Hull Survey: How often

Theo

Featured Posts

Do all insurers ask for the same frequency of hull survey?  I think that my current insurer, Navigators and General, want one every four years.  Can someone confirm that?

Nick

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In guess the answer is NO.

I have never been asked for a hull survey by any insurer.

They tend to only ask for a survey when the boat reaches a certain age in my experience. This seems to differ from one insurer to another. 

Edited by rusty69

Craftinsure is the same and I think from previous posts on this subject 30 years does seem to be the cut off point and 4/5 years for the survey.  

It does seem a bit broad brush though given that there must be boats of this vintage that have been completely refurbished and as we all know it's not age that affects hull deterioration it's how well it's been looked after.      

Our boat is 30 next year so I intend to do a bit of shopping around, unless this thread does it for me of course..

Edited by Neil2
spelling

Halcyon is now 30 years old, Coolidge wanted a Hull survey last year, even though the last one is dated 2012. They wouldn't continue the insurance without a new survey. I had the survey done for my own peace of mind, but moved the insurance to 'insure4boats' Half the price and never asked for the survey.

Kevin

21 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Halcyon is now 30 years old, Coolidge wanted a Hull survey last year, even though the last one is dated 2012. They wouldn't continue the insurance without a new survey. I had the survey done for my own peace of mind, but moved the insurance to 'insure4boats' Half the price and never asked for the survey.

Kevin

Insure4boats appear to have a 40 year cut off before a survey is required.  Their cover seems almost too good to be true at first sight but they presumably make the saving by not automatically including contents - it's an optional extra.  That will appeal to a lot of leisure boaters I suspect and it look like I'll be switching to them next year. 

4 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

You might find the insurance does not cover loss arising from leakage due to rust unless you have your hull properly blacked regularly.

How would you prove this? And how regular? 

Edited by rusty69

I was told that, once the specified* boat age has been reached, the normal requirement for a hull survey would be every 6 years.  This falls within the 7 year statute of limitations so that the surveyor can be sued or a claim made under his/her professional indemnity cover.  I suppose an insurer could ask for another survey sooner if they had a concern about the boat.

* Starting point does seem to vary per insurer and, possibly, per boat builder.

Right ho.

Thanks for all the hints, chaps.  I thought that it might be a standard sort of interval.  I will phone the  insurers on Monday.  Theodora was built in 1983.  Last time she was surveyed was in 2014 and she was in pretty good nick (!)

8 hours ago, Theo said:

Do all insurers ask for the same frequency of hull survey?  I think that my current insurer, Navigators and General, want one every four years.  Can someone confirm that?

Nick

I would say as soon as only every 4 years is unusual.

All the insurers i have asked about our two 1936 boats have said every 6 years, which I think you will find is a more usual.

48 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I would say as soon as only every 4 years is unusual.

All the insurers i have asked about our two 1936 boats have said every 6 years, which I think you will find is a more usual.

I found the same- every 6 years for a 1935 boat.

we have 6years currently on veto ( 1895) need to get one this year on Hare ( 1926) then every 6 after that 

Insurance and Risk Claims management ( IRCM )

Chris 

PS no penalty for a composting toilet LOL 

Edited by Chris-B

Had a quote from insurance4boats it was a worrying cheap policy,so whats the catch?Well first up no consequential damage following a part failure and as a liveaboard i have to be connected to the mains whats that mean a long cable . No protected no claims bonus or personal accident .The claims handled by Charles Taylor who ever he is loss adjusters.

Not for me cheap as chips