Reasons For not Closing Lock Gates On The Southern GU

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

If it was possible to bring  side pond use back into lock operation as a must that would put a spanner in the works for a good number of present day boaters. Shame they were phased out made a heck of a difference to  the Atherstone flight when a good few of the locks still had working examples

Lock 6 still works.  ☺

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Lock 6 still works.  ☺

Strange that, it was always the most awkward to use in regards to it's operation A question how many folk passing through that lock use the side pond? i would guess not many

There was a shabby CRT notice stating that nobody except authorised bods (for water control!!???) is allowed to use it any more.

I read the notice after I had used it.

Every time☺

Edited by matty40s

14 minutes ago, Mal in Somerset said:

As I was flushing the water down Stoke Bruerne flight I paused to read the infographics on the side pounds. I would paraphrase it something as follows: "As no one these days knows how to use them we've closed them all off and use them as a breeding ground for cute little baby birds!" Yes I like cute little baby birds (unless they grow up to be swans) but wouldn't it be great to be able to use the canal ways the way they were intended to be used. 

It would be great but will never return, the other old timers & myself who boated back then & wish in vain for a return to the practices of then are labeled as boring farts looking through Rosie specs  As said times & demands change  I just hope for the likes of WRG & others work to re open closed streches is not over run & the cut becomes a linear mooring for folk wanting a place /boat for the sole purpose of a place to live ( nothing  amiss with that)to the detriment of not having any interest in the canal system so long as there is a place to moor their boat & not or moving a tiny distance

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There was a shabby CRT notice stating that nobody except authorised bods (for water control!!???) is allowed to use it any more.

Whilst sorting out the Stoke Bruerne flight the question I was asked most was have you phoned CaRT. My response was my phone wasn't charged although the real answer was that by the time they arrive I'll have got it back to normal again anyway. The only thing I could have done with was one of those "Do not disturb" tags to hang over an open paddle as having gone up to the top to let the water down a boater coming down thought someone was playing "silly buggers" and shut everything off again meaning another trip to the top!

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Lock 6 still works.  ☺

58 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Strange that, it was always the most awkward to use in regards to it's operation A question how many folk passing through that lock use the side pond? i would guess not many

I'm sure I read somewhere that unless all the side ponds in a flight are used/in operation there is no potential saving of water.  Is that the case and if so can someone explain why? 

Edited by Neil2

18 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that unless all the side ponds in a flight are used/in operation there is no potential saving of water.  Is that the case and if so can someone explain why? 

Because by using only half a lockful for that particular lock the excess water from the pound above will eventually overflow the bywash.

If there is plenty of water or the boats are moving mainly in one direction there is no benefit. It only works when water is restricted and boats are alternating. That said side ponds are still used in some so-called "staircases" such as the Bratch and Watford.

Edited by Mal in Somerset

2 hours ago, NB Lola said:

Boaters handbook pages 19 and 21 asks you to close gates unless a boat is approaching

No law just a polite request.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/141.pdf

I wish I could give you a greeno! The world seems to be rapidly filling with "it not in the law" and "I know my rights" and politeness and doing what you are asked is going out of the window - fast.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

What is the point if only one in the flight works?

45 minutes ago, Mal in Somerset said:

If there is plenty of water or the boats are moving mainly in one direction there is no benefit. It only works when water is restricted and boats are alternating. That said side ponds are still used in some so-called "staircases" such as the Bratch and Watford.

Watford, like Foxton IS a staircase, Bratch (although originally built as one), is 3 separate locks now, separated by very, very short pounds.

Edited by matty40s

4 hours ago, Mal in Somerset said:

Also I don't know whether I'm going blind but who's nicked all the distance markers in the Blisworth tunnel? 

Not sure which ones you are referring too - but haven't noticed that any of the plastic 100 metre chainage signs are missing.

The imperial cast iron chainage plates were never replaced on the relined central section - but I think the others are all still there.

As to the small metric chainage plates - not noticed any of those are missing.

Perhap a trip to Specsavers is needed Mal.......  

32 minutes ago, Mal in Somerset said:

That's because they're not side ponds.  They're ponds that just happen to be at the side.

10 minutes ago, Cleyley Bob said:

Not sure which ones you are referring too - but haven't noticed that any of the plastic 100 metre chainage signs are missing.

When did you last come through? Yesterday I didn't see any of the plastic markers between 700m south to 1300m north except for the midpoint marker!

2 minutes ago, Cleyley Bob said:

I haven't been through for a few weeks, but will at the week-end - so will see what I can see. 

I'll wait until then to book my appointment!! :) I know they were all there last month!

Edited by Mal in Somerset
  • Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I wish I could give you a greeno! The world seems to be rapidly filling with "it not in the law" and "I know my rights" and politeness and doing what you are asked is going out of the window - fast.

You have the wrong impression of what is being said then, no one is arguing that you should not be polite, or considerate. 

Edited by Muddy Ditch Rich

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I do.

And by the looks of the mud in it so do quite a few.  Quite different from the ones that are still in use between Bulls Bridge and Brentford which are very weedy.  I use those too and disturb the products of anaerobic respiration in a very smelly way.

Edited by Theo
Add a bit

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But dose it?

yes it dose

17 minutes ago, Theo said:

I do.

And by the looks of the mud in it so do quite a few.  Quite different from the ones that are still in use between Bulls Bridge and Brentford which are very weedy.  I use those too and disturb the products of anaerobic respiration in a very smelly way.

I reckon theres 5 side ponds that you can use in the Hanwell flight, partially or completely. I was stuck there waiting for CRT to reopen the top lock recently and was playing with the side ponds finding out how they all used to work and how they work now. Only one still has all 3 sections working. 

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, Mal in Somerset said:

I would call them side pounds at the Bratch, Watford and Foxton as they serve exactly the same purpose and the pound between two normal locks in a flight.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But dose it?

No.  It makes lock cycling much slower because you make a level twice for each lock passage and it is the last few inches that take a long time.

N