Guys advice please if you can spare a minute - Thinking of moving onto a boat.

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

What about the k&a and grand union as this will be our intended bonifiedi continuouse network area. I have read about a narrow lock at the bottom of the grand union but cant find a definitive on that........

The maximum size of boat that navigate the main line of the Grand Union Canal (incl Paddington Arm) is
length: 79' 1" (24.1 metres) - Lock 58 Berkhamsted
beam: 12' 9" (3.88 metres) - Tiddenfoot Narrows, Leighton Buzzard
headroom: 7' 4" (2.23 metres) - Harrow Road Bridge 3
draught: 4' 1" (1.23 metres) - cill of Lock 58 Berkhamsted Lock

So you may as well 'max-out' your boat to 12 foot because you will not get from North to South in anything except NB (barring Road transport)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The maximum size of boat that navigate the main line of the Grand Union Canal (incl Paddington Arm) is
length: 79' 1" (24.1 metres) - Lock 58 Berkhamsted
beam: 12' 9" (3.88 metres) - Tiddenfoot Narrows, Leighton Buzzard
headroom: 7' 4" (2.23 metres) - Harrow Road Bridge 3
draught: 4' 1" (1.23 metres) - cill of Lock 58 Berkhamsted Lock

So you may as well 'max-out' your boat to 12 foot because you will not get from North to South in anything except NB (barring Road transport)

Thats great thanks for that info alan, we also like the 9ft wide as its cheaper to moor in some marinas due to them having seperate prices from <7ft / 7ft-9ft /10ft-13ft and the price difference is considerable....so extra living space for not much extra cost untill you hit 10-13ft widebeam when it gets pricy but most marinas having said that class wide beam as wide beam.

Just out of interest ref your otger thread we have a frenchie (has pug in its make up as you may know) and that jacket looks very good....thabks for the tip off.

Ahhhh really all depends on how snub nosed also... nala our frenchie has very good breathing and never snorts but she is from a long and very good breeding line which was important to us. Out of interest do they live aboard or are you guys pleasure cruisers?

55 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Ahhhh really all depends on how snub nosed also... nala our frenchie has very good breathing and never snorts but she is from a long and very good breeding line which was important to us. Out of interest do they live aboard or are you guys pleasure cruisers?

Whats liveaboard ?

We spend anywhere between a weekend and 3 or 4 months at a time aboard (we are retarded - and free to come and go as we please)

Our Fenchie (Brindle), and Dudley (the Pug) coming back from his 'beach visit' after keeping his legs crossed for 24+ hours whilst on passage. - Ooops won't allow me to upload the video.

IMG_20170625_121526.jpg

IMG_20170625_121544.jpg

7 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Ok so still no update on a boat as we cant find what we want..... but we are looking at potentialy building a sailaway but a sailaway with an extra 15k spent internally to almost bring her to completion......then i see something very interesting......... has anyone ever seen or heard of the pioneer slimline widebeam??? Its a 9ft wide widebeam designed to fit in the smaller locks giving more living space with clever compact design of the narrowboats. Is this slimline really able to cruise the north south divide? If so it is surely worth the extra money......

These http://www.narrowboatsltd.co.uk/widebeams/ they look a lot of boat for the money, but I don't know how easy it would be to sell second hand as others have said it's not one or the other. These will pass through the Bridgewater, Preston Brook, Dutton Lock and on the T&M as far as the flashes before you get to Middlewich.

On 2017-5-17 at 23:06, dmr said:

I note that in the latest Towpath Talk there is an ad from a company providing car insurance for liveaboard boaters, dunno what the premiums are like though.

In the winter we CC on the K&A and move the car as we go, a bit tedious but its doable. At the end of April we parked the car (at a friendly canalside business for a reasonable fee) and suddenly had a wonderful sense of freedom. Will not collect the car till November.

.............Dave

did you remember to disconnect the battery as security system will flatten it.

26 minutes ago, b0atman said:

did you remember to disconnect the battery as security system will flatten it.

The gentlemen who look after the car will start it once each month or so and drive it round their car park. Left some nice music on a memory stick in the radio for them. First time we left the car I got a little solar panel charger but the battery still went flat and alternator rusted solid, and brake discs were quite rusted. Driving the car from time to time is a much better option.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2017 at 17:02, bill brown said:

Best advice I've heard (on here I think) is when you make an offer on a 'previously enjoyed boat' if your not at least faintly embarrassed the offer isn't low enough :lol:

Or...

You don't particularly want it.

For sure a boat is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. But some brokers  seem to encourage sellers to inflate the price by 15%-20% as it's more commission for them and at the moment some people will pay silly prices. You can always up your offer if the first one is rejected.