Cabin Crusier interior

James Stone

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

Am starting to work on my 25ft cabin cruiser interior in few weeks and am looking for ideas. I tried and failed last year with a refit of trying to board out the hull then using vinyl to cover the boards. The ceiling was even worse boarded it over then added vinyl over. It never got the finish i wanted  any imperfections shown thru ribbed effect.

I seen plastic sheets that you use in bathrooms , any good for cladding ceilings? 

Any of you guys refitted a cabin cruiser and have any ideas on material. Only material we want to stay away from is carpet/mat with a dog it will be a dust and hair magnet.

We looking for some kinda of waterproof wipe clean material

Cheers !!

Edited by James Stone

Hi there.

I am just in the process of fitting out a cabin cruiser. I have near insulated it and lined it with ply. I will be using a carpet type covering for the hull sides and cabin top but for the galley i will be using Formic sheets which can be glued on with contact adhesive .

Head swill be the PVC cladding, i cant see why you cant try that to do certain cabin areas. You best to get the stringer type, with more cavities to get the better strength as if hit hard it can crack. 

There are loads of shades/colours in Formica to choose from and it cuts real easy.Also cheap.

I have gone with carpet for most of the boat as it is better at reducing condensation. 

Wolly :)

56 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have you tried the foam backed vinyl?

http://www.toomerandhayter.co.uk/products/?cat=2

We have the magnolia one in ours and it looks spot on. 

Should hide any imperfections a bit better with the foam backing.

exactly, or make up your own by sticking some thicker foam of your choice with spray carpet adhesive, followed by faux leather vinyl headlining material.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

exactly, or make up your own by sticking some thicker foam of your choice with spray carpet adhesive, followed by faux leather vinyl headlining material.

If I did that then at some point I would be wearing the headlining with some of it stuck to my hair, some to my leg, and the rest stuck to the cabin side...

On 3/29/2017 at 11:06, James Stone said:

Sounds good that Wolly.

As per your comment originally, pictures posted would be great. I can then rob all your good ideas. :-)

Question to yourself from me.

Why did you get ripples. In the past on carpet i rolled it on with a hard 4 inch roller i made from a broom handle and stuck it on a mini paint roller. Great to smooth out flat surfaces. convex etc can be a pain can be a pain. 

Did i say i have pics, sorry i forgot. 

There are plenty of pics in my build thread ;)

On 3/29/2017 at 14:00, WotEver said:

If I did that then at some point I would be wearing the headlining with some of it stuck to my hair, some to my leg, and the rest stuck to the cabin side...

Made me laugh that, when i was insulating the boat with expanding foam i didnt notice i had  a blob on my head until i went in and T said `whats that on your head` and yes it had set. I have little hair as it is and that night i had to scalp the rest once i washed my head in acetone  lol.

2 minutes ago, W+T said:

Made me laugh that, when i was insulating the boat with expanding foam i didnt notice i had  a blob on my head until i went in and T said `whats that on your head` and yes it had set. I have little hair as it is and that night i had to scalp the rest once i washed my head in acetone  lol.

I did similar with coarse glass fibre mat & resin when I was 'repairing' a mate's chassis to get it through the MOT (well, it was the 70's!). I had shoulder length hair and tried to put a comb through it... the comb got stuck too!

• Greenie 1

e by eck th good owd days when it was easy to fettle a car for the MOT . 

Thing is folk still do it now, well n the last few years. Times i have had to repair folks cars with more news paper and filler that i care to mention.

Some good things come from the EU i guess then lol.

my headlining is a series of plywood panels, each spanning the full width, screwed onto the underlying battens through the vinyl with cup washers; that way I can still access the wiring when I need to and I can fit the foam and vinyl in the workshop in a clean environment.

46 minutes ago, W+T said:

e by eck th good owd days when it was easy to fettle a car for the MOT . 

Thing is folk still do it now, well n the last few years. Times i have had to repair folks cars with more news paper and filler that i care to mention.

I bought an Anglia for £75 and when I started to do work on it I discovered that more than 50% of the A pillars were newspaper with a gaffer tape covering and copious amounts of underseal. 

A mate got his 1100 through the MOT by filling the cills with concrete. They were certainly solid. 

My grandad, a retired mechanic, used to phone his MOT through from the comfort of his living room. 

Perhaps things are a bit better now lol