New Beginnings

KMK21

Featured Posts

Hi All

New here so hi to everyone. We own NB Posset a 40ft stern cruiser

After 4 years of cruising up and down the K&A time for a change we thought. Enough of trips to Bath and too many pirates to contend with en route. 

Had our boat moved to Napton on Tuesday by road. Looking forward to continued adventures on both the Oxford and GU from this base and also it will be nice to get on to some rings for a change. Really looking forward to exploring more of our great canal network.

If you see us on your travels this year give us a wave !:boat:

Karen 

I hope you feel at home on the forum.

I also wish you all the best for your new adventure, but simple nosiness requires me to ask why did you not cruise the boat up the Thames and onto the south Oxford canal?

We may pass you very soon, as we are not too far from you.

Rog

Hi Rog

Good question and that was our preferred approach. It was all about timing alas. I really wanted to do the Thames :-( Sadly closure of the flight on Caen Hill, combined with our current marina mooring being up for renewal beginning of March and the unknown unknown of what would be happening on the Thames at this time of year (I am self employed Consultant in IT so I have live clients) - I could not risk being stuck in Abingdon for weeks/months on end trying to get there. Road was much easier solution giventhese factors aka time of year.

Thanks for the warm welcome !

Karen

Edited by KMK21
mis spelling
  • Greenie 1

Thank you for that, and I apologise again for being nosey.

The Folly at Napton is well worth a visit, and the village cafe/shop does excellent cakes and coffee with free wifi, which I find an irresistible combination.

Have fun.

Rog

• Greenie 1

Its not nosey at all ! Very good question (I would have asked the same thing). I really did want to cruise there.

We have heard about the Folly Inn being excellent so another endorsement :clapping:

Thank you once again 

PS does upload picture really have to be 0.1MB in size ? I have given up with that :-)

14 hours ago, KMK21 said:

Its not nosey at all ! Very good question (I would have asked the same thing). I really did want to cruise there.

We have heard about the Folly Inn being excellent so another endorsement :clapping:

Thank you once again 

PS does upload picture really have to be 0.1MB in size ? I have given up with that :-)

Uploading a picture to a post can be virtually any size within reason - it appears as a large thumbnail which when expanded goes to its original size.  I don't know about the gallery as I've never used it.

That said, I've not yet uploaded a pic using the new forum software, so here goes.   UM, scrub that.  It appears to have appeared full size.  I presume large ones would be resized to fit by the forum software.   This is AN IMPROVEMENT!  Thank you!

58ba8baab6a03_Landingcraft.jpg.cd4dedd12a4c5d6e090d78effac122a0.jpg

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
Picture uploading trial.

13 hours ago, Nev said:

I know you said Tuesday but would the boat have been on the A34 early Monday .... I passed a low loader wth a NB on the back  and the name rings a bell ?

No def Tuesday and would have been on A34 approx 2pm :-)

13 hours ago, john6767 said:

Welcome, which marina are you in a Napton, we are at Calcutt. Wwe will be having a trip down to Braunston tomorrow all being well.

Yes we are also in Calcutt. Taking a trip back tomorrow to "unpack" everything. Thanks 

Welcome KMK21 I'm sure you will soon appreciate the move, Napton is an excellent choice we used to be at Calcutt and would still be were it not for the impracticality of getting there from home in a day.  Your cruising ground is worlds away from what you have been used to on the K&A but I had better keep my opinions to myself there it seems to have upset people in the past.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I had better keep my opinions to myself there it seems to have upset people in the past.  

That's not a valid reason for keeping them to yourself. After all, the people you haven't upset are (probably) the silent majority

12 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I was simply being respectful to the OP in not stimulating another argument about the state of the K&A, the last time I expressed an opinion I seem to recall it touched a nerve.  

I thought it was the 'lack of movement' that caused the problems (not the state of the waterway).

C&RT 'Project Update'

May-July

In terms of moving between neighbourhoods, during the period six 14-day sighting reports have been completed.  147 boats have not moved since the last 14 day sighting.  They have been contacted by text, email or phone to remind them to move, or if there is a reason that they cannot move to contact the Trust.  93 have been contacted once, 36 have been contacted twice, 12 have been contacted three times and 6 have been contacted on four or more occasions. 

As a result of receiving multiple 14 day reminders, 18 boats have been sent a letter reminding them that if they do not follow the Local Plan they may attract the attention of enforcement officers.   

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I was simply being respectful to the OP in not stimulating another argument about the state of the K&A, the last time I expressed an opinion I seem to recall it touched a nerve.  

Please don't worry guys. We have our own opinions of the K&A having cruised it up and down for the last 4 years. Good and not so good. We are really looking forward to not only a change of scenery but hopefully not as many hire boats in such a confined distance.  We are also very lucky in that it takes the same amount of time for us to get to Calcutt from home as it did to Bradford on Avon to our last marina (1 hour 20 min) just the opposite direction. Result........ so a no brainer for us :clapping:

47 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

We are really looking forward to not only a change of scenery but hopefully not as many hire boats in such a confined distance.   :clapping:

Napton Narrowboats, Calcutt Narrowboats, Black Prince at Wigrams Turn, GUC at Braunston, Rugby Narrowboats, Clifton Narrowboat, then the other side Oxfordshire Narrowboats and Oxford Collage Cruisers plus a couple of small ones, no there aren't many in your area now.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Napton Narrowboats, Calcutt Narrowboats, Black Prince at Wigrams Turn, GUC at Braunston, Rugby Narrowboats, Clifton Narrowboat, then the other side Oxfordshire Narrowboats and Oxford Collage Cruisers plus a couple of small ones, no there aren't many in your area now.

What I meant was hopefully not all with a four mile stretch gunning it to and from Bath every weekend :-)

I was using "state" of the canal in a very general sense.  OK there are clearly a lot of so-called boaters with no respect for the rules but CRT don't help themselves by failing to maintain the canal in such a manner that there is more elbow room, so to speak.  The last time we cruised the K&A I concluded that this is a deliberate ploy to squeeze the liveaboards off the canal but if that is the case, it isn't working.  The lack of decent overnight moorings combined with the anarchic attitude of many liveaboards  combines to make for an unpleasant cruising experience.  If all canals were like the K&A I wouldn't have a boat.

• Greenie 2

Welcome to the forum.

We got a bit fed up with the K&A and sold the boat to buy a larger one, moved to Clattercote Wharf near Cropredy. Stayed there for nine years, now live onboard, presently in Chester.

Enjoy Calcutt, a marina with a good reputation.