gallery images

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, RichM said:

Tried doing that - looks fine to me. Though I appreciate we all have different perspectives and I guess this is largely a subjective matter. I would still appreciate any screenshots showing what people are not happy with.

we cant post pics on the forum for some reason :( or in PMs for that matter

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

On my phone I get something like this at the bottom of my VNC view.

I can't see the point in receiving narrow slices of the original photos, or of incurring the mobile cost and sometimes download delay of loading photos I don't need.

Making the gallery a user choice would be good move IMO. 

And here is the screenshot I couldn't post yesterday.

Capture.png

On my phone the images appear after my VNC stream on the tablet at the side, both a complete waste of bandwith for me. 

Get rid of them from all but the front page then I wont have to suffer other peoples pictures as I never visit the front page.

23 hours ago, haggis said:

I find the images annoying on my phone. As well as using up my data allowance they are too small to be seen properly 

I have never looked at them and certainly wouldn't miss them if they are not there 

Haggis 

i doubt they will be removed whether we like them there or not :(

Why not have a vote if the admin team are still reluctant to remove this annoying intrusion.  No gallery,  gallery with user option to not display it or gallery as it is now.

I think it is obvious what my vote would be!

I still cannot see any benefit in having it hogging screen space and bandwidth.  What is its purpose?  Most of the pictures are irrelevant without context and can only be seen distorted anyway.  If someone really thinks their photos are so good that everyone should see them they can put them in a post.  Then people can ignore them if they want to.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, dor said:

Why not have a vote if the admin team are still reluctant to remove this annoying intrusion.  No gallery,  gallery with user option to not display it or gallery as it is now.

I think it is obvious what my vote would be!

I still cannot see any benefit in having it hogging screen space and bandwidth.  What is its purpose?  Most of the pictures are irrelevant without context and can only be seen distorted anyway.  If someone really thinks their photos are so good that everyone should see them they can put them in a post.  Then people can ignore them if they want to.

Or they could put them on a piccy forum. We could call it " Flickr " or someting like that.

On 3/20/2017 at 22:33, GoodGurl said:

why are the galley pictures now down the right hand side of the main forum? can i remove then as it makes the screen small, anyone else have this?

On a smaller screen, the side bars should all jump down to the bottom. 

This is the main reason why at present we have gone with the side bar rather than the original top bar, which remained fixed at the top in all modes.

On 3/21/2017 at 11:04, Keeping Up said:

I definitely don't like seeing them on the View New Content page when on my phone or tablet (contrary to John6767's post above, I do get them on my phone) not least because they waste a lot of my meagre mobile data allowance. Strangely enough I don't mind them too much on the PC, but then for that i have unlimited data and a large screen, but i don't actually welcome them I just ignore them.

Fair enough. Data allowance is also an relevant point, likely not an issue for land based connections or those just using a phone while out and about, but probably does add up if you use a mobile connection and your sole internet supply.

On 3/21/2017 at 04:03, Ange said:

I actually quite like it. I don't normally see the gallery, viewing new posts being my default - when the images first appeared I thought great i like this.

Proof that you cant please all the people all of the time!

On 3/20/2017 at 23:10, dor said:

I don't see the need for gallery images to be part of the forum main page.  They are a distraction and take up a lot of space, and presumably data download capacity.  It wouldn't be so bad if the pictures were appropriate, but a minute or two in the gallery will show you there is a lot of trash there.  Many pictures are uploaded to the gallery to make it easy to insert in a thread and are only relevant to that particular subject.

On 3/20/2017 at 23:24, howardang said:

I agree and would much prefer to be able to choose whether they are visible or not.

I agree it would be nice to able to hide the side bars, as you could in V3, but can also see this gets more complicated now they move to the bottom of the page in mobile view. Let us have a look at how feasible this is and get back to you.

We did look at the option of filtering the images displaced in the bar to only show ones above a certain 'rating' , however as the rating system for some reason was only turn on in a few select areas, there is not yet enough data or use of this feature for it to work as expected. Now the ratings system is more widely available we will review again in time.

As you can now upload images directly to posts, there should be no reason at all to added a photo to the gallery soley to repost it in a thread.

Daniel

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

As you can now upload images directly to posts, there should be no reason at all to added a photo to the gallery soley to repost it in a thread.

Isn't this the main reason to make the gallery a separate section of the forum, accessible from the home page only, and not imposed on everybody's View New Content page and the like?

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Isn't this the main reason to make the gallery a separate section of the forum, accessible from the home page only, and not imposed on everybody's View New Content page and the like?

I wouldn't say so at all.

The home page as a range of things on it, extracts from the gallery as you say, but also from the calender (birthdays) , main forum (Recent topics, Popular topics and Popular Contributors) , and a list of those chat room.

There is always a balance of what to show, but the whole point of the home page is to bring the site together into a single opening page.

###

As a trial, I have just reduced the number of images shown from 5 to 3 and would be interested in the threads feedback on this.

###

Daniel

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

The home page as a range of things on it, extracts from the gallery as you say, but also from the calender (birthdays) , main forum (Recent topics, Popular topics and Popular Contributors) , and a list of those chat room.

There is always a balance of what to show, but the whole point of the home page is to bring the site together into a single opening page.

###

As a trial, I have just reduced the number of images shown from 5 to 3 and would be interested in the threads feedback on this.

###

Daniel

Not sure I get the number of images shown that you do, but I see 10 images.  Where they are shown at the side reducing them is not going to help really ,you have still lost that space particularly on an iPad where they are talking up almost half the screen width.

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not sure I get the number of images shown that you do, but I see 10 images.  Where they are shown at the side reducing them is not going to help really ,you have still lost that space particularly on an iPad where they are talking up almost half the screen width.

I see three on the home page, but 10 on the right column of my VNC page.  I don't mind the former, but so many truncated images on the VNC page is a bit of an irritation.

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

###

###

Daniel

10 here on the forum page but only 3 on the main page, can you not reverse this? better still give us the option to "hide" the galley on the forum page.

51 minutes ago, peter n said:

I see three on the home page, but 10 on the right column of my VNC page.  I don't mind the former, but so many truncated images on the VNC page is a bit of an irritation.

Ahh, didnt spot they where set independent. I have reduced the VNC page from 10 to 5 images.

Daniel 

8 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Ahh, didnt spot they where set independent. I have reduced the VNC page from 10 to 5 images.

Daniel 

On my custom activity stream I didn't used to see any gallery pictures,  now I see 5. The only pages that previously had gallery pictures were the sites home and VNC pages.

14 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Daniel 

That's half way there! If you could please reduce it by a further 5 (to zero) it will be much better. On a mobile, in particular, they add absolutely no value whatsoever.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, peter n said:

Only ever go to VNC, but you are right there are just 3 on the home page. 

36 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Daniel 

So you have, but that makes no difference on desktop or iPad as the still take up valuable horizontal space.  I just don't see why we want them on VNC (or an activity stream to be precise) at all, or really any where, what are they other than some random pictures that I probably don't care about.

Using my (Windows) tablet, the gallery pics in my (custom) New Content migrate from the side to the bottom when I turn it from horizontal to vertical position, and are even more ridiculously truncated.  But like almost everyone else, I see absolutely no reason for them to be there at all, and never looked at the Gallery before.  In fact, its very existence possibly misleads new members into thinking that this is where they should be putting their pictures for people to see.

Like pretty well everyone else, I really don't see the point in having gallery pix anywhere except the home page. I'm on marina wifi at the moment, so it's no big deal apart from the waste of screen space, but when out on the cut next month (hurrah) I'm going to resent the bandwidth and increased loading time.

We never had them on the old VNC page, did we?