Water tank leak on 40ft springer

Tomcatronnie

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help! We've been living on our cruiser springer narrow boat for two years and we've noticed the bow water tank is leaking probably through the pump. We only realised that when the stern door area flooded. The water it seems had run the length of the boat to the lowest point. We have no inspection holes and no plans for the boat. Does anyone have plans for springer hulls because we dont really know where and potentially how much water is just sitting in our hull and obv that is quite worrying. We drilled a hole right by the stern door to get a hand pump in but the water seems to keep coming even after we drain it. A boat two doors down from us just sank so it has focussed us on sorting this problem!!! Thanks so much people! Nic & Roo on Tomcat, River Trent. 

If you are sure its the tank that is leaking, make sure it's empty, unless you can fix the leak, then continue pumping from the stern until all water has gone. It may take some days to clear.

If you have access to an electric pump and power it will obviously speed up the process. 

If it continues, you may have other issues 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Tomcatronnie said:

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help! We've been living on our cruiser springer narrow boat for two years and we've noticed the bow water tank is leaking probably through the pump. We only realised that when the stern door area flooded. The water it seems had run the length of the boat to the lowest point. We have no inspection holes and no plans for the boat. Does anyone have plans for springer hulls because we dont really know where and potentially how much water is just sitting in our hull and obv that is quite worrying. We drilled a hole right by the stern door to get a hand pump in but the water seems to keep coming even after we drain it. A boat two doors down from us just sank so it has focussed us on sorting this problem!!! Thanks so much people! Nic & Roo on Tomcat, River Trent. 

You need to find and stop the leak, obviously. The water will drain to the rear through limber holes in the cross beams which are there for the purpose, and to be pumped out at the stern as you are doing. After stopping the leak water will still trickle through for a while.

That's great thanks. Ive just screwed out a floor panel in the middle of the boat. Because its a springer we have a V hull and the limber holes seem to be on the highest points (sides) so presumably if any water comes towards the stern then the ones closer to the bow must be absolutely full? Also there seems to be two separate left and right parts that have different water levels. Do you know what is the relationship between those two seemlingly different resevoirs because right at the very front of the boat where the tank is and where i think there is the leak, it is just one area covering the width of the boat. Sorry for probably basic questions ive just never got stuck in on hull stuff before and i havent got any plans for my springer :( thanks a lot

I know the Waterbug we had did not allow water in the cabin bilge to flow freely, I had a slight leak in the bow once and it collected behind a forward bulkhead rather then heading astern which would be the case on most boats. 

I would head for the Springer Boats Group on Facebook - there's a lot more expertise on there I'm sure someone will know what's going on with your boat. 

I had a similar thing two weeks ago. I hadn't been to the boat for a week but when I did it was flooded at the stern end. I initially thought it was the tank but a friend said that as the pump was still trying to run it meant that the tank was ok and there was a leak after the pump. My tank is right at the front the water pipes go from it towards the stern halfway along the length of my boat is my pump, so I started checking from there and sure enough I found a very small jet of water coming from the calorifier. I replaced this and now the pump does not run unless I turn on a tap and there are no leaks .........................................................