After you have done your 20 miles then what?

Jstupot

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Jstupot said:

Thank you Tony Brooks, the rest can go do one you are condescending and up yourselves. 

That is far from fair. Unfortunately you posed a question that has been asked in various ways probably hundreds of times on here before and answered in so far as they can be. It is also unfortunate that a certain type of boat owner (note I did not say boater) who tries every excuse they can think of so they do not have to abide by the rules have multiplied over the last few years. This multiplication has been to such an extent in certain areas that boater who try to follow the rules are in effect denied the moorings they need to access shops and facilities and even find some areas now places that they do not wish to pass through or feel safe in.

If you look at your post with that in mind I think that you would agree it has many hallmarks of trolling so it is not surprising that you got the replies you did. I would even go as far as to say that you inadvertently brought it on yourself.

If you travel a considerable distance over the months visiting lost of places, never staying put for more than 14 days in one place UNLESS signs stipulate a lesser time then you will have no need to worry. If a CaRT license checker report gives CaRT a false impression of your movements so they contact you all you need to do is explain the situation. If you have a genuine need to stay put just tell CaRT and they are normally happy with it.

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I hadnt heard it? and CART have no such authority to say such a thing they are tied as are boaters by legislation.

I understand this.

However I am fairly sure that a CRT bod has mentioned this distance.  I don't think you will find it in any of their literature though.  

1 minute ago, tomsk said:

I understand this.

However I am fairly sure that a CRT bod has mentioned this distance.  I don't think you will find it in any of their literature though.  

Ir wouldnt suprise me if someone had said it. CART are all employees and just like any job some will get above their station and make quotes they have no right to do. There is no twenty mile or any other measured length in the ccing legislation. Its not right for genuine people for silly statements to be issued and doesnt help newbies.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ir wouldnt suprise me if someone had said it. CART are all employees and just like any job some will get above their station and make quotes they have no right to do. There is no twenty mile or any other measured length in the ccing legislation. Its not right for genuine people for silly statements to be issued and doesnt help newbies.

Couldn't agree more.

9 minutes ago, tomsk said:

I'm probably misremembering this but didn't someone from CRT say relatively recently that a range of 20 miles over the course of a licence period would be the absolute minimum to 'Satisfy The Board'?  

There was something like that, but I think jt was that a range of less than that wouldn't satisfy  them, which is not the same at all. Let's be gentle with the OP, and say that a continuous cruise should be what it says, rather than a desperate attempt to stay in the same place without actually paying for a mooring. This was posted in the "new to" section , after all, rather then the "general", where it usually gets put in order  to start a row . 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There was something like that, but I think jt was that a range of less than that wouldn't satisfy  them, which is not the same at all. Let's be gentle with the OP, and say that a continuous cruise should be what it says, rather than a desperate attempt to stay in the same place without actually paying for a mooring. This was posted in the "new to" section , after all, rather then the "general", where it usually gets put in order  to start a row . 

I think that's what I said in so many words.

I think the problem arises when people and organisations take an off the cuff verbal such as that and mangle it into tacit approval of 20 miles as an acceptable distance, which it certainly should not be regarded as.  This gets bandied about by those that would like it to be true, overheard by others that would like it to be true who purchase a boat to live aboard because they have heard that it is true which is usually when they find out in fairly short order that it is nowhere near true.

jespot dont let the replys bother you .it comes with the job .dont worry the amount of boats and boaters on the cut ...pretty soon now one will be able to move any were .even those with a mooring  lol

1 hour ago, tomsk said:

I'm probably misremembering this but didn't someone from CRT say relatively recently that a range of 20 miles over the course of a licence period would be the absolute minimum to 'Satisfy The Board'?  

Yes and that is remarkably generous. Any CCer who can't manage 50 miles range in a year, never mind 20 is extracting the urine. It must take a lot of planning not to be able to achieve such a small distance.

5 hours ago, tomsk said:

There are literally hundreds of threads on this subject.

I would suggest you use the search facility before starting another.

No different to most subjects that arise on here. If everyone just used the search function and didn't start a new topic there would be no discussion about anything.

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

No different to most subjects that arise on here. If everyone just used the search function and didn't start a new topic there would be no discussion about anything.

Very true.

The 20 mile figure came from 2 separate CRT management vlue sky schemes.

The first was on the South Oxford which was a survey of non moving, slightly moving and slightly more than slightly moving boats without a home mooring a couple of years ago. The criteria for enhanced enforcement action was 20 miles. A couple of affected boaters appeared on CWDF citing action against them and they were advised to be more diligent in their movement logs. 

The other scheme was on the western K&A after the Davies case. Extra CRT bods were drafted in for logging and enforcement,  and a movement minimum was agreed with boaters (Inc NBTA). This did free up moorings in hot spots during the period of the scheme however, long term improvements were not possible as the manpower required led to issues elsewhere.

looks to me very much like a case of 'someone down the pub told me that living on a boat is an easy and cheap way of having a home of my own', then buying a boat, and only then finding that the canals are not an unregulated place where life is a freewheeling paradise.

anyone who has bothered to research the issue will have come across (more than once) the wise advice that you should secure a mooring before you commit to buying a boat.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I would stop for lunch and then do a bit more cruising in the afternoon.

:clapping:  or to put it another way - Carry on Cruising.  

The 20 mile thing was indeed published by CRT. Not for a specific area, but for all the system. 

This might not be word for word correct, but it's pretty close:

"It's unlikely that a boater covering a range of less than 15 to 20 miles during a licence period would convince the board that this is bone fide navigation"

This of course doesn't state categorically that a boater who covers a range in excess of 20 miles is 'OK', but the implication is quite strong.

At the end of the day CRT must have a standard against which they judge boat movements. If not, how would they decide who to enforce against? The legislation may be vague, but enforcement has to follow non adherence to specific things, not vague things.

There is a huge amount of irony about the issue of 20 mile range. Many people without a home mooring "manage" 20 miles in one year, sometimes moving as little as 1km every 14 days. Many people with a home mooring travel as much as 20 miles in a single day. That is very ironic.

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

There is a huge amount of irony about the issue of 20 mile range. Many people without a home mooring "manage" 20 miles in one year, sometimes moving as little as 1km every 14 days. Many people with a home mooring travel as much as 20 miles in a single day. That is very ironic.

I suspect this is because people with a home mooring (residential or not) have already seen the areas close to that mooring many times over and thus travel to other areas, my personal best was from norton side of braunston tunnel to hawkesbury in one day (somewhere around 24 miles by my reckoning)

3 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I suspect this is because people with a home mooring (residential or not) have already seen the areas close to that mooring many times over and thus travel to other areas, my personal best was from norton side of braunston tunnel to hawkesbury in one day (somewhere around 24 miles by my reckoning)

What did you do after lunch? ?☺

On 14/04/2017 at 23:57, Jess-- said:

Once of the reasons I gave up my home mooring was exactly this. A desire to see more of the system than ten miles either side of my mooring. Once you start travelling further afield a home mooring becomes pointless.

But the OP clearly needs a home mooring given their implied intention to cruise 20 miles once, then hang about in the same place for the rest of the year. 

Reading between the lines of the remarks CRT people have made about "20 miles", my guess is that they want to concentrate enforcement effort on the most static boats where CRT's case will stand up best in court if challenged. They know there are so many alleged CC'ers moving less than that distance in a year that they'll only need to go after those to keep the legal department busy. This policy is praiseworthy because it's efficient (easier to win cases) and fair (go after those who move their boats the least). It might be even better if they hadn't dropped hints about it, to keep those who only manage such a pitifully low annual range guessing!

8 hours ago, Jess-- said:

Our PB for last year was Kirkstead Bridge on the Witham to Lowestoft. Some 130 miles!

3 hours to Boston then a lunch break while waiting for the tide. Then 5 hours Boston to Lowestoft.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once of the reasons I gave up my home mooring was exactly this. A desire to see more of the system than ten miles either side of my mooring. Once you start travelling further afield a home mooring becomes pointless.

But the OP clearly needs a home mooring given their implied intention to cruise 20 miles once, then hang about in the same place for the rest of the year. 

It's not always the case that a home mooring becomes pointless. Despite having been on ours for 9 years we don't feel that having a home mooring restricts us.

But we do have a lot of local waterways to have a go at and go much further afield when we can.

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our PB for last year was Kirkstead Bridge on the Witham to Lowestoft. Some 130 miles!

3 hours to Boston then a lunch break while waiting for the tide. Then 5 hours Boston to Lowestoft.

It's not always the case that a home mooring becomes pointless. Despite having been on ours for 9 years we don't feel that having a home mooring restricts us.

But we do have a lot of local waterways to have a go at and go much further afield when we can.

Phylis, may I remind you that this forum is called Canal World?

We know you have speeding points but please don't tempt the others.

11 hours ago, Phil. said:

Yes and that is remarkably generous. Any CCer who can't manage 50 miles range in a year, never mind 20 is extracting the urine. It must take a lot of planning not to be able to achieve such a small distance.

10 hours ago, Gareth E said:

The 20 mile thing was indeed published by CRT. Not for a specific area, but for all the system. 

This might not be word for word correct, but it's pretty close:

"It's unlikely that a boater covering a range of less than 15 to 20 miles during a licence period would convince the board that this is bone fide navigation"

This of course doesn't state categorically that a boater who covers a range in excess of 20 miles is 'OK', but the implication is quite strong.

At the end of the day CRT must have a standard against which they judge boat movements. If not, how would they decide who to enforce against? The legislation may be vague, but enforcement has to follow non adherence to specific things, not vague things.

I think a lot of people here are confusing moving 20 miles IN TOTAL in a year with CC-ing over a RANGE of 20 miles repeatedly.

Any statements made by CRT about what might, or might not, "satisfy the board" result to the area over which you are doing it, not to an annual total.  I don't think just covering 20 miles in total has ever been stated as likely to keep you off the radar, and there is no suggestion that if you only cover a 20 mile range, you will be exempted from the normal requirements of moving on over every 14 days, or not going from A to B, and then immediately back to A.

CRT statements on the topic would seem to suggest that the OP continually travels over his sort of range REPEATEDLY, they may well "satisfy the board" that they are cruising "bona fide for navigation", but otherwise they quite probably will not.