Thames live aboards.

Trailerman

Featured Posts

Thanks all you live aboards bunging up all the decent moorings on the Thames. You have now ruined my favourite river. I can't moor anywhere to do a bit of shopping, refuel my petrol powered boat  or if I can, leave the boat for an odd pint  without worrying if it or my possessions will still be there when I get back.

My boat will no longer be on the Thames therefore the EA will no longer get my licence fee.

Perhaps if you lot got a job, paid your licence fees and tidied up your scruffy disgraceful eyesores things would be better.

In saying all this, and I make no apology for saying it, thank you to all the wonderful lock keepers and staff who have looked after me over many years. 

Just now, Trailerman said:

Thanks all you live aboards bunging up all the decent moorings on the Thames. You have now ruined my favourite river. I can't moor anywhere to do a bit of shopping, refuel my petrol powered boat  or if I can, leave the boat for an odd pint  without worrying if it or my possessions will still be there when I get back.

My boat will no longer be on the Thames therefore the EA will no longer get my licence fee.

Perhaps if you lot got a job, paid your licence fees and tidied up your scruffy disgraceful eyesores things would be better.

In saying all this, and I make no apology for saying it, thank you to all the wonderful lock keepers and staff who have looked after me over many years. 

Having Boated on the Thames for more than half a Century I do understand what you are saying,it has become a problem in the last few Years

I did all the non tidal Thames twice last year the only place I had a problem getting moored was the Tesco moorings at Reading which have been a problem for a few years now. Why EA or local council haven't the will or maybe the powers to sort them out is annoying.

I have just done Pyrford (River Wey) to Lechlade and return, finishing last Friday. I agree that Reading Tesco is still bad, and there are indeed a few spots where I wouldn't moor e.g. between Tilehurst and Mapledurham.

But other than that I didn't have any problems. I moored at Kennetmouth and in Reading behind Fry's Island with no problems at all. It's still a great river, and I am on it right now moored above Penton Hook.

So sorry you feel that way. I have never found any trouble mooring on the Thames and my boat is 60ft long. Sometimes in the summer you might not always get were you would like to, but then I suspect that applies to most rivers and canals.

I also am very unlikely to visit the Thames again but might use it for a dash to or from the K&A or Wey.  Many of the "free" mooring spots are taken up with what look like long term moorers, some that were free now have no mooring signs probably because of long term moorers and to cap it all it now seems to be mandatory to poses a mobile phone to register to use the EA free 24 hour moorings. I am not even sure of the legality of the latest EA demands in that respect. paying for moorings on the Thames at a minimum of £5 a night in most places (Abingdon the exception) makes a trip on the Thames expensive.

Having just come off the thames I do get what the OP is saying.....but I also think the new visitor mooring system mainly works....I found the website easy to use on a mobile and it was handy knowing where I might find a mooring as it was my first time on the thames.....I only paid for a mooring in Windsor which I knew was going to be the case...everywhere else was free which was a pleasant surprise....the one free mooring in Henley was available but was badly silted up so Henley missed my spend in the town. I agree Abingdon is great for a mooring....and hence we spent in the local shops. 

I do think something needs to be done with the various continuous moorers before it gets any worse.....having overhead some conversations they are just seeing how far they can push it which is to the detriment of other river users.

On 13/04/2017 at 21:11, Trailerman said:

Not sure why you're posting this on CanalWorld. Isn't there a Thames forum for you to troll on?

I'm sure the Thames will be a nicer place without you and your silly prejudices designed to offend.

• Greenie 2

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not sure why you're posting this on CanalWorld. Isn't there a Thames forum for you to troll on?

I'm sure the Thames will be a nicer place without you and your silly prejudices designed to offend.

The first point may be true, but you were happy to contribute at length about the use of of anchors on the Thames instead of raising the point about a Thames forum.

Howard

• Greenie 1

Just now, howardang said:

The first point may be true, but you were happy to contribute at length about the use of of anchors on the Thames instead of raising the point about a Thames forum.

Howard

Don't spoil things by raising 'facts', just remember that whatever the subject MtB will always be on the 'opposite side' to the subject under discussion, (it comes back to being chairman of the school debating society, where he was not allowed to have his own thoughts, just to debate against the thoughts of any one else)

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I also am very unlikely to visit the Thames again but might use it for a dash to or from the K&A or Wey.  Many of the "free" mooring spots are taken up with what look like long term moorers, some that were free now have no mooring signs probably because of long term moorers and to cap it all it now seems to be mandatory to poses a mobile phone to register to use the EA free 24 hour moorings. I am not even sure of the legality of the latest EA demands in that respect. paying for moorings on the Thames at a minimum of £5 a night in most places (Abingdon the exception) makes a trip on the Thames expensive.

Whatever the EA (or any other outfit that they farm out their work to without any proper contract) want you to believe, there can be no charge for mooring at NIGHT at any EA-provided site.

Section 136 of the Thames Conservancy Act states: " The Conservators may from time to time demand and receive in respect of vessels using any of the moorings in the Thames belonging to the Conservators the charges appointed by byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force save that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

The provision in that section that charges must be appointed by byelaws was amended by Section 23 of the Thames Conservancy Act 1972 but the provision that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night ....  remains in force.

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't spoil things by raising 'facts', just remember that whatever the subject MtB will always be on the 'opposite side' to the subject under discussion, (it comes back to being chairman of the school debating society, where he was not allowed to have his own thoughts, just to debate against the thoughts of any one else)

Truth is, me living on a scruffy disgraceful eyesore and having no job (I haven't worked since 1978), was a bit near the knuckle. 

I generally licence my boats though, as and when I can scratch together a bit of cash. For which I find CRT generally pretty grateful. 

P.S. I'd be interested if the OP could post a photo of his own boat please (so we can criticise it too).

The tesco moorings are free and easy, they have even put old grp boats along there as fenders, so you just squash into them , tie to a tree either end, shop and move on. You can take your trolley right to the boat fantastic.

22 hours ago, erivers said:

Whatever the EA (or any other outfit that they farm out their work to without any proper contract) want you to believe, there can be no charge for mooring at NIGHT at any EA-provided site.

Section 136 of the Thames Conservancy Act states: " The Conservators may from time to time demand and receive in respect of vessels using any of the moorings in the Thames belonging to the Conservators the charges appointed by byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force save that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

The provision in that section that charges must be appointed by byelaws was amended by Section 23 of the Thames Conservancy Act 1972 but the provision that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night ....  remains in force.

I'd imagine "at night" is well defined but what IS the definition, please? Whenever it is dark, perhaps?

But "when not at work" is curious. It sort of implies this only applies to boats which 'work' during the day. I.e. not pleasure boats.

22 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

Indeed. Nobody in that thread was setting out to criticise disgraceful liveaboard boaters in that thread though. 

You, presumably then, support everything said in the OP.

Indeed. Nobody in that thread was setting out to criticise disgraceful liveaboard boaters in that thread though. 

You, presumably then, support everything said in the OP.

Not having cruised the Thames for a number of years I wouldn't express a view one way or another so you presume wrong.

Howard

So why are you criticising me for challenging the OP?

I am not criticising you, I was merely wondering why you didn't suggest that the recent Thames anchor discussion should be redirected to a Thames Forum in the same way as your response did about this latest post

Howard

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

Is it just me or is CWDF in a time warp? 

11 hours ago Rusty 69 replied to a post made by MtB 9 hours ago.

perhaps some nerdy geek can explain how we can get in on the time machine act.

I wondered where that went. I couldn't see the reply so typed it again. Then gave up as it still hadn't appeared. 

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Is it just me or is CWDF in a time warp? 

11 hours ago Rusty 69 replied to a post made by MtB 9 hours ago.

perhaps some nerdy geek can explain how we can get in on the time machine act.

I have noticed in other threads that posts are appearing hours after I last read it, but are appearing in the middle of posts that I have read - its almost  if they are 'held pending approval' and then 'released'.