After you have done your 20 miles then what?

Jstupot

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Agree I am in Sheffield at the moment it isnt the place of my youth that it for certain

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Or any city for that matter.

ah, but we must infer that neither of you really wants to moor up within 3 miles of your work, 2 miles of a retail park and 1 mile of the kids' school, but without actually paying for the convenience.  (howls of 'but we already pay for a licence, we just have to swap locations occasionally to enable us to challenge CRT' [at considerable cost financed from everyone's licence fees] from the usual piss taking suspects B))

• Greenie 1

On 16/04/2017 at 07:40, Dave_P said:

I'm sorry but this is simply wrong. 

I have a mooring and a job in Birmingham. I also cruise for at least a third of a year, within a range of an hour's commute of my work. This includes easily 300+ miles of canal and river. I've often wondered about going back to cc'ing but I like having a home base to return to. If I did give up my mooring, I'd be so far beyond the minimum cruising guidelines, I wouldn't even concern myself with them. 

So, if you have a mooring then no one could have any issue with what you are doing. If however you gave up the mooring you would be "bending the rules" for the two thirds of the year that you are not cruising. And I use the word "rules" loosely. What I really mean is the intent and what we really all know is continuous cruising.

im blowed to understand any of this .is it not so simple .if you break the law .goverment.crt. town rules village rules land owners rules ...then be dealt with .if you are not breaking rules then carry on what you are doing ..now theres a good boy 

1 hour ago, haza said:

im blowed to understand any of this .is it not so simple .if you break the law .goverment.crt. town rules village rules land owners rules ...then be dealt with .if you are not breaking rules then carry on what you are doing ..now theres a good boy 

All very true, but, can you please define the rules on boating / movement / CCing ?

1 minute ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Without clearly defined rules what you think is "genuine" is just your opinion. 

True and I think CRT will come to the same conclusion and go Parliament to resolve the problems

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, AndyV said:

So, if you have a mooring then no one could have any issue with what you are doing. If however you gave up the mooring you would be "bending the rules" for the two thirds of the year that you are not cruising. And I use the word "rules" loosely. What I really mean is the intent and what we really all know is continuous cruising.

No. If I gave up my mooring, I would be cruising all year around 300+ miles of waterway. No bending of any rules. 

sorry alan .i dont know the rules .24/36/48/ 7 days 14 days ...if thats the staying rules thats the rules ..but when i have had to stay over which i did last year .on more then one occasion ..i explained to crt .and they were very helpful with this ...you are always going to get the piss takers thats the way of life im afraid ....im not miss goody two shoe ...were it states this is not a winding hole and my boat will turn i will use it ...so you see most everyone breaks the rules in one form or another ..keep a straight face and your laughing 

1 hour ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Without clearly defined rules what you think is "genuine" is just your opinion.

The whole point surely is that the rules are not clearly defined, nor can they be. The only clearly defined bit is that you have to "satisfy" CRT, which doesn't help at all. For the huge majority of boaters, the rules are largely irrelevant, because they comply without even thinking about it with the T&Cs as expressed by CRT. For the small minority, choices are simple enough - either get a mooring where you want to be, or expect hassle and cope with it. The T&Cs, whether they are legal or not, can be at least taken as guidelines as to how CRT would like you to behave.

However, a basic rule of life is that you can actually do anything you like, as long as you are prepared to take responsibility for it and take the consequences.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

However, a basic rule of life is that you can actually do anything you like, as long as you are prepared to take responsibility for it and take the consequences.

Take responsibility for my actions? What a revolutionary idea. 

Edited by WotEver
Autocorrect got it wrong!

33 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The whole point surely is that the rules are not clearly defined, nor can they be. The only clearly defined bit is that you have to "satisfy" CRT, which doesn't help at all. For the huge majority of boaters, the rules are largely irrelevant, because they comply without even thinking about it with the T&Cs as expressed by CRT. For the small minority, choices are simple enough - either get a mooring where you want to be, or expect hassle and cope with it. The T&Cs, whether they are legal or not, can be at least taken as guidelines as to how CRT would like you to behave.

That indeed was the case before CaRT seemed to be trying to make holders of moorings comply with the CC requirements. It seems to me that NOW if I leave the marina for a few weekend in a row, travel to my favourite spot, stay for a day or so and back to the marina I will be laying myself open to action by CaRT. Even more so because their checking system seems far from suitable for the data they seem to want to extract from it.

Unless CaRT make it clear that those with home moorings can use the canal as described then it is easy to break the rules by doing what you have been allowed to do for years without even thinking about it.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Take responsibility for my actions? What a revolutionary idea. 

it's a very old-fashioned notion, but not commonly practised these days.

Our local woodland park is a mess today, after the irresponsible eejits have had their bbqs and littered the place with empty plastic food wrappers, beer cans, uneaten takeaways.  Some of the local lanes are blocked by fly-tippers.  The budget cuts mean that the council cannot spend so much time cleaning up after people.  It seems to be the norm these days. 

let's face it, a significant proportion of people are horrible and spoil it for the rest of us, including continuous cruisers moorers.

53 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That indeed was the case before CaRT seemed to be trying to make holders of moorings comply with the CC requirements. It seems to me that NOW if I leave the marina for a few weekend in a row, travel to my favourite spot, stay for a day or so and back to the marina I will be laying myself open to action by CaRT. Even more so because their checking system seems far from suitable for the data they seem to want to extract from it.

Unless CaRT make it clear that those with home moorings can use the canal as described then it is easy to break the rules by doing what you have been allowed to do for years without even thinking about it.

Do CaRT not say that the "clock" gets reset when you return to your mooring? 

Current licence fee = x.

Make it step up to fee = Y but offer those with home mooring a discretionary discount.........bringing it down to x  and, more difficult......., those "not on radar" given same discretionary discount.

Light blue touchpaper. 

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Dave_P said:

No. If I gave up my mooring, I would be cruising all year around 300+ miles of waterway. No bending of any rules. 

Then I completely agree with you.

currently, your current lifestyle and cruising pattern are perfectly OK because you have a mooring.

if you gave up your mooring and cruised full time you would definitely be a CCer.

if, however, you were to give up your mooring but my maintain your current pattern of cruising for a third of the year then you would not be. CCEr for two thirds of the year.

As others have said, if you have to spend any time working out whether you meet the rules then whether or not you meet the letter of them you don't meet the intention of them or the "spirit" of them.

55 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Do CaRT not say that the "clock" gets reset when you return to your mooring? 

That's what they told me, and published in the guidelines. How they can be relied on to note you have returned is another matter, but it seems they accept your  word (per someone on here a while back)  if there is no evidence to the contrary. 

On 17/04/2017 at 18:36, Arthur Marshall said:

That's what they told me, and published in the guidelines. How they can be relied on to note you have returned is another matter, but it seems they accept your  word (per someone on here a while back)  if there is no evidence to the contrary. 

This crossed my find too. CRT data checkers don't routinely check all the boats in marinas on a weekly basis do they?

They have to accept your word unless they have contrary evidence. To do otherwise would be equivalent to accusing you of lying. 

Cruise for 1 mile and stay for 14 days, repeat every 14 days for a year. Total distance travelled 26 miles in a year and all in one direction.

Next year turn around and go back the way you came.

Make sure your place of work is in the middle of this cruising pattern and you are no more than 13 miles from work.

Of course you will need to transport water and diesil to your boat and carry cassettes away, due to the water and services etc being too far apart; and you don't want to turn around to get back to where you started from, and keep changing direction.

As far as I can tell you are not breaking any rules doing this as you are traveling on a continuous journey (all though admitiadly a very slow one) and you are travelling more than 20 miles.

seems a lot of hard work though, much easier to cruise and enjoy the network.