Thames live aboards.

Trailerman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

So we are talking about Reading and Oxford then (as opposed to the whole of the Thames)?

Any other specific places? 

Having done the Upper Thames recently and the 'Lower' Thames not that long ago I didn't come across the bleak picture you portray, not to say things may have dramatically changed in the last year.

What worries me is how these local issues might cause the EA and CRT to roll out further restrictions on all boaters nationwide. Big towns and cities will always be popular, so there will always be more pressure trying to keep all the different type of boaters happy.

What isn't very helpful though,  is painting a bleak picture which encompasses areas where there isn't a problem.

BTW, who is Chris Pink? 

Chris Pink was/is a much respected poster on here, renown for his no-nonsense style in dealing with sloppy thinking and forum idiots generally.

When Mike has had a glass or two he sees Chris Pink everywhere.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

So we are talking about Reading and Oxford then (as opposed to the whole of the Thames)?

Any other specific places? 

Having done the Upper Thames recently and the 'Lower' Thames not that long ago I didn't come across the bleak picture you portray, not to say things may have dramatically changed in the last year.

What worries me is how these local issues might cause the EA and CRT to roll out further restrictions on all boaters nationwide. Big towns and cities will always be popular, so there will always be more pressure trying to keep all the different type of boaters happy.

What isn't very helpful though,  is painting a bleak picture which encompasses areas where there isn't a problem.

BTW, who is Chris Pink? 

Have likewise recently boated from Teddington to Oxford and had no problems mooring anywhere. If anything the river seemed much quieter than previous years, which is a real shame. Got a mooring in Oxford both on the river and above Isis lock, and we arrived late on a summer evening. I like the variety of boats on the river, I think it adds to the interest. It would be boring if the only boats were the polished shinny type imho. :huh:

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Have likewise recently boated from Teddington to Oxford and had no problems mooring anywhere. If anything the river seemed much quieter than previous years, which is a real shame. Got a mooring in Oxford both on the river and above Isis lock, and we arrived late on a summer evening. I like the variety of boats on the river, I think it adds to the interest. It would be boring if the only boats were the polished shinny type imho. :huh:

Its the variety of boats on the Trent and the big northern waterways that makes them much more interesting than the narrow system with just narrowboats on it and as you say makes the Thames all the more interesting. As for scruffy boats with scruffy people I can assure our readers that the most evil and violent of our major criminals all wear posh suits and drive fancy cars.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There are far more thieving scumbags that live in houses than live on boats.

that's because more people live in houses than on boats. Now if you had said caravans.............

14 hours ago, Trailerman said:

Basically these selfish scruffy freeloaders have ruined the easy going free life we all had on the Thames and now have had us tied us all up in knots. So if I want to stop at say Reading to refuel my boat and do a bit of shopping I am landed with a whopping fee just for an hour or so. If I want to stop at Oxford for a couple of hours (not that I ever would at those two locations now) I have to mess around with my damned laptop to tell EA that I am there.

such a victim.  I feel for you :rolleyes:  :P  :lol:.

.....................  we are the winners, because you've taken your miserable self off the Thames.  :cheers:

23 hours ago, Trailerman said:

Thank you for that erivers. Basically these selfish scruffy freeloaders have ruined the easy going free life we all had on the Thames and now have had us tied us all up in knots. So if I want to stop at say Reading to refuel my boat and do a bit of shopping I am landed with a whopping fee just for an hour or so. If I want to stop at Oxford for a couple of hours (not that I ever would at those two locations now) I have to mess around with my damned laptop to tell EA that I am there.

No problem for me anymore, where my boat is now we have none of these problems and I am back to free and easy boating.  

Reading is not EA mooring.

On 13/04/2017 at 23:08, erivers said:

Whatever the EA (or any other outfit that they farm out their work to without any proper contract) want you to believe, there can be no charge for mooring at NIGHT at any EA-provided site.

Section 136 of the Thames Conservancy Act states: " The Conservators may from time to time demand and receive in respect of vessels using any of the moorings in the Thames belonging to the Conservators the charges appointed by byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force save that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

The provision in that section that charges must be appointed by byelaws was amended by Section 23 of the Thames Conservancy Act 1972 but the provision that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night ....  remains in force.

Perhaps someone should tell the lockie at Cookham lock. We were charge £8 for an overnight mooring in the weir stream.

Steve

2 hours ago, Just Heaven said:

Perhaps someone should tell the lockie at Cookham lock. We were charge £8 for an overnight mooring in the weir stream.

Steve

A clear case of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006, for which not only the lock-keeper may be held liable but also his masters at the Environment Agency.

It may also be an offence under the Act not to have made available the information that no charge can be made for overnight mooring at any mooring owned by the EA.

Edited by erivers

On 4/15/2017 at 09:58, tomsk said:

Chris Pink was/is a much respected poster on here, renown for his no-nonsense style in dealing with sloppy thinking and forum idiots generally.

When Mike has had a glass or two he sees Chris Pink everywhere.

Makes a change from pink elephants ...

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Just Heaven said:

Steve

I am thought the moorings around the lock islands had always been chargeable. My understanding is that it is the properly signed TC/EA temporary moorings that are not.

I think the lock island moorings are more like permanent moorings that may be let short term if not in use. It may also depend upon which weir stream at Cookham because the locky may have been acting for the riparian owner.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am thought the moorings around the lock islands had always been chargeable. My understanding is that it is the properly signed TC/EA temporary moorings that are not.

I think the lock island moorings are more like permanent moorings that may be let short term if not in use. It may also depend upon which weir stream at Cookham because the locky may have been acting for the riparian owner.

+1,thats how it has always been

CT

If the mooring belongs to the EA then the legislation is clear - " no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

It may be necessary to distinguish between "overnight" - (perhaps from tea-time to breakfast time?)  and "at night" - (usually considered as sunset to sunrise). 

But then is an hour or two either side of the period of "night" not a reasonable time?

There's a charge for the end of landing mooring above Clifton Lock, there are also 2 (1 above & 1 below) Goring Lock for which a fee is payable. The one above Abingdon is 24 hours free (I think?)

9 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Yes it is free for the first 24hrs, but there is a fee payable for the one on the lock island.

Most of the towpath & park Abington moorings below the lock seem to be owned by the council and are free for 5 days. We were quite impressed. 

There was a rumour that the council were going to reduce this to 3 days, even if true it's still pretty good, shame more councils along the river don't adopt this sort of policy.

4 minutes ago, Tim said:

There was a rumour that the council were going to reduce this to 3 days, even if true it's still pretty good, shame more councils along the river don't adopt this sort of policy.

Indeed! I'd literally not finished tying the ropes up before the mooring warden at Windsor relived me of £8!