Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bloomsberry

Car crashes into canal in Stenson

Featured Posts

"Car still floating the next morning". Clearly the reporter has no idea how shallow canals are.

How can anyone end up in the canal when driving along a perfectly straight road, unless there was a mechanical failure?  Perhaps they were distracted by something like a mobile phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

"Car still floating the next morning". Clearly the reporter has no idea how shallow canals are.

How can anyone end up in the canal when driving along a perfectly straight road, unless there was a mechanical failure?  Perhaps they were distracted by something like a mobile phone?

I think of much more traditional distractions for a couple in a car at night... ;)

Atleast recovery should be straightforward there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cuthound said:

"Car still floating the next morning". Clearly the reporter has no idea how shallow canals are.

How can anyone end up in the canal when driving along a perfectly straight road, unless there was a mechanical failure?  Perhaps they were distracted by something like a mobile phone?

1030 pm - perhaps they could have been distracted as a newt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cuthound said:

"

How can anyone end up in the canal when driving along a perfectly straight road, unless there was a mechanical failure?  

You'd be surprised. here in the Fens we have a network of waterways which look perfectly straight, and which often have unfenced roads running alongside them. You can reckon that every year a few cars take the plunge. The point is that they aren't in fact perfectly straight - every so often there is a bend which can catch drivers out. If you look at the photo in the link you'll see that there is a right-hand bend just before the point where the car left the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Athy said:

You'd be surprised. here in the Fens we have a network of waterways which look perfectly straight, and which often have unfenced roads running alongside them. You can reckon that every year a few cars take the plunge. The point is that they aren't in fact perfectly straight -  

And they have bumps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been down that stretch in the dark quite a few times, perhaps having a narrowboat headlight on the wrong side of the road put them off.

The corner that is reached when the road meets the canal is quite sharp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And they have bumps

BUMPS? Round these parts, those count as hills!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal for Norfolk used to be abbreviated on GP's notes as "NFN" as these folks are a bit odd.  Webbed feet and hands, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mross said:

Normal for Norfolk used to be abbreviated on GP's notes as "NFN" as these folks are a bit odd.  Webbed feet and hands, for example.

You forgot the said in jest smiley:D

Edited by rusty69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that piece of road and canal well, having driven and boated it several times.

At night it's a rat run between the housing estates in Sinfin and a few pubs, Ragley Boat Stop, Stenson Bubble and Crewe & Harpur.  When I lived in the area it was common to see a dunked car most weekends in the cut.

It's also a popular place to drop a stolen car off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

  When I lived in the area it was common to see a dunked car most weekends in the cut.

It's also a popular place to drop a stolen car off.

The police didn't indicate that was a problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mross said:

Normal for Norfolk used to be abbreviated on GP's notes as "NFN" as these folks are a bit odd.  Webbed feet and hands, for example.

Gimme six, boy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/03/2017 at 15:40, rusty69 said:

In that case, you may have offended some people from Norfolk!

 

Can't be more than two very extended families.  :)

Edited by mark99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×