Mastervolt combi 12/2500-100 fault

1agos

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Absoloootely.

However people tend to only really depend on either one or the other, and if you use equally both you probably off-grid and use the extra that the a combi can offer over separates.

6 hours ago, 1agos said:

The good news is that I have the combi inverter back as is working as should. 

Mastervolt charge a flat rate £458.

Turn around is ten days from receipt in Holland(Thats on their web page).

Not so good is it took 7 weeks to get the thing back not the 2/3 I was expecting.

I don't have any more info about why the delay.  

Did they say what was wrong with it?

15 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Did they say what was wrong with it?

'AC auxiliary supply defect' 

Not sure what caused the fault  but may of been caused by a spike in the shore supply from the marina. Keith said this is becoming a problem at some marinas with a lot of residential moorers ramp up the voltage to keep up with demand.

Just now, 1agos said:

'AC auxiliary supply defect' 

Not sure what caused the fault  but may of been caused by a spike in the shore supply from the marina. Keith said this is becoming a problem at some marinas with a lot of residential moorers ramp up the voltage to keep up with demand.

Ah ok. Is there anything you can use to regulate the shore supply to prevent future damage i wonder. Combined regulator/isolation transformer. 

1 hour ago, 1agos said:

Keith said this is becoming a problem at some marinas with a lot of residential moorers ramp up the voltage to keep up with demand.

Who is 'ramping up the voltage'?  surely, only the electricity supply company can affect the voltage?  Wouldn't it be illegal to exceed 230V AC +10% to -6%?

Just now, mross said:

Who is 'ramping up the voltage'?  surely, only the electricity supply company can affect the voltage?  Wouldn't it be illegal to exceed 230V AC +10% to -6%?

I think the substation can be tweaked to adjust the voltage and perhaps what is happening is that, with the long runs of 230v cabling around a large marina, voltage drop is an issue and so the substation is set at the upper limit of voltage so that by the time it reaches the bollard with heavy current draw, it's not too low. But perhaps that calculation is done assuming a non-zero minimum load and so at times when the load is exceptionally low, and the grid voltage a bit high, it can go over 253v. But even so, I'd expect the Combi to simply decline to accept the incoming shore supply.

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Yes strictly speaking it is illegal but it happens. I measured 261 volts at Glascote marina some years back, causing my Sterling Combi to reject it. Turns out that  suppliers had been over enthusiastic at local substation when new nearby estate was built.