Reasons not to move a boat part 1

Ray T

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I've just put some of these signs in the windows of my boat - helpfully provided by a boater (Andy W on NB Libelula) via a CRT newsletter. Lots of different versions and colours. I printed mine at A5. I may have a photo somewhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xiqi8svkru4o8vf/AACw-vNwY3nn7EcfmZQm89uja?dl=0

I used to sail with a skipper on the Solent lumpy stuff who kept a supply of babies terry towelling nappies on board for hanging on the guard wires when moored on the old piles in Yarmouth Harbour.  Did a grand job of deterring potential "raftees"! :lol:

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Reasons not to move a boat part 1"

I'm on the edge of my gunwale waiting for part 2, part 3, part 4 etc....

Taken from Ian Drury and the Blockheads:

As far as I am aware there were no subsequent parts.

Edited by Ray T

30 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Sadly that's wrong Ian's song was Reasons to be cheerful part 3

The Popmaster prize goes to Mr. Loddon for that correct answer! In the next round, who were Bob Dylan's other 33 rainy day women?

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

The Popmaster prize goes to Mr. Loddon for that correct answer! In the next round, who were Bob Dylan's other 33 rainy day women?

The ones he dreamed of in his 115th dream?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The ones with whom Meatloaf wouldn't do that?

On the Broads there is a lot of friction between moorers wanting to double moor.

The Broads Authority have said that permission must be sought prior to coming along side, and permssion can be refused.

There were simple rules, the boat attempting to double moor could not be longer than the one already on the bank. 

Suits me Sir... not many boats less than our 23' length struggle to find a mooring.

However, our boat is very unstable with a 100 kg crossing the foredeck, if someone stepped aboard without knowledge, then kettles and boiling pans could spill, causing injury,  wine and beer, lost, serious stuff.

If I stood up from the dinette just as a moorer walked across the deck, he might trip, crack a window, etc who is responsible for damage and personal injury?

You also have antisocial running of engines or generators and central heating exhausts, do you check which side these exit before double mooring?

Water pumps, electric macerators, loud tvs and stereos, rattling of calor gas bottles, and slamming of locker lids...

Why would anyone want to encourage double mooring?

I came to the boat to get away from it all.

It hasn't affected us, for the length reason mentioned, but I can see it causing friction.

Oh... I'm thinking of getting a sign made... "If you are thinking of double mooring... Warning... I SNORE ! "

Richard

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 17:44, blackrose said:

Perhaps you don't live on your boat then.

Live on mine, haven't watched telly on it for past 8 years, I have better things to do with my time.

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

Live on mine, haven't watched telly on it for past 8 years, I have better things to do with my time.

To those that say "I have not got the time" just say "do you watch telly"?

Telly - the great thief of time.

Edited by mark99

7 hours ago, mark99 said:

To those that say "I have not got the time" just say "do you watch telly"?

Telly - the great thief of time.

Met the said gent today between bridges 101 and 98 on the GU. As we passed I asked how his satellite reception was? I got a gruff "I beg your pardon." I just replied "You're welcome" and we both carried on our merry way to enjoy the lovely day.

Mark, with regard to TV, on one occasion I mentioned to the narrowboat captain I visit, the size of some of the narrowboat families. His reply - "We 'ad no telly in 'em days."

A lovely day picture.

DSCF3283.JPG

Edited by Ray T

Waiting for the tide to descend Torksey, a Hudson was hovering, so I invited him alongside. After 10 mins with his Gardner shaking my boat morethan my own engine ever did, I suggested he might want to turn it off. 'I can't,' he said, @the wife has got the breadmaker on'. I expressed surprise that his inverter wouldnot cope with it to which he replied' Oh, it will, but if the freezer kicks in then it all switches off'.

I once pulled in along with several other club members behind a boat in the middle of a convenient stretch of the Shroppie without the shelf. The lady off the boat came to tell me that they would need to start their engine, and it smoked badly. I expressed my sympathy at how uncomfortable it must be for them. The engine stayed silent.

If there is a stretch of moorings with spaces free, I will usually moor at the downwind end, that way when engines start and idle for ages the fumes blow away from me.

Added - Probably should have kept that to myself.

Edited by Chewbacka

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If there is a stretch of moorings with spaces free, I will usually moor at the downwind end, that way when engines start and idle for ages the fumes blow away from me.

Added - Probably should have kept that to myself.

Surely if you are at the 'downwind' end then the smoke is blown towards you ?

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely if you are at the 'downwind' end then the smoke is blown towards you ?

Same principle as in a pub garden - no matter what the wind is doing, smoke always travels from the smoker's table to the non-smoker's table.