Combined heating

AKULA

Featured Posts

I've wondered this too, as I have a squirrel and an alde.  

My concern would be this:  The alde on my boat is completely pump driven, there's no heat coming through when the boiler is running but the pump is off, so no gravity effect.

If I linked a back boiler, and there was still no gravity effect to this I'd have two issues:  

1.  I'd need to have the pump running the whole time the fire was lit which might have implications for my batteries.

2. If the pump failed the back boiler could overheat and explode.

I've put the idea on the back-burner ;) for a while

ahhh yes, misread, they want to use the pump in the alde to run both, would that work though as normally the alde and stove are some way apart and the pump in the alde is tiny.

I would just fit the valves and a pump to run the back boiler, less faff?

On 11/05/2017 at 16:11, Dave Payne said:

ahhh yes, misread, they want to use the pump in the alde to run both, would that work though as normally the alde and stove are some way apart and the pump in the alde is tiny.

I would just fit the valves and a pump to run the back boiler, less faff?

Thus speaks a man on a shoreline!!

Probably not worth the hassle except for a year round liveaboard.

A trawl of the forum archives for 'back boiler' 'backboiler' 'gravity heating' and 'thermosyphon' should help! :)

Eta: If you'd like to have a go, do make sure it includes a big, wide, uninterrupted (NO valves) vent pipe between the backboiler outlet and open air, 22mm+ should do OK for a small backboiler.

Edited by smileypete