Its Just Toooooo Big

Featured Posts

Was considering upgrading my Kipor 2000 generator to allow for the running of an electric cooker, deep fat fryer, immersion heater,, toaster, hair dryer etc etc and worked out I needed 'quite a large one' - however it now turns out that this one will not fit in thru the engine hatch doors so is back on the market.

Warning - It does also require quite a large fuel tank / supply.

For Sale:

Mitsubishi V16 Generators

Price:
POA +VAT
Description:
Mitsubishi V16 S16NPTA Generators 1800kva Stamford alternator very low hours complete with control panels Exsaust's radiators ect. Full details on request.

339a966f-f46d-439b-9622-ad772ce2f15c_large2000.jpg

091c8c9b-5a80-46b1-b884-70ce7df4a5e3_large2000.jpg

I have overseen the installablation of many of those when I was a project manager.  The Mitsubishi engines produce copious black smoke on initial loading, more than any other type of engine I have seen (standard test for turbocharged diesel generators is 70% of full load in one step, followed by another 40% within 30 seconds (standby generators are usually specified to be able to run at 110% load for any one hour in twelve).

The last ones I installed were in Kings Cross, where their copious smoke production on taking load attracted the attention of the fire brigade and the local council :(. Fortunately both were satisfied that once commissioned it wold be a relatively rare occurrence and decided not to press matters further.

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

Can the first one be converted to run off a 13kg LPG tank, i have four on the boat so could probably run it for some time before needed more gas, gotta be more cost efective than buying and fitting a gas oven.

Only if you removed the Turbochargers and replaced them with a pair of Ecofans:D

52 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

big diesel engines run on almost anything.  probably run if you liquidised the chicken, bones and all, and put it in the fuel tank.

Indeed they do, have run a few cars on various oils that include Cod liver oil, shark liver oil, Krill oil and even strawberry flavouring.

43 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Indeed they do, have run a few cars on various oils that include Cod liver oil, shark liver oil, Krill oil and even strawberry flavouring.

One can only why Dave wanted to run his cars on such esoteric fuel. Must have cost a fortune in large quantities :D

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

One can only why Dave wanted to run his cars on such esoteric fuel. Must have cost a fortune in large quantities :D

It was all free, used to work for a company that made fish oil capsules, rejected stock used to go straight into my BMW!

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

It was all free, used to work for a company that made fish oil capsules, rejected stock used to go straight into my BMW!

And I always thought (in the days before ultra low sulphur diesel) that it was sulphur I could smell as some cars accelerated -_-

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

I was involved in the installation of a huge generator like this onto a roof of an office building in London years ago. It was the middle of Winter with deep snow and ice everywhere. We did the 24 hour load tests with the load banks (in effect very big fan heaters) along the edge of the roof. The tower crane driver on the building site the opposite side of the road spent the day working in a T shirt.

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And did the Met office comment on "unusually high temperatures in London today"?

No, but there were several gliders circling on the thermals above the building :D

I once had to close the staircase on a building during generator commissioning trsts because the heat from the load banks had heated up the brass handrail to uncomfortable temperatures.