Brass tap on manifold of JP2

pipistrelle

Featured Posts

The brass tap on top of the manifold on my JP2 seized up, and in the process of attempting to fix it, it ended up in the river. We popped the cork from a whisky bottle in, which keeps the water inside the engine, but I'm wondering where I can get a replacement tap from? Is it safe to use without the tap? Is the tap just for use when draining the engine down? If so, we have plenty of whisky corks, or can easily drink more whisky.

The threaded part left in the manifold should be a stanadrd size like 1/4" BSP which would have an o/d of 13.1 mm.

Can you measure it and post a photo of it ?

In the short term a cork will be OK - just keep an eye on it.  The pressure should be low.

Edited by jake_crew
  • Greenie 1

The brass tap is to allow air out of the water system, and needs to be used when the engine is started.  The tap works in the same way as the radiator bleed valve on a central heating system, when you start your engine, open the tap until water jets out and then close it again. You can obtain a new one from stationary engine parts for around twenty quid.

Edited by BWM