Wanting to buy canal boat

Sharon881

Featured Posts

Well, we all started at the same knowledge base as you so don't worry about that. Most of us now know a bit more so its a good idea to ask about stuff. In my experience living on a boat is more difficult than it looks - mostly because unless you have a residential mooring - a rare and expensive thing - it is not really allowed, we can split hairs about 'allowed' but it can be difficult. That means that your 'home' is not a very secure thing. A big boat. i.e. a boat more than 7` wide cannot access much of the system and is not a lot of peoples first choice as a boat you want to move anywhere. A narrow boat is awfully narrow and whilst we brought up a couple of children on one they were seldom wet, smelly, hairy, muddy and tearing about all over the place like a heap of dogs. It is not cheap on a boat and you are paying a lot just for permission to be there, it doesn't entitle you to very much or very many rights and depreciation is horrible. However, we all have boats so why do we do it? We like boats, that's it really. I would have another look at Spain, our boat is in France mostly and serves as a second, travelling home and that works very well, depreciation doesn't matter as we have a 'proper' home here. I would not, though, sell everything and spend it on a boat.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. Pretty much everything I've ever achieved in the world of business has been done using other people's money.

Bank loans and mortgages are a prime source of capital for people starting out with nothing. Debt is a tool which can be very effective in helping establish a far bigger and profitable business than if the businessman tries to do it from a standing start using only their own capital/savings.

I owe everything I have to the availability of 'debt'. 

Ok I agree on some of that as I was in debt with my mortgage but in those days house prices rocketed and money was always made which enabled me to get out of the mortgage rat race and never go back. Just supposed upgrading to me just means further debt which is a no no. I have never borrowed for business or a boat however but people have less choice nowadays and I understand I am luckily to have been born in the 1950s and not the 1990s as a for instance................if only for the crap music the young uns now have to endure :)

8 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Hope that didn't include the house deeds the bank had just returned to you.................

Not needed any more.  Our bank had been looking ater the deeds for a nominal sum since we paid off the mortgage but no longer offer the service.  Sent us a huge pack with field plans and agreements going back much further than the age of the house.  Fascinating reading, but not needed any more a it is all on computer at the land registry.

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Generally a house :

1) Don't potentially sink

2) Don't need gas bottles fetching and connecting every week or two

3) Don't need lifting up and having their foundations painted every couple of years

4) Don't need their electricity replenished every day

5) Don't need their toilet contents emptying every few days

6) Don't need their water tanks filling every few days

7) Don't have engines that need servicing every 1000/200 hours

8) Don't have engines / gearboxes that can break down

Yes - a house can be a 'difficult' entity but it is really just a 'turn-on and use' lifestyle whereas as boat living requires much more 'interaction' & involvement from its occupier.

Oh yes, quite so. But you need only to read some of the posts made by one of our members (Patty Ann?) about her "horror house" to see that houses can cause serious stress also.

53 minutes ago, dor said:

Not needed any more.  Our bank had been looking ater the deeds for a nominal sum since we paid off the mortgage but no longer offer the service.  Sent us a huge pack with field plans and agreements going back much further than the age of the house.  Fascinating reading, but not needed any more a it is all on computer at the land registry.

Not sure about that as we were told they only moved older houses onto the land registry computer system as they were sold, so I am still keeping our deeds till we sell - just in case.  Maybe I will investigate further.....

Added - On the land registry web site it says "HM Land Registry holds records about most property or land sold in England or Wales since 1993, including the title register, title plan, title summary and flood risk indicator."  They do have some records for our house but as I would have to pay £6 for an unofficial copy to see what they actually have, I will wait and see what happens when we sell in a few years time.

Edited by Chewbacka

Living in London with either a mortgage or renting is very expensive, I have paid the 15% as well, worked hard in good times and bad times and I have no mortgage now, and would never take another one if offered, I owe nothing to the bank or anyone and I am very happy now not being a slave.  It is all about quality of life at the end of the day, I have many friends who live in spain and they love it. Have you looked at renting your property out when the mortgage has been paid off. you can then rent in spain for half the price. Or as other have said hire a boat and see how you get on, remember it is all about the quality of life you are looking for.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

28 years to pay off mine.

Last year had a big bonfire and tipped a wheelbarrow full of mort paperwork on it and cracked a tinny or two.

20160716_202130_resized_zpsstwvntyu.jpg

You spent 28 years of your life paying off a mortgage and you then celebrated by drinking two beers out of Tin Cans ?????

Actually its even worse because it looks like you drank two wines out of Tin Cans. :D

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

You spent 28 years of your life paying off a mortgage and you then celebrated by drinking two beers out of Tin Cans ?????

Actually its even worse because it looks like you drank two wines out of Tin Cans. :D

...............Dave

Simple pleasures in life are always the best, the only think missing is grilling a steak on the flames - though you might risk lead poising from the lead in the printers ink.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Hope that didn't include the house deeds the bank had just returned to you.................

'The deeds' are simply as paper trail of receipts proving ownership going back to when the house was new. Nowadays not necessary as an entry in the Land Registry counts as absolute proof of title.

But notwithstanding all that, that bonfire looks more like a wooden pallet to me than a pile of receipts.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok I agree on some of that as I was in debt with my mortgage but in those days house prices rocketed and money was always made which enabled me to get out of the mortgage rat race and never go back. Just supposed upgrading to me just means further debt which is a no no. I have never borrowed for business or a boat however but people have less choice nowadays and I understand I am luckily to have been born in the 1950s and not the 1990s as a for instance................if only for the crap music the young uns now have to endure :)

Get a Spotify account and investigate the HUGE amount of great music that is now about, much of it inspired by the stuff of our generation. The stuff on the radio is crap, but then it always was,  we remember the good bits and rather forget the charts full of Val Doonicans etc.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'The deeds' are simply as paper trail of receipts proving ownership going back to when the house was new. Nowadays not necessary as an entry in the Land Registry counts as absolute proof of title.

But notwithstanding all that, that bonfire looks more like a wooden pallet to me than a pile of receipts.

Where is your sense of occasion? Did you not burn your school uniform when you left school and supplement that fire with a few logs? You need to relax and go for a few beers in the Three Horseshoes tonight (did a trial run yesterday, its still the roughest pub on the K&A).

Now that everything is computerised maybe we should ceremoniously destroy a laptop to celebrate lifes milestones?

...............Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Where is your sense of occasion? Did you not burn your school uniform when you left school and supplement that fire with a few logs? You need to relax and go for a few beers in the Three Horseshoes tonight (did a trial run yesterday, its still the roughest pub on the K&A).

Now that everything is computerised maybe we should ceremoniously destroy a laptop to celebrate lifes milestones?

...............Dave

Do they sell the tinned wine that Mark99 says he is drinking in his photo?

Ceremoniously delete the "Homework" directory, surely? Keep the lappy!

(Oops sorry, 'folder'. I blame Bill Gates for that one.)

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They sell three proper beers but many customers drink the 8.2% Henrys cider straight from the bottle. I believe if they don't have what you want its ok to buy stuff from the shop down the road and take that in. Maybe the shop sells tinned wine. However if you want to re-create Mark99's event I reckon lighting a fire in the public bar might be frowned upon.

..............Dave

The lack of a decent continuous internet signal is what finished off Arthur Bray.

As he staggered off the back of Raymond, for the last time, with his riveted dongle he was heard to mutter .....

"That's it! I'm done, no more blasted spinning hour glass for me, I'm off to Spain."

Oh, and I do ceremoniously put a laptop on a bonfire every couple of years, they don't seem to last any longer than that.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Not sure about that as we were told they only moved older houses onto the land registry computer system as they were sold, so I am still keeping our deeds till we sell - just in case.  Maybe I will investigate further.....

Added - On the land registry web site it says "HM Land Registry holds records about most property or land sold in England or Wales since 1993, including the title register, title plan, title summary and flood risk indicator."  They do have some records for our house but as I would have to pay £6 for an unofficial copy to see what they actually have, I will wait and see what happens when we sell in a few years time.

My mortgage finished a couple of years ago, and the bank returned my deeds etc saying that I could dispose of them as the were now kept electronically at the land registry, the flat has not changed hands since the late 1980's.

Tim

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Simple pleasures in life are always the best, the only think missing is grilling a steak on the flames - though you might risk lead poising from the lead in the printers ink.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ceremoniously delete the "Homework" directory, surely? Keep the lappy!

(Oops sorry, 'folder'. I blame Bill Gates for that one.)

He he - for a start that's not me in the photo. I was the one with camera. The last time I drank wine was the previous Century. I had such a stinking hangover I have never touched a drop since.

Pallet to get things started before the burning of the Building Soc statements.  ;)

Edited by mark99

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

He he - for a start that's not me in the photo. I was the one with camera.

Pallet to get things started before the burning of the Building Soc statements.  ;)

You didn't find them unpalletable, then?

We bought, in about 2000, a house in Heanor which had been in the same ownership for some 20 or more years. When our solicitor got to work, she reported that the house was not on the land registry. It took a little time, but she did sort things out. She never suggested disposing of the deeds, but I suppose they weren't yet on computer back then.

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

28 years to pay off mine.

Last year had a big bonfire and tipped a wheelbarrow full of mort paperwork on it and cracked a tinny or two.

20160716_202130_resized_zpsstwvntyu.jpg

I've never rated that tinned wine myself!:D

Edited by frahkn
Don't know what happened - it was the most recent post when I replied - honest!

Not sure you get deeds anymore I sold a house we owned outright a couple of years ago and when I reclaimed the deeds from my solicitor he commented they would probably be destroyed as the land registry were going electronic ? 

Fascinating documents -  those were about 150 years old. Wish I'd made copies of them but only had them for few hours 

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

Not sure you get deeds anymore I sold a house we owned outright a couple of years ago and when I reclaimed the deeds from my solicitor he commented they would probably be destroyed as the land registry were going electronic ? 

Fascinating documents -  those were about 150 years old. Wish I'd made copies of them but only had them for few hours 

We still have the deeds to my old mums house built in 1626 and very interesting reading. My parents paid cash for the house in 1953 so have had the deeds most of their lives, the originals are kept for safety for a tiny fee by a local solicitor. They will never be destroyed wetherthe registry have gone digtal or not they aint getting these deeds.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We still have the deeds to my old mums house built in 1626 and very interesting reading. My parents paid cash for the house in 1953 so have had the deeds most of their lives, the originals are kept for safety for a tiny fee by a local solicitor. They will never be destroyed wetherthe registry have gone digtal or not they aint getting these deeds.

Similar here - Our solicitor wanted to bin 'the family history' when the cottage was placed on the Registry - No way says I, and she reluctantly passed the bundle over. Some folks have no soul....

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Similar here - Our solicitor wanted to bin 'the family history' when the cottage was placed on the Registry - No way says I, and she reluctantly passed the bundle over. Some folks have no soul....

And often fascinating. Mums tiny stone cottage in the past had been two one up and one down tiny cottages and for a time a village inn. When I was a small child it still had the two staircases one in each downstairs room leading up to each bedroom from when it was too tiny cottages, my Father removed one staircase when I was 7 or 8ish.

The original roof was replaced about thirty years ago when it was already well over 300 years old and some of the original roof trusses in oak were in such good condition that the bloke replacing the roof told my Dad to keep them as they were better than the new stuff he had brought to replace them with so there is still about a third of it original. Bet the crap people pay millions for today wont last as long.