wondering now where the limit lies. I'm fairly sure posts calling people an idiot have been modded out in the past. And definitely a twat. But as self righteous prig is fine I might use it liberally myself in future when I think I could be losing an argument!

I think that I would agree with "Team Mod". Now, if the last letter of "prig" were replaced by a couple of others, that would be a different matter.

My opening stance would be that biological swearing is never O.K. But then, what if it is used in the form of rhyming slang, e.g. "She kicked him up the bottle"? Then again, if I called someone a "heel", that is a biological term but is hardly a pistols-at-dawn insult. You raise a very interesting point. MtB.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Personally I think it should be up to the person on the receiving end of the insult to report it, or not. Don’t fall into the trap of being outraged on someone else’s behalf! Different people have very different thresholds of what they find upsetting and you can’t know it.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1