Morso double wall flue kit with a hobbit stove

Featured Posts

I'm looking to install a fire in my narrowboat and want to use the Morso double wall flue kit for a few reasons (it looks quick to install, it fits with the recommendations of bs8511 etc) but don't want to buy a Morso stove and instead much prefer the Hobbit.  

I've searched on the forum and haven't found anything about mixing the two.  I understand the Morso flue is designed to fit "a 5 inch morso collar", whereas the hobbit is 4 inch.

Is a converter a possibility?  

Also, the Morso flue kit talks of male and female joints.  Am I right in imaging what I've tried to picture below, with male joints facing upwards and sitting inside a female joint (on the installation instructions for the deck plate it mentions the importance of male facing upwards), with one of these joints between lower pipe and the stove, then between the two pieces of pipe, then again to the collar, and again from the collar to chimney?  

|     |               |    |
                                         ||   ||               ||  ||
                                          |   |                 |  |

However, when I look at the Morso stove collars (4 inch and 143mm od), I don't quite understand how they work with the flues.  

Any advice would be gratefully received! 

Also, edited to add a picture of the Morso flue that roughly shows some of the different joins.  

Morso-flue-kit.jpg

Edited by mattcyp

I have a hobbit and used the salamander flue kit, which is probably similar.  I was told to have the male part pointing down, as if the male part is up (no smiling please) the tar which runs down the inside will tend to seep out of the joint.

As an aside you can fix the flue to the top or rear of the hobbit stove.  If you use rear entry (again NO smiling) it does leave the top clear for a coffee pot or stew pot for free cooking in winter.

Thanks for the info.  Was that a double walled flue for its entire length?  

If it's single walled, male down would make sense as it's quite different from the way double walled flues join:

|     |
                     |     |
                     |     |
                    | |   | |
                    |       |
__________|       |____________

Midland chandlers were quite useful on the phone and explained that the inner pipe of the flue fits inside the stove collar (which is slightly tapered), with the outer sitting outside (and normally flush with the top of the stove).  Something like this:

|      |          |        |                                          
               |    \ |          | /      |
__________|              |____________

Or this:

Inline image 1

Hobbits are 4" flue,  morso are 5" so you will need some kind of adapter fabricated.......

IMO not worth the agro, I would go with the Hobbit flue.

My Hobbit is single wall all the way to the roof from the top of the stove just CBA to mess around with twin wall

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Hobbits are 4" flue,  morso are 5" so you will need some kind of adapter fabricated.......

My Hobbit is single wall all the way to the roof from the top of the stove just CBA to mess around with twin wall

In my opinion non of the double walled flues are worth the hassle. My single skinned flue gives nice heat out into the room as have all the others on my previous boats oh but I suppose that could be dangerous and I could burn myself :o

9 hours ago, Loddon said:

4" to 5" flue adaptors are readily available for about £20.  No need for fabrication.

I agree that double walled flues are hassle (at least in the design stage).  

Mac, are you suggesting something like this:  link.  If so, how do I work out if it would work with the Morso flue (which is described as 5'', but the inner pipe is 5 1/4'' od).  

Cheers for the input.

6 hours ago, mattcyp said:

I agree that double walled flues are hassle (at least in the design stage).  

Mac, are you suggesting something like this:  link.  If so, how do I work out if it would work with the Morso flue (which is described as 5'', but the inner pipe is 5 1/4'' od).  

Cheers for the input.

Yes, although you can get them cheaper.  If your Morso flue is as you say, then you'd have to contact the supplier of the adaptor to get the exact inside diameter of the adaptor.  They are designed to be a very tight fit, but it is very naughty of Morso to call it 5" if it's 5 1/4".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just wondering why the preference for the Hobbit stove?

I replaced my boatman with a hobbit because the boatman was too hot and was burning the cabin sides.

It was in the traditional position in the boatman's cabin and could not be moved. The hobbit was small enough to allow me to add some protective insulation and was a reasonable price.

It's been in for three years now and works well.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just wondering why the preference for the Hobbit stove?

Mines been in 6 years or so,  excellent small stove replaced a Little Wenlock which fell apart.

Stays in for 12+ hrs and apart from painting it it has needed no maintainence. 

Heats a 60ft boat from the front the way we like it, warm at front cool in the bedroom at the back.

Only thing is you have to get the larger fuel guard for solid fuel.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Mines been in 6 years or so,  excellent small stove replaced a Little Wenlock which fell apart.

Stays in for 12+ hrs and apart from painting it it has needed no maintainence. 

Heats a 60ft boat from the front the way we like it, warm at front cool in the bedroom at the back.

Only thing is you have to get the larger fuel guard for solid fuel.

Sounds very much like my Squirrel then.  I'm wondering whether the Hobbit is actually better in some way?

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sounds very much like my Squirrel then.  I'm wondering whether the Hobbit is actually better in some way?

My grate hasn't rotted like my morso did many times. No fire bricks to crumble it's all steel inside. It's also quite a bit smaller.  If I was still living on board I would have replaced the baffle plate this year as it's slightly distorted.

A better stove is the Charnwood Country 4 knocks the morso into s cocked hat. We have had two one on Parglena and one in the cottage. Best stove I've had by miles