Wallas Diesel Hob and Oven

Featured Posts

I was looking at a boats spec today and noticed it had Wallas diesel cooking equipment fitted. Just thinking if any of you have used diesel for cooking, and what do you think about cooking with one. You would never need to carry another gas bottle back to the boat. And yes you will need to sit down when you find out the price.

https://www.kuranda.co.uk/wallas-hobs-and-heaters/wallas-diesel-hobs/87d-diesel-hob-and-oven-kmw87d-wallas

18 minutes ago, I Spartacus said:

I was looking at a boats spec today and noticed it had Wallas diesel cooking equipment fitted. Just thinking if any of you have used diesel for cooking, and what do you think about cooking with one. You would never need to carry another gas bottle back to the boat. And yes you will need to sit down when you find out the price.

https://www.kuranda.co.uk/wallas-hobs-and-heaters/wallas-diesel-hobs/87d-diesel-hob-and-oven-kmw87d-wallas

I'm also looking at these devices, but I'm no cook.  There has been some reviews from owners on CWDF if you do a search.  From memory the Hob is more "Aga" type having just one heat control with one side being hot than the other.  Slow to react and warm up (around 10mins).

There are other diesel cookers around like Dickinson's and Heritage.  However these are more like Rayburn/Aga's and designed to be left on.

Edited by Robbo

To be totally honest it is expensive, but if you were looking at being a gas free boat you only have one choice for cooking and that is electric. You would then need a genset to power your oven, The time you work out the cost for this it could work out the same cost at the end of the day and be more efficient that running a genset for your electric cooker.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have one, I don't cook but my beloved does I just eat it. The top wont get as hot as a gas ring and the cooker loses heat when you load it, so both have to be allowed for. It also heats our boat and keeps the water hot.

Thanks for the information. out of interest how does it heat the water ? and how does the beloved  get on with it after allowing for the heat losses, does it cook good food. 

1 minute ago, I Spartacus said:

Thanks for the information. out of interest how does it heat the water ? and how does the beloved  get on with it after allowing for the heat losses, does it cook good food. 

The wallas cooker/hob doesn't heat the water.  The hob has a additional extra for a fan cover thing that blows air over the hob into the room.

Edited by Robbo

3 minutes ago, I Spartacus said:

Sorry I should have pointed out I have the Dickinson that was mentioned with the Arga in the thread.

I had a Dickenson it was crap.  The reason 99.9 percent of boats have gas cookers/appliances is the fact that they work better than diesel are as safe as houses and cheaper to purchase. 

44 minutes ago, I Spartacus said:

Are you planning on getting a genset to run your combi microwave oven, it will use lots of amps, they all need to be replaced.

I have a built in Diesel genny already.  I'm currently fitting out and have a large Combi microwave that's of decent size, but unfortunately can't be built in :(.   I need to run the genny when using the oven but not if I just use the microwave as it only uses around 20-25ah's per cooking session.   As I need to run the genny daily (ideally) anyhow to charge the batteries it's done at the same time I use the oven.  I wouldn't be going down this decent Combi route if I didn't have the built in genny tho as I can't see it working without one.

Adding, my Combi microwave is a flat bed type, totally recommend over turntable, much easier to clean and can use the whole oven so makes it larger than the equiv turntable type.

Edited by Robbo

55 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I have a built in Diesel genny already.  I'm currently fitting out and have a large Combi microwave that's of decent size, but unfortunately can't be built in :(.   I need to run the genny when using the oven but not if I just use the microwave as it only uses around 20-25ah's per cooking session.   As I need to run the genny daily (ideally) anyhow to charge the batteries it's done at the same time I use the oven.  I wouldn't be going down this decent Combi route if I didn't have the built in genny tho as I can't see it working without one.

Adding, my Combi microwave is a flat bed type, totally recommend over turntable, much easier to clean and can use the whole oven so makes it larger than the equiv turntable type.

Sounds like a good plan. I would always like a back up, mind you that oven does look small , I am not planning at cooking for vast numbers. but I do like baking but it is the cost at the end of the day. I suppose you would save the space of the gas locker.

18 minutes ago, I Spartacus said:

Sounds like a good plan. I would always like a back up, mind you that oven does look small , I am not planning at cooking for vast numbers. but I do like baking but it is the cost at the end of the day. I suppose you would save the space of the gas locker.

For me it will be for space saving space in the kitchen, I will never use two ovens, but do use a microwave and a occasional a conventional oven.  Just getting a combined one seems to make sense.

My boat does have a gas locker, and if I was building a boat I would still build a gas locker even if I was never planning to use it. 

Edited by Robbo

I have a Perkins Midi Mate Cooker,circa 1976.It is a vaporising type of burner,made of Stainless throughout,has 3 hob plates 1 oven and it heats water via a colorifier,that came with a pressure vessel test cert.I have had it running in my workshop,2 rads it runs Toasty.Never seen another one,it came out of a fishing boatIts about 2ft deep 3ft long . I was hoping to use it in my next project,but I dont think I will ever get the time,Iam now 74 yrs old and got more projects than I will ever get round to! The Wife keeps finding  me things to do!