Thames

Timx

Featured Posts

I suggest you get the Month licence for the Thames. That will allow you about enough time to do your cruise at leisure and enjoy it. What you plan is I think among the best trips of the whole inland waterways system and a joy. There are always moorings to be found, as long as one is happy to use pins, tie on at one end to a bush etc.  The Upper Thames is simply lovely. Make sure to visit Kelmscott Manor on an open day. There are superb old pubs in the villages often half a mile or so from the river, and on the river, some achingly lovely stretches that will lift your soul. The progression from small river to Oxford and then to magnificent broad waterway through Henley and Marlow into Windsor is a great experience. Plus seeing what a bankers bonus can buy. I once stopped for fuel and waited while someone put £2k of fuel into their boat for a jaunt. 

You know the K&A - and know what to expect. If you haven't already covered your boat in old scrap motorbikes and logs, just stop at the army surplus for some new gear,  and you should blend in fine. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Agreed,that's worth a visit.

I did an extensive pub crawl around Oxford last July,taking in the usual suspects in the city centre,but my two favourites were a bit further out of town going north from the Lamb & Flag namely Gardeners Arms and Rose & Crown  both charming small back street pubs with decent ale .Worth the walk IMHO.

Beware there are two Gardeners Arms very close together,the better one is NOT in the same street at the Rose& Crown :wacko:

The Gardeners in Plantation Road is indeed a nice pub. Food is all veggie but fairly cheap. The landlord of the R&C (North Parade, about a mile south of South Parade) could have been the reason the French invented the word 'emmerdeur' but it's still worth the walk from town.

So many excellent drinking places...

8 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

If you are coming off of the K&A check that Blakes lock is open.

Emergency closure of Blakes Lock 12/03/2017 12.55 hrs.

Following a pollution incident, the River Kennet is closed at Blake’s Lock until further notice. The lock is chained and padlocked shut. We have deployed booms immediately downstream of Blake’s Lock to contain the pollution. The need for this closuer will be assesed daily by 12.00hrs, by Waterways. Boaters are requested not to navigate in the area around Blakes Lock as wash is spreading the oil. Heavy rain in Reading on Sunday morning is moving more oil down to the booms already installed.

Goring can be a good place to stop.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on how they get on clearing up that pollution, but I'm guessing it should be dealt with by the end of March. Likewise I see most of the Thames is on yellow boards at the moment "Caution stream decreasing" but hope it'll be fine by the time we get there.

On my first trip on the Thames, going down from Oxford to Reading two years ago with paulmeds, we made our overnight stop at Goring, and very pretty it is too. But it was a long day to get that far, 12 hours from Kings Lock including a one hour pause at Abingdon. So going upstream from Reading on a one day licence I think bigste and I will be looking to get beyond Goring before stopping, somewhere around Wallingford maybe.

On 12/03/2017 at 10:25, mrsmelly said:

Make sure you go up to Lechlade. The bit from Dukes to Lechlade is the best part of the river. It becomes VERY tight on some of the bends but a sixty footer will be no problem at all.

Tim is of course being VERY mischievous posting this. 

The Thames to Lechlade is actually seriously tedious and boring, comprising endless tight bends in thousands of acres of dull and boring reed beds, around which out-of-control hire boats career at you constantly. This in a 60ft boat will make the whole experience stressful and well worth avoiding.

Ditch the Lechlade trip and spend twice as long on The Wey, would be my advice for delightful cruising.

Lots of useful information there that I wasn't aware of,many thanks for all replies,planning properly appears essential then, I'm glad I asked and can refer back to as I go along.I will go into Oxford first to try the pubs then carry on down and around to Lechlade. Then double back to go to Windsor, and then on to the wey navigation, then double back again to go across to Bristol and back.Thanks again. I will decide on which license when I have timed it properly.

I like all the Thames, below Oxford are interesting towns and villages with some very expensive property to view as you glide by, the Wey is a must to visit while you are down that way. Above Oxford are only villages until Lechlade, it is twisty in places ( we are 62 ft with fenders) but I have never met an out of control boats , indeed we find narrow boats handle much better on the Thames than shallow canals. We have a gold licence each year and spend 2- 3 months on the river.  Favourite pub in Oxford is the The Bookmakers Arms.

Enjoy.

19 hours ago, Peter X said:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on how they get on clearing up that pollution, but I'm guessing it should be dealt with by the end of March. Likewise I see most of the Thames is on yellow boards at the moment "Caution stream decreasing" but hope it'll be fine by the time we get there.

On my first trip on the Thames, going down from Oxford to Reading two years ago with paulmeds, we made our overnight stop at Goring, and very pretty it is too. But it was a long day to get that far, 12 hours from Kings Lock including a one hour pause at Abingdon. So going upstream from Reading on a one day licence I think bigste and I will be looking to get beyond Goring before stopping, somewhere around Wallingford maybe.

Wallingford can get a bit awkward to find a mooring unless you don’t mind mooring under/into the trees, left hand bank going up river. You may be able to moor at Benson lock, frees payable, or move up to Shillingford then Dorchester which has a few moorings or above Day’s lock.

16 minutes ago, kremmen said:

Watch out for the moorings above Days lock. The landowner has gone mad with barbed wire fences.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15033921.Villagers_fighting_for_freedom_after_former_UKIP_treasurer_began_fencing_off_countryside/

Paul

Oh dear! those moorings have been a favourite of mine for over 40 Years,seems likely that 'No Mooring' Signs will appear?

Edited by cereal tiller

That is indeed a shame, as that has been one of the best mooring spots on the system.  The meadows were lovely, and unfenced. I see from the pics now it is ruthlessly enclosed. Hostile wealthy landowners is a bit of an issue on the Thames. 

1 hour ago, Timx said:

So where is it best to moor in Oxford..?

A few moorings right above Osney lock on the Thames. They are EA 24 hours (or is it 48?) but you can pay a bit for an extra night or two. Can sometimes get full  in the boating season. There used to be lots of mooring on the lovely wide bit of the Thames opposite the University boat houses but these are now almost completely squatted by a community of liveaboards, very selfish!. You can sometimes find just one or two spots here. Otherwise there should be space on the Oxford canal. Surprisingly the spaces right above Isis lock are often available.

.............Dave

16 minutes ago, Timx said:

Well I suppose I could stay two weeks, but probably less,at least three days,depends on weather and how I like pubs?

Well that's the trouble. I don't think there is anywhere to stay two weeks unless you are happy paying £10 a night.  Other than wild tying to a tree somewhere and staying on the boat as there will be no way to get off.

There used to be free mooring on Christchurch Meadows opposite the university boat houses but I heard a rumour they and now ram jammed with CMers. Dunno if it's true though.

Or get off the river and use a VM on the canal.

EA East Street moorings are -

first night free

two more nights, a fiver a night

They used to be more flexible when the lockie ran them, but now it's all changed. It is physically possible to moor up in the cut on the other side above Sheepwash  junction, but there are dire notices that say not. You / we have  selfish CMers to thank for that. You can moor above Godstow Lock  and Eynsham lock. A stiff walk to the A40 where there are buses into Oxenford or if you have a bicycle...

Edited by OldGoat
On a point of Order from the gentleman below...

13 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

EA East Street moorings are -

first night free

two more nights, a fiver a night

They used to be more flexible when the lockie ran them, but now it's all changed. It is physically possible to moor up in the cut on the other side above Sheepwash  junction, but there are dire notices that say not. You / we have CCers to thank for that. You can moor above Godstow Lock  and Eynsham lock. A stiff walk to the A40 where there are buses into Oxenford or if you have a bicycle...

I thought better of you than to peddle that nonsense.

We have selfish CMers to thank for that, you should have written.

• Greenie 1

I' meant on the canal, once I buy a Thames license I will be moving to make good use,so I thought winter mooring rules meant I could stay up to two weeks on the canal, just wanted to know recommendations for best place,but I see I may not get much choice..?

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

I' meant on the canal, once I buy a Thames license I will be moving to make good use,so I thought winter mooring rules meant I could stay up to two weeks on the canal, just wanted to know recommendations for best place,but I see I may not get much choice..?

Dunno about in Oxford but down here on the K&A there are very few VMs available in winter.

CRT flog them all as long term Winter Moorings. Five feckin' months they are full and signed 'Reserved Winter Moorings'.

The five months us CCers need them most. Really gets my goat.

• Greenie 1

Depends on where you really want to stay and why. As others have said, canal near Oxford is not easy as much of the usable space is let out to Agenda 21 on a long term basis. There are more VM's now than a few year ago but the problem is that by the time you get there and find no room the only thing to do is turn around and go back up - or go onto the river which, as you have already worked out, east into your short term licence.

However, if you want to be near to Oxford rather than in it, there are better options a little further back, especially close to taransport. Heyford station offers quick, although not frequent, journeys into Oxford and further in the region of Thrupp has good buses.

There are (or used to be) two VMs right at the end of the blind arm at the southern end of the Oxford. Walk along the arm past all the residentials to the end and have a look. Very few boaters realise they are there.

You'll have to reverse out though. No space to wind.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 12:49, cereal tiller said:

Good summary,the Bod that runs the TVM outfit is a Dutch(Fake or Real?) Barge Owner,many real Dutch Barge owners have difficulty finding Deep Water Moorings.

The EA moorings are usually Plenty deep with fixed mooring Bollards so suitable for deep Draughted Boats.

I keep feeling that there is a Hidden Agenda which will benefit clubs or Businesses?

The protests from River user will likely make this a short lived initiative

He isn't a barge owner - he has a canal boat