Google & google chrome

Go to solution Solved by Robbo,

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

I find Google Chrome one of the quickest and best browsers ( it's also one of the most secure ) It does like to eat memory tho if you like leaving tabs open, but this is due to each tab been in its own sandbox.

Won't the sand damage the working of the computer? :o

On 23/03/2017 at 09:11, swift1894 said:

So what's the difference between a search engine and an internet browser???

I see this confusion cropping up again and again these days.

A browser is the program that runs on your PC to display web pages. Examples are Mosiac, Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Chrome. You can choose which program you prefer. 

Google is a search engine. Search engines trawl the web continuously, 'reading' the content of the web pages and following the links to find more web pages, in order to create a searchable library of the contents of the whole web. When you 'google' something (using your browser to access the Google search engine user interface) you are querying the Google search engine and it returns you a list of the results it thinks are most suitable.

Other search engines exist. Bing and Alta Vista are the only ones left that spring to mind. A google search would turn up more no doubt!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see this confusion cropping up again and again these days.

A browser is the program that runs on your PC to display web pages. Examples are Mosiac, Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Chrome. You can choose which program you prefer. 

Google is a search engine. Search engines trawl the web continuously, 'reading' the content of the web pages and following the links to find more web pages, in order to create a searchable library of the contents of the whole web. When you 'google' something (using your browser to access the Google search engine user interface) you are querying the Google search engine and it returns you a list of the results it thinks are most suitable.

Other search engines exist. Bing and Alta Vista are the only ones left that spring to mind. A google search would turn up more no doubt!

:o:wacko::blink::rolleyes:

On 23/03/2017 at 09:38, Machpoint005 said:

If you don't want an accurate and comprehensive answer, why bother asking in the first place?

Yes the response did seem a little graceless didn't it? But these things are easily misinterpreted. Or maybe those emoticons are what came out on his screen when Mr Swift typed the words "thank you". 

:lol:

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes the response did seem a little graceless didn't it? But these things are easily misinterpreted. Or maybe those emoticons are what came out on his screen when Mr Swift typed the words "thank you". 

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If you don't want an accurate and comprehensive answer, why bother asking in the first place?

It was meant as an amusing reaction meaning "Whew .....that's out of my depth!" 

The same reaction I have when Jeremy Paxman asks one of the long winded scientific/mathematical questions on University Challenge :D

A simple 'thanks' always works better.  If a post can be interpreted two ways, people will interpret it in the way you didn't intend.  This is why I always add a smile, to show that I am being light hearted :) 

Edited by mross

26 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

It was meant as an amusing reaction meaning "Whew .....that's out of my depth!" 

If you want a simple answer:

A browser is a user interface between you and the internet.

A search engine is a web site on the internet, just like the one you're currently reading.

On 23/03/2017 at 10:59, Machpoint005 said:

Is there another Tinternet he could be reading?

:o

There also seems to be a thing called "the dark web". Only ever spoken about by David Cameron and BBC presenters. 

Never figured out quite what it is.

42 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Yes, there is Internet2.  There is also the TOR network but that's on top of the Internet.

I beg to differ. Neither Internet2 nor TOR is a different Tinternet, they are enhancements or 'communities' on the one we all have.

Web 2.0 is not separate either (according to Tim Berners-Lee), just fancy jargon for additional interactive content.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There also seems to be a thing called "the dark web". Only ever spoken about by David Cameron and BBC presenters. 

Never figured out quite what it is.

Neither have they?

The dark web is the World Wide Web content that exists on darknets, overlay networks which use the public Internet but require specific software, configurations or authorisation to access.

Edited by Machpoint005
to tidy it up

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I beg to differ. Neither Internet2 nor TOR is a different Tinternet, they are enhancements or 'communities' on the one we all have.

Web 2.0 is not separate either (according to Tim Berners-Lee), just fancy jargon for additional interactive content.

Neither have they?

The dark web is the World Wide Web content that exists on darknets, overlay networks which use the public Internet but require specific software, configurations or authorisation to access.

Internet2 is different from the Internet, mostly Academics on it.  It's separate from our Internet.  There are others mainly older ones like JANet (U.K. Academic network)

WWW and Web2.0 and so on run on top of Internet like TOR does.

Edited by Robbo

29 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Internet2 is different from the Internet, mostly Academics on it.  It's separate from our Internet.  There are others mainly older ones like JANet (U.K. Academic network)

WWW and Web2.0 and so on run on top of Internet like TOR does.

From the internet2.edu web site:

"Internet2 is a not-for-profit organization governed by an executive Board of Trustees representing our diverse membership. Program Advisory Groups, also made up of community leaders, offer critical feedback and help set our direction."

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

From the internet2.edu web site:

"Internet2 is a not-for-profit organization governed by an executive Board of Trustees representing our diverse membership. Program Advisory Groups, also made up of community leaders, offer critical feedback and help set our direction."

Wikipedia gives more info on the infrastructure.  Basically just a high bandwidth research Internet.

Edited by Robbo