VAT to pay on importing a boat?

VMDG

Featured Posts

Hello folks,

We have a question regarding whether there is VAT to pay on importing a boat please?

We are looking at buying a boat in the UK, where (we assume) VAT will have been paid on the initial purchase.

If we then export it to France, presumably the French Customs peeps will want proof that VAT has been paid?

If so, how do we acquire that info if the boat is 20/30/40 years old please?
(I imagine a lot of paperwork goes astray after decades ;-)  )

Many thanks in advance.

Boats built before 1985 are deemed VAT paid if they were in the EU on December 31, 1992, providing there’s paperwork to support both dates. For age this could be a marine survey, Part 1 registration, insurance documents or a builder’s certificate, while receipts for mooring or winter storage would satisfy the location requirement. When buying a second-hand pleasure craft from any VAT registered business in the EU, the invoice should itemise the VAT charged to you in that transaction.

Newer boats after that might need proof that the VAT has been paid

Hi there,

That's really helpful, thank you!

When we spoke to a boat yard / boat-seller, the sales manager did not know that info!

We'll check out the docs when we visit there this week with interest.

Thanks again.

I know that you are considering your options, but have you thought of buying a French ex-hire boat? They will have been regularly maintained and should be in good condition - for 2 people something like a Penichette 935 might fit your bill. Look on t'internet, there are usually a few for sale.

You will generally find that 'canal boats' in England do not have any 'paperwork' their is no certificate of ownership, very rarely a RCD compliance certificate and almost never a VAT Paid certificate.

You are correct that the French Authorities are very 'hot' on boat paperwork (particularly for UK boats) and you will need a full collection of compliance documentation before they will let the boat in.

I had a similar problem last year in that a Boat I bought in Croatia did not have a VAT certificate - I had to go to the Croatian Customs and get a form "T2L" (European wide form used to prove VAT has been paid)

In addition to the VAT form (or T2L) you will need

Builders certification

RCD Certification certificate

Original Bill of Sale and all the subsequent Bill Of Sale

Insurance

Copy of UK registration certificate (SSR)

You would be better to speak with French Customs and find out exactly what they want - BUT - it will not be easy to get a UK Canal boat into France. It can be done (and has been done) but be prepared for a challenge.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

I know that you are considering your options, but have you thought of buying a French ex-hire boat? They will have been regularly maintained and should be in good condition - for 2 people something like a Penichette 935 might fit your bill. Look on t'internet, there are usually a few for sale.

Spooky! My wife just received details of a Penichette 935 ex-hire boat!!

We viewed a few French (privately owned) boats last week on a flying visit, but they didn't seem well maintained in general.

Thanks for the suggestion.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You will generally find that 'canal boats' in England do not have any 'paperwork' their is no certificate of ownership, very rarely a RCD compliance certificate and almost never a VAT Paid certificate.

You are correct that the French Authorities are very 'hot' on boat paperwork (particularly for UK boats) and you will need a full collection of compliance documentation before they will let the boat in.

I had a similar problem last year in that a Boat I bought in Croatia did not have a VAT certificate - I had to go to the Croatian Customs and get a form "T2L" (European wide form used to prove VAT has been paid)

In addition to the VAT form (or T2L) you will need

Builders certification

RCD Certification certificate

Original Bill of Sale and all the subsequent Bill Of Sale

Insurance

Copy of UK registration certificate (SSR)

You would be better to speak with French Customs and find out exactly what they want - BUT - it will not be easy to get a UK Canal boat into France. It can be done (and has been done) but be prepared for a challenge.

Blimey - sounds a scary prospect!

We bought a property in France before & that was a nightmare, even speaking good French & with a French solicitor acting for us!

Many thanks for that comprehensive list of docs. Much appreciated!

23 minutes ago, Robbo said:

A lot more suitable boats available in France for there system.  Unless you want to do boating in the U.K. Why not just buy the boat in France?

Good question ;-)

It was down to seeing "nicer" boats (quality better for the price) than we found last week in France.
If it's a real challenge to export them to France though, we might reconsider!

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hi Athy,

Is the Penichette 935 a good choice for the French canals & rivers?

Many thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, VMDG said:

Blimey - sounds a scary prospect!

We bought a property in France before & that was a nightmare, even speaking good French & with a French solicitor acting for us!

you surprise me - bruvver bought an extensive property in Brittany last year and found the legal stuff was a doddle, mainly because the notaire publique  handled the transaction on behalf of both parties, which I understand is the normal arrangement........   and there was a fixed date for completion - no pissing around for 'searches', gazumping, etc.  If only we had such a system in England and Wales.

As mentioned the French can be very funny about bringing boats into the country, even if the boat was made in France and the VAT already been paid by the first owner . A friend of mine has a place in France and he acquired an Amel Super Maramu from outside Europe and wanted to keep it in a local marina so he could go cruising when he liked.

The French wanted him to pay VAT on it as they said it had been exported or something like that as it had been out of the country for a long period of time.

Anyway he got it sorted at the end of the day, but he said he would never do it again. 

4 hours ago, VMDG said:

Hi Athy,

Is the Penichette 935 a good choice for the French canals & rivers?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes. We have hired one twice, for a week each time, on the Canal de Garonne and River Baise, and are doing so again next month. They are solid, spacious, well-equipped and powerful. I am unsure of your budget; they tend to go for about £30,000.

We have also hired a narrowboat in France, on the Canal du Midi. I would recommend this less for French conditions.

13 hours ago, Murflynn said:

you surprise me - bruvver bought an extensive property in Brittany last year and found the legal stuff was a doddle, mainly because the notaire publique  handled the transaction on behalf of both parties, which I understand is the normal arrangement........   and there was a fixed date for completion - no pissing around for 'searches', gazumping, etc.  If only we had such a system in England and Wales.

Glad his went well.

We did ours the same way but he didn't answer our French solicitor for 2.5 months! Also, the local mayor didn't want Brits moving to "his" village ;-)