Installing push pull rod gear linkage for mid boat mechanical gearbox

Colin Brendan

Featured Posts

Impossible to say, but the first obvious question is "what gearbox?", as the amount of travel needed to go from ahead tgo astern is highly relevant.

If it is something like a Lister Blackstone box then  it is just about possible to get away with extending the activating rod up to roof height, then using a simple "push/pull" to work it.  However this will result in massive travel at the handle end.  We had such an arrangement on one of our boat until recently changed, and in "ahead" you could barely reach the handle which went way forward of the hatch, whereas "reverse" the handle came close to sticking out the back doors.  Not ideal at all, though many use such a variant.

We have had a much more elegant solution custom built, and it is massively better.

I don't have detailed costings, because it was all rolled in with other work, but think I was given a rough guide of some £400, but may well have paid more than that in the end.

Some detail, and pictures of old and new can be found here.

Also depends on where you are.  At Inner London prices you might need another zero on Alan's guess!

Probably best to find a friendly fitter/fabricator and discuss your wants with them. Martin at Kedian has a good name on here but I am not sure if this sort of thing is up his cut.

N

1 hour ago, BWM said:

To reduce the amount of travel, you would need to include a pair of bevel gears at the engine room end of the control rod, incorporated into a solidly mounted bracket.

It can effectively be achieved with just carefully thought out levers.  Not that easy to describe, or photograph, but what is refereed to in our block post above manages to have a rotating vrtical rod, but no gears.  It works well, and the travel is only, I guess about 6" to go into ahead, and the same to go into reverse.  I'm very happy to show it to anybody who is somewhere Flamingo is.

Top part, which comverts push pull into totary motion of vertical roof to floor rod

Gear+Rodding+Changed+2.JPG

Bottom part translates rotation of vertical rod back to gearbox push/pull.

Gear+Rodding+Changed+1.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

On 12 April 2017 at 23:38, alan_fincher said:

Impossible to say, but the first obvious question is "what gearbox?", as the amount of travel needed to go from ahead tgo astern is highly relevant.

If it is something like a Lister Blackstone box then  it is just about possible to get away with extending the activating rod up to roof height, then using a simple "push/pull" to work it.  However this will result in massive travel at the handle end.  We had such an arrangement on one of our boat until recently changed, and in "ahead" you could barely reach the handle which went way forward of the hatch, whereas "reverse" the handle came close to sticking out the back doors.  Not ideal at all, though many use such a variant.

We have had a much more elegant solution custom built, and it is massively better.

I don't have detailed costings, because it was all rolled in with other work, but think I was given a rough guide of some £400, but may well have paid more than that in the end.

Some detail, and pictures of old and new can be found here.

I'm interested to know what sort of effort you need to operate the mechanism - it seems to be operating quite short levers. 

Edited by starman
Duplicated quotes

With my linkage (gear change) I can shove the traditional lever forward and it engages on it's own momentum = very liittle effort or travel. One fixed linkage and the rest converted with a generic cable (to save complications of multi-linkages) like below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14FT-Universal-33C-Marine-Throttle-Control-Cable-for-Boat-Outboard-Control-Lever-/132120664784

Edited by mark99

With squire dad had a joint put in a bit like above with the bevel gears but was just a rod rather than gears reduced the travel massivly and didnt take up extra room.

Its abit like the end of a beam engine head for the up and down movement ill take a photo of it later its very simple very neet and works very well. Brinklow did the job i beleive

• Greenie 1