Google maps. Date of photo?

swift1894

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

I can't see where the date is.

On Google earth as opposed to maps it is bottom right.   Actually nearer the centre but the little "dialogue box ends at he right hand bottom corner.

For my area it is 30/5/2009

EDIT: to add the image is the same on google maps and google earth so presumably the same day.

Edited by Jerra

8 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

How do I do that please?

View Menu -> Historical Imagery to enable if not already  -  Slider at top left.

You may also want to remove the 3D buildings, thats in the layers side bar on left.

Edited by Robbo

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

On Google earth as opposed to maps it is bottom right.   Actually nearer the centre but the little "dialogue box ends at he right hand bottom corner.

For my area it is 30/5/2009

Not on my iPad air2.

maybe something else iPads cant do?

Just now, swift1894 said:

Not on my iPad air2.

maybe something else iPads cant do?

I don't use mobile devices so I can't comment on that.  However at risk of seeming as if I am treating you a little patronisingly (which isn't my intention) that is on a downloaded program "Google Earth" and not on Google Maps isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I don't use mobile devices so I can't comment on that.  However at risk of seeming as if I am treating you a little patronisingly (which isn't my intention) that is on a downloaded program "Google Earth" and not on Google Maps isn't it?

Yes I've got both and neither show the date of the satellite photo. 

Google Earth just says "2016 Google" at the middle bottom of the picture and Google Maps says "2017 Google" at left bottom. No exact date.

1 minute ago, swift1894 said:

Yes I've got both and neither show the date of the satellite photo. 

Google Earth just says "2016 Google" at the middle bottom of the picture and Google Maps says "2017 Google" at left bottom. No exact date.

Strange.  It must be one of the penalties of using mobile devices.  Sorry I can't help.

2 hours ago, mross said:

If you zoom until it goes to Streetview the image capture month and year is shown, bottom right.  The aerial shots are mostly composites and would have lots of dates.

Yes, the satellite view of my house on Google maps shows the boat moored at the end of the garden,  so post mid-June 2014. The Streetview image shows the previous occupants car in the drive,  so pre- February 2014.

If I look for Aylesbury Canal Society's Circus Field Basin, both Google Maps and Google Earth show a green field, even though the basin opened in 2013. Google Maps says "Imagery Copyright 2017", so clearly not the actual date the image was taken. The same view on Google Earth says "Imagery Date 1/1/2006" in the footer, which I can believe.

11 hours ago, swift1894 said:

How do I do that please?

In Google Earth (Not Google Maps) go to View- Historical Imagery. A slider will appear in the top left corner which can be used to show older photos. For London it shows images for 1945! The date of the newest and old images will also be shown.

Tim