Cream paint for narrowboat roof

Featured Posts

Hello, we want to paint the roof of our 11 year old Liverpool boat.  It is cream, in reasonable condition, not flaking and only small specks of surface rust.

The existing paint looks matt, and doesn't appear to have any grit or other non-slip additive, so I was hoping to find something similar. 

I have looked at Midland Chandlers purely because our local chandlers will get stock in from there for us to pick up, but I can only see gloss or else Interdeck or Teamac Suregrip.  I am guessing that they are more "gritty" and so will be harder to keep clean, being cream (which we want to stick with). 

If so, then the next idea is to use Dulux Metalshield which I have just read a post about or Weathershield.  Having things delivered isn't really possible which limits our options.

Is my assumption about the deck paints correct?  And if so, does the Dulux paint seem a reasonable suggestion for an amateur job and done outdoors at the mercy of the weather? 

Thank you for any help.

I have white Interdeck panels painted on the roof. It washes up well with water and a soft household broom from Wilko. It is very non slip even when wet and easily freshened up with a coat of paint (using a roller) after cleaning the surface with HG paint preparation wash.

Our boat roof was originally painted with light grey Protectacote, eventually this started shedding pigment badly so I looked around for something to overpaint it. In the end I chatted to our local Crown paint store (not a DIY shed) and on their advice for a silk/eggshell type finish in oil based paint had them mix me some.  The colour I chose turned out to be more cream than grey although it came from the grey colour swatch. So far three years on very happy with it and little pigment shedding. Scrubs up well and seems to resist duck crap damage.

Edited to add:- Both the Protectacote and Crown purchased stuff shed less pigment that the Craftmaster Raddle grey I tried on the roof.

Edited by Tony Brooks

My roof is painted in cream International Top Lac.  It is 10 years old now and still going strong.

Although it is a gloss,  regular use of Aldi's caravan cleaner gives it a satin finish and keeps it clean.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

On 13/03/2017 at 12:41, Chris T said:

Thanks everyone for replies, although I'm not sure I'm any closer to a decision! 

Meanderingviking - what do you use to paint over the interdeck?

Interdeck is a topcoat deckpaint.

https://marinestore.co.uk/International_Interdeck___Slip_Resistant_Deck_Paint_750ml.html

Have a google - you'll find it cheaper than this.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:41, Chris T said:

Thanks everyone for replies, although I'm not sure I'm any closer to a decision! 

Meanderingviking - what do you use to paint over the interdeck?

More Interdeck :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2017 at 07:37, Tony Brooks said:

Our boat roof was originally painted with light grey Protectacote, eventually this started shedding pigment badly so I looked around for something to overpaint it. In the end I chatted to our local Crown paint store (not a DIY shed) and on their advice for a silk/eggshell type finish in oil based paint had them mix me some.  The colour I chose turned out to be more cream than grey although it came from the grey colour swatch. So far three years on very happy with it and little pigment shedding. Scrubs up well and seems to resist duck crap damage.

Edited to add:- Both the Protectacote and Crown purchased stuff shed less pigment that the Craftmaster Raddle grey I tried on the roof.

I used protectacote cream, does stain a bit though.