Wet & Forget

Featured Posts

Has anybody any experience of using "Wet & Forget" mould cleaner particularly on canvas covers?

It boasts miracle cures on stone, wood and other materials and maybe canvas but I haven't read any reviews to confirm this.

Thanks

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul & Julia said:

Has anybody any experience of using "Wet & Forget" mould cleaner particularly on canvas covers?

It boasts miracle cures on stone, wood and other materials and maybe canvas but I haven't read any reviews to confirm this.

Thanks

Paul

I have used this, and similar cheaper versions, on various surfaces, but never on canvass.  I found it very successful in removing algae and lichen growths with little effort.  However it would be highly irresponsible to use on the canal as it is extremely lethal to aquatic life, and active for a long time.

We have used Wet and Forget and it is very effective but don't get it on any perspex windows as they then go all sort of spotty. Didn't realise it was so environmentally unfriendly

Haggis

Edited by haggis

9 hours ago, Phil. said:

You could try this new product which hopefully works without damaging the environment........................................

I must admit that when an environmentally friendly product replaces a noxious, toxic, aggressive product the new stuff just does not work.  The more hazard symbols the better it works.  -  Paint stripper, oven cleaner, descaler, water based paint, 'glow in the dark' paint, mole smoke, weed suppressant, fence preservative....................

Added - I used some mole smoke many years ago and it generates poison gas - very effective.  Went to buy some more recently and this will get rid of moles by generating a smoke they find 'irritating' and will leave after a few applications.  Didn't buy it.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 2

56 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Added - I used some mole smoke many years ago and it generates poison gas - very effective.  Went to buy some more recently and this will get rid of moles by generating a smoke they find 'irritating' and will leave after a few applications.  Didn't buy it.

My Mum had a really bad mole problem (over 50 mole hills in the garden) for a number of years, the mole catcher only caught one and she tried many other way to get rid of them to no avail.  She heard that moth balls work well but couldn't find any "old school" ones.  I did locate some on eBay and the moles were gone within a few days and 6 months later not a single mole hill :)

Thanks team, all very interesting and informative but it seems that like me nobody has actually had a shot with Wet & Forget.

I wait with baited breath just in case somebody out there has experience of the product on canvas and I guess would it need reproofing?

12 hours ago, Rebotco said:

I have used this, and similar cheaper versions, on various surfaces, but never on canvass.  I found it very successful in removing algae and lichen growths with little effort.  However it would be highly irresponsible to use on the canal as it is extremely lethal to aquatic life, and active for a long time.

If applied on canvas - for example - away from the canal so there is no danger of run off, and the canvas was only returned to the boat after drying, are you saying that dangerous levels of toxins will leach from the canvas in significant quantities and cause harm in the canal???  If so I am surprised they are allowed to sell it for patio use.  Added - it is also sold as suitable for Fibreglass boat hulls and sides.

Edited by Chewbacka

24 minutes ago, Paul & Julia said:

Thanks team, all very interesting and informative but it seems that like me nobody has actually had a shot with Wet & Forget.

I wait with baited breath just in case somebody out there has experience of the product on canvas and I guess would it need reproofing?

I have never used it, but according to their own web page it is suitable for - amongst other things - boat sides, tents etc, for more info see  http://www.wetandforget.co.uk/more_info.asp?current_id=81

21 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If applied on canvas - for example - away from the canal so there is no danger of run off, and the canvas was only returned to the boat after drying, are you saying that dangerous levels of toxins will leach from the canvas in significant quantities and cause harm in the canal???  If so I am surprised they are allowed to sell it for patio use.  Added - it is also sold as suitable for Fibreglass boat hulls and sides.

No, I'm not saying that and would think that is perfectly acceptable.

They do say it is suitable on canvas and tents or caravan awning type materials.  Their boat examples all appear to be on sea based boats, where perhaps the moving water and size of the oceans are very different to canals. But their instructions for use on the back of the bottles definitely warn that it is lethal to aquatic life.