Thames EA pump out cost & availability

frangar

Featured Posts

Just wondering if anyone knows the cost of the EA self operated pump outs at the locks on the Thames? Can't seem to find it on any of the EA sites apart from the Anglia region one....I've seen £10 mentioned in a few places which makes them good value compared to CRT! but would like to make sure. 

Also do the same cards/tokens work in them all or do you have to buy the relevant thing at the same lock as the unit? Finally other forums seem to suggest they might not always be operational due to long term maintenance issues......any thoughts welcome....oh "use an cassette/grotti potty/compost/crap in a bag...(much the same as compost)" isn't a useful comment.

They were £10 last year. They are good value. I always pump out at Abingdon before I leave the Thames at Oxford. As far as I know a card you buy will work in them all - but I haven't tried it myself.

It seems there are always one or two out of order but there is usually advance notice at nearby locks so you can plan ahead. Even with allowance for out of order machines, there are enough as long as you think ahead.

Whilst other suggestions may be 'un-welcome' I consider it is never a bad thing to have a alternative for any of the boat systems.

Surely it is reasonable to have an alternative toilet system on board - particularly if there is any possibility of the next pump-out station being out of order - unless - you plan to use every pump-out you pass In case the one that you do actually need is out-of-order.

A porta-potty doesn't take up too much room and can give you 2 or 3 days safety-margin.

52 minutes ago, RichLech said:

They were £10 last year. They are good value. I always pump out at Abingdon before I leave the Thames at Oxford. As far as I know a card you buy will work in them all - but I haven't tried it myself.

It seems there are always one or two out of order but there is usually advance notice at nearby locks so you can plan ahead. Even with allowance for out of order machines, there are enough as long as you think ahead.

That's great. I thought it good value too....almost too good!! I like the idea they might say which ones are out of order so you can plan ahead. 

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whilst other suggestions may be 'un-welcome' I consider it is never a bad thing to have a alternative for any of the boat systems.

Surely it is reasonable to have an alternative toilet system on board - particularly if there is any possibility of the next pump-out station being out of order - unless - you plan to use every pump-out you pass In case the one that you do actually need is out-of-order.

A porta-potty doesn't take up too much room and can give you 2 or 3 days safety-margin.

I've got a grotty potty too for winter use/emergencies etc but when out cruising I tend to leave it stowed away & use the pump out....I've also got a self pump out kit....so can be fairly independent if required given suitable facilities.....cue the moaning about that now!! 

I just felt a tenner was quite good value and there seems to be quite a few of them too!! 

EA pumpout charges are always hidden on their site. AFAIK the cost is still a tenner. If they do put it up it will probably be to £12.

In theory you get 6 minutes of continuous suction (if some idiot hasn't blocked the machine...) and you can pause it while you get your hoses organised.

We have two tanks and can refill with clean water and pump again at least twice.

There are several boatyards / marinas you can use as well - sometime cheaper!

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I carry a portapotty all nice and clean. I have used it on 3 occasions in 15 years when I have been unable to get a pump out

59 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

EA pumpout charges are always hidden on their site. AFAIK the cost is still a tenner. If they do put it up it will probably be to £12.

In theory you get 6 minutes of continuous suction (if some idiot hasn't blocked the machine...) and you can pause it while you get your hoses organised.

We have two tanks and can refill with clean water and pump again at least twice.

There are several boatyards / marinas you can use as well - sometime cheaper!

Better Boating had a superb pumpout system last time I went there, a large vacuum tank that would suck anything out. Far netter than the pumps  

55 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

My emergency backup for the pump-out is a bucket. Not yet needed in 4+ years.

As long as you don't chuckit overboard - or you may end up with a situation such as is currently happening on the T&K in reading (Thames lock is closed 'due' to a pollution incident).

I'd better say 'haha' as the cuase is as yet undefined - but - hey...

On 10/03/2017 at 19:36, OldGoat said:

As long as you don't chuckit overboard - or you may end up with a situation such as is currently happening on the T&K in reading (Thames lock is closed 'due' to a pollution incident).

I'd better say 'haha' as the cuase is as yet undefined - but - hey...

Oil spill according to EA.

On 09/03/2017 at 08:40, RichLech said:

Even better value on the Great Ouse, where the EA pumpouts are free.