Progress on dock

rivergate

Featured Posts

So something was found on dock then, as you dont normally do all that work to just sell you would just reseam and black rather than the extra time of scrapping and corking.

Edited by billybobbooth

2 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

So something was found on dock then, as you dont normally do all that work to just sell you would just reseam and black rather than the extra time of scrapping and corking.

Nope - that is probably more reflective of your character than mine Billbob :) -  other than the pic I shared where we let a couple of blocks in she seems fine...the work was done to start the catch up of lack of maintenance properly ...and because it is fun to do  :) 

..she is now offered for sale because my family want a bigger boat and her sale would help fund that.. :) 

Edited by rivergate

What an interesting forum item, supprisingly I didn't notice it on here before the E bay advert, I was seriously going to go for it, glue eh. ! mmm, is it still on the market ?, with an honest survey, I would think, not that important if you know what you are looking at, a useful bit of kit

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:17, billybobbooth said:

So BBB you put wooden boats on dock so you can fight and drink wine?

• 2 months later...

There are about 5 boats mentioned in this thread, however assuming your question refers to the OP "Progress"

Yes it sold.  I met the new owner at Stoke Bruerne a few weeks back, he was merrily chucking paint at the top-sides while sucking his head and shaking his teeth.

...yes - I sold to what I thought was her best home rather than the highest bidder...they seemed very pleased on the day but its a shame if they are not so pleased with her now -  - they had the benefit of both the pictures here and advice from Trevor who was there on the day so certainly had the best infomation at the time..

She's a lovely little boat and we had some great trips in her in the short time we owned her.

I lived in a back cabin for a decade or so and found it very comfortable but without a cross bed, Progress 'es internal layout needed to be substantially changed to fit with our needs and even then, her very narrow gunnels would have made social family boating not practical for us at all but I was sad to see her go...

....we continue to look for the right boat for us tho as one thing Progress did do was get my sons enjoying the actual boating - just not so much in Progress :) 

17349345_1260536957357156_1721681051_o.jpg

IMG_2017.JPG

Progress-L.jpg

DSC00552.JPG

I don't think it was Progress they're not enjoying.

They were trying to paint in between spits of rain and muggins (like me) constantly interrupting them with daft questions like "OOH ..... is that Progress?"

• 1 month later...

We have been highly privileged to get a sneak tour of Progress whilst an absolutely superb paint job with full decoration and sign writing was being completed in the paint dock at High House Wharf.

She looks absolutely superb.  I would have loved to get photos, but we missed her departure for Stoke Bruerne this morning by minutes, apparently.

It's possible she is already back there - if someone can get an image, it would be great to see it posted.  The painter and signwriter has done a stunning job.

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

We have been highly privileged to get a sneak tour of Progress whilst an absolutely superb paint job with full decoration and sign writing was being completed in the paint dock at High House Wharf.

She looks absolutely superb.  I would have loved to get photos, but we missed her departure for Stoke Bruerne this morning by minutes, apparently.

It's possible she is already back there - if someone can get an image, it would be great to see it posted.  The painter and signwriter has done a stunning job.

Leo No 2 has posted a couple of pictures on one of the facebook pages. Cannot link to it as I am on a tablet and don' know how to do links on it.

One taken this morning in the sunshine.  Not sure I think the stanchions and rope around the front deck, or the garden bench, are in keeping but it's not my boat so horses for courses. Stern end fenders need, in my opinion, to be a quite a bit more 'erect'.  I do hope, for the owners' sake, the paint lasts as everything is made of wood - well almost everything! I imagine the paint is very soft at the moment.

DSC_4362.JPG

Edited by Leo No2
Text updated

Having seen the paint at point blank range, I just marvel at the skills of the painter.  You literally can't see any brush strokes in it - it is absolutely smooth (and highly shiny!).  Hard to believe it's covering wood not steel.

The painter is realistic that it is only as good as what lies underneath, which on much of it is outside his control.  Apparently overpainting (I think) the front of the cabin which was thought to be in good condition then produced blisters.  Investigation revealed that varnish had previously been used as a primer, (yes honestly!), and had been fine until the new paint somehow reacted with it.

For the moment it looks stunning though.

Looks good but I"m with Leo about the deck seat & railings,+ the rear fenders. Narrow lock working(ability to cross the deck ) will be some what more difficult.

Edited by X Alan W

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

Looks good but I"m with Leo about the deck seat & railings, Narrow lock working(ability to cross the deck ) will be some what more difficult.

I think it was being (or is about to be?) used for some function where it was (or will be?) visited by various people from Richard Parry downwards.  Perhaps this is only temporary in connection with that?

I agree with Leo that the fenders need rehanging!

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think it was being (or is about to be?) used for some function where it was (or will be?) visited by various people from Richard Parry downwards.  Perhaps this is only temporary in connection with that?

I agree with Leo that the fenders need rehanging!

It was on display last night for a 'do' in the village.