Advice needed (not a narrow boat)

Calranthe

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Thank you, the adventure begins, once we are in Aston and we have a safe way for Paola to Embark and Disembark we will slowly explore the canals and once experience is had the rivers and beyond.

Best of luck, enjoy.

47 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Has it got:

Hammer for mooring pins. 

Sea magnet? (Optional but useful!)

Chains or hooks for piling?

Windlasses?

Boat pole and hook?

You mention citrus rinse or something for the bog, have you got blue for the holding tank too?

A spare cassette if there is not one already is also a really sound investment. I would also check the cassette with the existing bog too before you use it to make sure it is not leaky, and if so, order the replacement seals if needed.

Windlasses yes,

Rubber Hammer just arrived

Extendable boat pole with a hook type end,

Sea magnet never heard of one but seems like a good idea once I googled it, will order one.

Piling hook on its way.

It does not have a holding tank as far as I know.

Spare cassette sound like a good idea.

Edited by Calranthe

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have a feeling it has an electric fuel pump, this is non-standard but as long as it works its fine. Its the black cylindrical thing just in front of the fuel filter

Yay for non standard and all the special and unique things to learn :huh: I did wonder what that was.

Edited by Calranthe

Calranthe, it sounds like you're very well organised with all your kit. Did you see my PM re possible stopovers/pick-up points if your wife wanted to join you on your trip up to Aston?

11 minutes ago, MHS said:

Calranthe, it sounds like you're very well organised with all your kit. Did you see my PM re possible stopovers/pick-up points if your wife wanted to join you on your trip up to Aston?

I will keep them for another Trip, Paola can't come with us till we have a safe way for her to get on and off.

3 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Sorry that was a bit woolly, by holding tank I mean the base of the Porta Potti, the bit where the deposits end up... This needs its own type of fluid, the rinse stuff for the top (rinse) tank is not enough.

Blue is the most widely used (and effective, in most people's opinions) but a "green" is also available, and some people use bio washing powder instead... 

Edited by Starcoaster

19 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

SHHH not everyone gets a unicorn!

They will if Labour win the election!....we all get free everything...unless you earn any money or own anything then you get to look after them :D

....sorry I recant my political comment....but not the joke :cheers:

11 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

They will if Labour win the election!....we all get free everything...unless you earn any money or own anything then you get to look after them :D

....sorry I recant my political comment....but not the joke :cheers:

Youll need at least four to pull your boat, and another two for the trike! 

19 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Windlasses yes,

Rubber Hammer just arrived

Extendable boat pole with a hook type end,

Sea magnet never heard of one but seems like a good idea once I googled it, will order one.

Piling hook on its way.

Spare cassette sound like a good idea.

On a serious note....piling hook and chain!?.....is that for the mid-stream posts?

i've got the chocolate teacups and the cat flap for my St Bernard!?

sorry one other serious question, what is the right type of phrase to ask for non marine leisure battery but the stronger rechargeable......have seen a few different phrases but don't want non-marine batteries but equally don't want the marine leisure type.....I think :huh:

it only has two but I will go for 4 ...no idea how to hook four up just yet but ....more reading tonight and tomorrow - high winds and rain forecast for Monday when my boat comes out for survey .....I love Britain!!! B)

36 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

On a serious note....piling hook and chain!?.....is that for the mid-stream posts?

i've got the chocolate teacups and the cat flap for my St Bernard!?

sorry one other serious question, what is the right type of phrase to ask for non marine leisure battery but the stronger rechargeable......have seen a few different phrases but don't want non-marine batteries but equally don't want the marine leisure type.....I think :huh:

it only has two but I will go for 4 ...no idea how to hook four up just yet but ....more reading tonight and tomorrow - high winds and rain forecast for Monday when my boat comes out for survey .....I love Britain!!! B)

I don't do serious but...... 

The hook and chain are often used to attach to armco type barriers when mooring up. 

If going the wet cell lead acid type,it is often advised to go for cheapie leisure batteries until you are confident in your charging regime before buying anything more heavy duty (e.g Trojan, Crown, US or other semi traction type). 

The other route is full traction batteries but they aint cheap. 

See here for connecting batteries

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Rain is good for survey. It will highlight any leaks from Windows, vents hatches etc. 

Edited by rusty69

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't do serious but...... 

The hook and chain are often used to attach to armco type barriers when mooring up. 

If going the wet cell lead acid type,it is often advised to go for cheapie leisure batteries until you are confident in your charging regime before buying anything more heavy duty (e.g Trojan, Crown, US or other semi traction type). 

The other route is full traction batteries but they aint cheap. 

See here for connecting batteries

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Rain is good for survey. It will highlight any leaks from Windows, vents hatches etc. 

Cheers.....sorry spoiled the moment but had to ask....need to get a decent battery set up ready in mind and will look up Armco type barriers .....sorry Rusty (mistyped your name and it came up Aristotle!!:oB)) ....yep I am that new to it all :D

1 minute ago, MaggieMay said:

Tool kit??

Wrench and spanners for the engine, swiss army knife for everything else http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-41/ 

Replaced the entire house toolkit when we moved house, that little knife has build Storage in the garden, wardrobes, fixed computers, helped me rehang doors, fit locks, a firepit and solar system.

Was actually quite scary getting rid of draws and bags worth of tools and relying on something I can fit in my pocket (we have all seen the knock off cheap versions), thought it was a gimmick until It arrived every part of it is precision and the strongest tool I have ever had.

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers.....sorry spoiled the moment but had to ask....need to get a decent battery set up ready in mind and will look up Armco type barriers .....sorry Rusty (mistyped your name and it came up Aristotle!!:oB)) ....yep I am that new to it all :D

Semi-Traction was I came up with.....not a bleeding clue what it means in reality but.....sounded good in the forum chats.

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Semi-Traction was I came up with.....not a bleeding clue what it means in reality but.....sounded good in the forum chats.

As i said, until you are happy you can maintain what you have, you will likely trash an expensive set of semi traction batteries (Trojan t105 seem popular on here) as quickly as cheap leisure type. 

You will need ro determine when to start charging and when to stop to get max life out of a set of batteries (loads of threads already on that) 

Pythagoras

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

As i said, until you are happy you can maintain what you have, you will likely trash an expensive set of semi traction batteries (Trojan t105 seem popular on here) as quickly as cheap leisure type. 

You will need ro determine when to start charging and when to stop to get max life out of a set of batteries (loads of threads already on that) 

Pythagoras

:cheers:

3 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

You need somewhere to house those extra batteries. I would get the boat first and live with whats there for a few months at least before changing anything

• Greenie 2