Blasting

Featured Posts

Who is doing the prep work and masking off?  Who is clearing up the after crap?

I am assuming we are talking about the hull (bottom and sides) only on a 40-70 ft boat.  Price won' t vary much with length though. 

For the blasting about £1k depending on media and assuming you are somewhere near civilisation.  Add at least as much for prep and protection work.

The hardest part is finding somewhere to do it without having to build a containment box for the muck etc.  Very few docks will allow it and the boatyards that do usually want to offer a full service including the lift.

N

I paid £350 to have my widebeam grit-blasted 2 years ago. That included the sides up to the top rubbing strake/top-plank, swims, uxter plates and the upswept part of the baseplate at the bow, but not the rest of the baseplate.

Edited by blackrose

Cannot comment on where / price etc.

However you must remember that the bare steel must be fully 'repainted'  with at least the base layer of your chosen coating system WITHIN FOUR HOURS otherwise the effort will be largely wasted.

Thank you Blackrose. Looks like my local man is about right then. Although never been in the water my hull has Interluf 16 which has obviously been sprayed on as a protective coat and will certainly need work before launch. I have asked Debdale and had a price of around £5K.I`m not sure whether that comes with any guarantee but it would certainly pay for a number of "blackings" and I`d want to see the hull every couple of years or so anyway what ever is applied bearing in mind Zinga is only really an "undercoat" with advantages. My reason for asking is that I am looking into Zinga or cold galvanizing on a DIY basis. Perhaps I`m being a little optimistic but exploring the possibilities.

1 hour ago, Grebe said:

Cannot comment on where / price etc.

However you must remember that the bare steel must be fully 'repainted'  with at least the base layer of your chosen coating system WITHIN FOUR HOURS otherwise the effort will be largely wasted.

Who told you that?

If the humidity was so high that the bare steel needed painting within 4 hours then I'd say you probably shouldn't be painting anyway because the conditions aren't right. And if what you're saying were true then surely most builders efforts would have been wasted painting on bitumen and topside primers to hulls in the first place? Most don't get the paint onto the bare steel within 4 hours.

The Jotamastic 2 part epoxy system I used on my boat is well capable of dealing with flash rust - not that there was any after a day of bare steel on my hull. It took a whole day to sweep the boat clean and spirit wipe the bare steel with thinners (No 17 for Jotamastic 87), so there was no way it could have been painted within 4 hours.

If you're ultra-high water jetting then you would be left with flash rust so you'd need a paint system that could cope. Aluminium needs painting within about 20 minutes with etch primers or other paint systems, but what you're saying about steel is just wrong.  

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1