Why are emojis censored?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

It won't let me post them from my phone "character not allowed" or some such message, deleted them and it posted ok, I'll try again.... 

No joy "The value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji." 

Grrr. 

Are you using the emoji's that appear on your phones keyboard? 

If so try using the emoji's  provided on CWDF's software instead. It is the smiley symbol in the panel at the top of a post (after bold, italics,  etc) :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

It won't let me post them from my phone "character not allowed" or some such message, deleted them and it posted ok, I'll try again.... 

No joy "The value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji." 

Grrr. 

you can't post things from a phone.  use a pillar box instead.  Red thing 5ft tall with a burka slot.  :banghead: 

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

you can't post things from a phone.  use a pillar box instead.  Red thing 5ft tall with a burka slot.  :banghead: 

I thought the burka covered up the slot? 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Is "emoji" a variant of an "emoticon", which I believe is the usual name for those little yellow fellows?

In what way have they been censored? By whom?

i thought an emoticon was a smiley made up from keyboard characters, whereas an emoji is one of those little graphics.

1 minute ago, dor said:

i thought an emoticon was a smiley made up from keyboard characters, whereas an emoji is one of those little graphics.

Yes, so why can't I post an Emoji from my phone?

3 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Because they are not part of the standard character set so they won't display on all devices. The emojis here from the smiley face button on CWDF are basically just images and not part of a character set.

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Because you have a rubbish phone?

I'd post several crying with laughter emojis but I'm not allowed. 

Maybe the new site is rubbish, very picky and canal. Sorry auto spell will insist on adding that extra c.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Because they are not part of the standard character set so they won't display on all devices. The emojis here from the smiley face button on CWDF are basically just images and not part of a character set.

In addition to my reply.  Forum software will only allow certain characters to be "posted" and displayed, this is to reduce the forum from been attacked from bad guys from vulnerabilities such a SQL injection and other such stuff.   If they allowed any characters to be posted the likely hood of the forum supplying us the forum users with dodgy web pages/malware, etc., so it's a good thing that Dan updates the forum software on a regular basis.

51 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Some at least worked with the previous forum software. :)

Edited to add still work.  The one above was a  : followed by a ) 

That will be the forum software shortcuts for changing the smiley to a image, nothing to do with the phone emoji stuff.

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Do they work on other forums or did they work with the previous software?

Not on my phone or tablet with the previous CWDF software. I used to use a colon followed by a bracket for a smiley.