Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

OK,

I'm EIGHT MONTHS down the yellow brick road, and need a few opinions [ty Mike, just Keep Calm].

I've sorted out most of my needs and wants, but one thing I am just not 100% sure of,  namely, fitted bench seating v open saloon, I'm assuming it's usually going to be a fairly major job to switch over from bench seating to open saloon.

In fact I have seen one which has a nice settee, probably has the same flooring  all over, and I could live with that, but it has  no dining area.

Others require dismantling the bench,, taking it to the tip, etc etc. Of course some boats are so designed that both seating arrangements can be accomodated.

Do all liveaboards opt for open saloon and flexible seating?

PS no signs of the housing market heating up, must be the weather.

I wouldn't worry too much about what saloon furniture a boat has. Find the right boat if you don't like what it has change it. It won't be a massive job.

We have fixed saloon seating but it is shaped and contoured to make it comfortable to sit at. It also provides lots of storage under the seating which is much needed on a small boat.

One thing we wouldn't be without is somewhere to sit and eat at a table. We have the choice of two on our boat, one in the saloon which we use in the winter months and one in the cockpit for when it is a bit warmer.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Neither of you has been ill while the boat is underway then?

That is correct, though I would put it back-about-face: the boat has not been under way while either of us has been ill. 

10 hours ago, Athy said:

It's 6'3".

As I have explained, the mattress folds up to allow access to the back. I cannot think of any circumstances in which one crew member would be in bed while the boat is under way.

I sometimes serve my wife with breakfast in bed prior to casting off early morning. 

Ian.

12 minutes ago, ianali said:

I sometimes serve my wife with breakfast in bed prior to casting off early morning. 

Ian.

Then you are evidently just as much a gentleman as I am (though more often she has to be content with a mug of tea) - but the boat doesn't move until all two of its crew are up and ready.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Then you are evidently just as much a gentleman as I am (though more often she has to be content with a mug of tea) - but the boat doesn't move until all two of its crew are up and ready.

Mug of tea is the standard. Breakfast is a treat for when we have a lock free hour or two of early cruising. Roll on Spring.

Ian.

11 hours ago, Athy said:

It's 6'3".

As I have explained, the mattress folds up to allow access to the back. I cannot think of any circumstances in which one crew member would be in bed while the boat is under way.

Only one? In the 2016 BCN Challenge I was one of eight crew on a pair, of whom four were in bed when we left Walsall at about 02:30 after our six hour break. Those on the motor were probably not asleep for long once the Lister started up.

I'm 6' 0" and have often slept on a cross bed; it's fine but probably wouldn't be if I were a few inches taller.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I wouldn't worry too much about what saloon furniture a boat has. Find the right boat if you don't like what it has change it. It won't be a massive job.

We have fixed saloon seating but it is shaped and contoured to make it comfortable to sit at. It also provides lots of storage under the seating which is much needed on a small boat.

One thing we wouldn't be without is somewhere to sit and eat at a table. We have the choice of two on our boat, one in the saloon which we use in the winter months and one in the cockpit for when it is a bit warmer.

I must say fitted seating in your style of boat seams much better thought out than built in Narrowboat furniture on the whole.

14 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Only one? In the 2016 BCN Challenge I was one of eight crew on a pair, of whom four were in bed when we left Walsall at about 02:30 after our six hour break. Those on the motor were probably not asleep for long once the Lister started up.

Understandable in the middle of the night! The earliest we have ever set off was probably just after 7 a.m., two years ago when we need to get from Sutton's to our Cropredy mooring in two days.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

That is correct, though I would put it back-about-face: the boat has not been under way while either of us has been ill. 

Ours has when we have not had a choice but to get back.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Understandable in the middle of the night! The earliest we have ever set off was probably just after 7 a.m., two years ago when we need to get from Sutton's to our Cropredy mooring in two days.

That was a late start!!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I must say fitted seating in your style of boat seams much better thought out than built in Narrowboat furniture on the whole.

It works very well. Nice and comfy and cosy in the cabin for colder winter evenings with loads of storage space beneath:

6242501_20170525030856840_1_XLARGE_jpg_1

And comfy seating outside for the spring, summer and autumn months.

20170827_085649.jpg

20170828_084156.jpg

20170828_115936.jpg

With the hoods on and the heating on it is pleasant enough and warm enough at this time of year in the cockpit but we do tend to migrate downstairs where it is super hot instead.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Neither of you has been ill while the boat is underway then?

Over the past 10 years there has been occasion when Liam has been ill in bed whilst I have been at the helm and vice versa. 

Yep and as I thought you do have to go mountaineering on Athys boat to pass the dreaded bed. It is probably less a problem for Hobbiests but still crossbeds are horrific. I was in bed for a couple of weeks last summer and if we had a cross bed the missus would have had to go out and round the boat every time she wanted/needed to pass me, an absolutely crap idea. How many people who live in houses dismantle their bed each morning and puts it back together on an evening................answers on a postcard. :D

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep and as I thought you do have to go mountaineering on Athys boat to pass the dreaded bed. It is probably less a problem for Hobbiests but still crossbeds are horrific. I was in bed for a couple of weeks last summer and if we had a cross bed the missus would have had to go out and round the boat every time she wanted/needed to pass me, an absolutely crap idea. How many people who live in houses dismantle their bed each morning and puts it back together on an evening................answers on a postcard. :D

Those who live in studio flats?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have to go potholing to get in our bed but it is so very comfy once you are in there :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Heres some top advice worth heeding. We have five" Kiddies" and nine " Grand kiddies " our boat is only 68 feet long so has room only for the ONE double bed. If you make it comfy they will visit and want to stop overnight!! :o

:D My three are pretty good and love the boat so happy for them to stop over, will keep the 6 berth options for now. Equally, having an option of making up three doubles is good for when a couple of old friends fancy escaping their families and we can have a boys long weekend with a few beers and a bit of fishing.

The kiddies also like their home comforts so no danger of them wanting to stay too often. ;)

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep and as I thought you do have to go mountaineering on Athys boat to pass the dreaded bed.

No, you thought wrongly. One does NOT have to go mountaineering because the mattress folds back and one can walk past it. I did make that quite clear. As the bedroom is at the rear of the boat, there's no reason to go past it when the boat's not moving anyway.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, you thought wrongly. One does NOT have to go mountaineering because the mattress folds back and one can walk past it. I did make that quite clear. As the bedroom is at the rear of the boat, there's no reason to go past it when the boat's not moving anyway.

Ok Ok so when someones in bed at the back and you want to go out the back door from the front cabin do you break their legs then move the piece of mattress out the way? or do you leave their feet suspended in mid air? or do you go mountaineering to get past? or do you have a remote back door opening device and take a run from the front and vault over the bed? :D

On 19/01/2018 at 13:41, Athy said:

This makes no sense to me. How does the mattress folding back help? Surely the wooden section that supports it is still in the way. Or can that be folded up too as a separate operation? Where does it fold up to and how is it held up while you pass?

Any chance of posting up a photo of this well designed arrangement? 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok Ok so when someones in bed at the back and you want to go out the back door from the front cabin

Why on earth would I want to do that? If I'm in the front cabin I can go out of the front doors.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This makes no sense to me. How does the mattress folding back help? Surely the wooden section that supports it is still in the way. Or can that be folded up too as a separate operation? Where does it fold up to and how is it held up while you pass?

Any chance of posting up a photo of this well designed arrangement? 

It is indeed well designed, and I'm sure that such an experienced boater as yourself has seen plenty like it. No, I haven't got any photos of it I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, rebuffinspect said:

It's important step of purchase for me, here's suitable approach for it, namely  hire professional management assignment writers for choosing a boat. After all, I will have necessary information for desirable product. I like a Honda, for example. What could you advise me?

I advise you not to post unsolicited advertising material on this forum, if you don't mind.

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its straight spam, have you removed it?

What an odd question : surely you could see that I hadn't? But thank you for your implied advice.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

What an odd question : surely you could see that I hadn't? But thank you for your implied advice.

I was replying to your comment about it, I read the post earlier but hadn't clicked the link until you highlighted it, you may have already removed it when I replied. Have you removed it now and what happens to the OP.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was replying to your comment about it, I read the post earlier but hadn't clicked the link until you highlighted it, you may have already removed it when I replied. Have you removed it now and what happens to the OP.

The O.P. is Lady G. What would you want to happen to her?