My cat has gone missing, strange dead animal found what is it?!

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

Our cat has gone missing for 3 hours now, he has a tracker. I've explored all the area the tracker last seen him. When I went on the search there is a dead animal on the tow path.  What is this animal? 

The same animal but a smaller one was close by looking at the dead body. 

I fear what got this creature also got our cat 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

Our cat has gone missing for 3 hours now, he has a tracker. I've explored all the area the tracker last seen him. When I went on the search there is a dead animal on the tow path.  What is this animal? 

The same animal but a smaller one was close by looking at the dead body. 

I fear what got this creature also got our cat 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Muntjac Deer

Deer.JPG

Agree with muntjac

Maybe your cat has just been scared off? Cats have an uncanny knack of disappearing and ignoring all attempts at calling them and vigorous biscuit shaking at the exact same moment you start worrying about them.

Hope your moggie is home soon. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

What could have killed it do you think.  this deer is very close to our boat. And no cat 

I would think either a fox or maybe a dog.

Unless you believe those 'big cat' sightings ^_^

Cat is found.   4 hours he was gone and I went out for one more look. And he was close to the dead deer. He's begging to go back out now.  But he's on total lock down.  Don't get the the Tile tracker as its not great with a 100 ft range 

These 'trackers' are a con.  They have no GPS and link to your phone with Bleutooth.  When the tracker and phone are separated the position of the phone is recorded.  This can be useful if you forget something in the house, or where you parked your car but for a proper tracker you need a unit with its own GPS chip.  This needs a battery and would be much larger overall.

Just now, mross said:

These 'trackers' are a con.  They have no GPS and link to your phone with Bleutooth.  When the tracker and phone are separated the position of the phone is recorded.  This can be useful if you forget something in the house, or where you parked your car but for a proper tracker you need a unit with its own GPS chip.  This needs a battery and would be much larger overall.

I wouldn't say the tile and the like (like trackr) are a con, they are just not suitable for a cat.

GPS trackers for pets overview here; http://www.appcessories.co.uk/wheres-that-darn-cat-the-best-gps-cat-tracker/

however battery life for GPS trackers isn't great, and tend to be more bulky.

Just now, mross said:

These 'trackers' are a con.  They have no GPS and link to your phone with Bleutooth.

Yes - they are not really trackers in the true sense and the marketing is a bit on the creative side but I have found them invaluable in finding my keys and wallet around the house - especially when I'm in a rush and just can't seem to find them.  Using them on pets though - well not as a tracker but as a training aid.  We used ours to train the cats to come in in the evenings by activating them (whilst they were wearing them) and getting them (the tile) to play their little tune.  They don't wear tiles anymore and all I need to do now is go out with my keys and activate the tile - if they are in hearing range they come running in.

My cat has a loc8tor collar tag.  It's definitely not a waste of time as I've used it to find here a few times.  Most memorably when she'd got into an abandoned boat, under a tarp.  She could not get out and I would have had no way of knowing she was there.  She tends not to miaow in those situations.

Good to know that puss is home and safe.

It's never much fun when a cat goes missing.

As an aside does anyone else have any experience of, for want of better words, psychic tracking?

I don't have any truck with mystic mumbo jumbo but when one of our cats went missing the local CPL suggested we try the 'cat whisperer' on the other side of the Island as a last resort. So I gave her a ring.

She lives on the far side of the IoW from us, AFAIK we'd never met and I called her out of the blue. She might have been able to work out roughly where we live from our landline number if she had caller display but she went on to describe in some detail the allotments just round the corner from where we live. She talked about seeing 'telegraph poles', there are wooden poles supporting power cables running across the allotments. She mentioned seeing a caravan that I'd never noticed, it is well hidden.  She made reference to a large shed like structure which is by the allotments and talked about seeing something beyond it that she couldn't make out. The local railway station is just the other side of this 'shed'. But she said she couldn't see our cat and she thought she wasn't there.

I thanked her for her time and help, she did not ask for anything in return.

I have to say I was quite taken aback! Even more so when a few weeks later I was talking to a friend on the allotments who said he had seen a cat dash up the path and under the gate to be run over and killed by a Tesco delivery van. The cat answered the description of ours. He reckoned she had been frightened by a fox.

The irony was the driver of the van was married to a CPL volunteer. He'd taken the corpse to their local HQ but due to their being short staffed there was an admin cockup and it wasn't logged, hence they had no record of our poor cat when I first contacted them. By the time I'd found this out her corpse had been disposed as industrial waste as it hadn't been claimed.

She was a beautiful cat. We called her Honeysuckle and still miss her.

Just now, Dave_P said:

My cat has a loc8tor collar tag.  It's definitely not a waste of time as I've used it to find here a few times.  Most memorably when she'd got into an abandoned boat, under a tarp.  She could not get out and I would have had no way of knowing she was there.  She tends not to miaow in those situations.

Do you have the old type or the new round type? If the round ones how do you find them?

Just now, Robbo said:

Do you have the old type or the new round type? If the round ones how do you find them?

Erm, assuming you mean the shape of the tag and not the cat, the tag is sort of rectangular with rounded off corners.

Just now, Dave_P said:

Erm, assuming you mean the shape of the tag and not the cat, the tag is sort of rectangular with rounded off corners.

Aye, the tag :) That's the older type, mine stopped working and I got the new ones.  They don't seem to be as good and reliable as the previous version. :(

Just now, Robbo said:

Good time to highlight if your cat isn't chipped to get it chipped and if chipped, next time at the vets to get it checked to see if still scannable.

Amen to that.

Honeysuckle wasn't chipped.

Needless to say we got our other cats chipped soon after.

Just now, Robbo said:

Aye, the tag :) That's the older type, mine stopped working and I got the new ones.  They don't seem to be as good and reliable as the previous version. :(

The downside is that they'll generally stop working when your moggy falls in the cut.

Just now, Dave_P said:

The downside is that they'll generally stop working when your moggy falls in the cut.

Mine didn't have that issue as they had been dunked a few times, but they were in the "splash proof" collar case thing. 

Just now, Robbo said:

Mine didn't have that issue as they had been dunked a few times, but they were in the "splash proof" collar case thing. 

Mine one survived its first dunking but not the second.  Now the case is quite old and battered and I doubt it's in any way splashproof now.